Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea's Best Player

• 07-01-2004 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

So who do think is Chelsea's best player?

I know that they're not all there in the poll but as i'm sure you all know it's limited to 10.

Feel free to add your own choice if it's not there.

B.

Who is Chelsea's best player??? 51 votes

Carlo Cudicini
    0% 0 votes
    John Terry
    3% 2 votes
    Wayne Bridge
    1% 1 vote
    Marcel Desailly
    0% 0 votes
    Claude Makelele
    0% 0 votes
    Damien Duff
    0% 0 votes
    Frank Lampard
    64% 33 votes
    Joe Cole
    25% 13 votes
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    3% 2 votes
    Adrian Mutu
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

The Duffer or Lamps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

'Tis between Duff, Lampard and Cudicini for me.

Probably go for Duff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Lampard is finally producing the goods. He has been one of the best in the premiership this season. Duff has made a good start to his Chelsea career and is has proved his worth but I think Lampard shades it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

IMO Duffers pulls most of the strings at Chelsea and they miss him a lot when he is not playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I voted Lampard, I think duff does play very well, but Lampard has been excelling in almost every game and he's scored a few goals too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Lamps all the way. Amazing player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Lampard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

WOW!

I'm surprised at how many people haven't mentioned Mutu.

Is this question "Who is chelsea's most valuable player" or "who is chelseas best player"... no that doesnt really say all i mean to ask either.

What im tryin to say is - is the question based on skill or how well they have played this season?

If its best player - i would have to say mutu without a shadow of a doubt. No we haven't seen the full him yet, but his moments of brilliance just blow me away. You can see that he is going to be a very very valuable asset to chelsea in the future and I would say he is probably the most gifted player at chelsea.

As for chelsea most prized possesion this season - it would have to be lampard, i think duffer could have competed with him if he didn't get injured. But lampard has had an outstanding season so far!

Mutu's hit a dry run and he hasn't played constantly either

Originally posted by irish1
    Mutu's hit a dry run and he hasn't played constantly either

But that doesnt stop someone from being their "best player". Look at micheal owen - is he not liverpools best player?

If henry stopped scoring goals would you still class him as a world class player - i think so....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tomED
    But that doesnt stop someone from being their "best player". Look at micheal owen - is he not liverpools best player?

If henry stopped scoring goals would you still class him as a world class player - i think so....

Well your saying which player has the best repetation, or which has been the best player in the past. I don't think Mutu has done enough in hi time at chelsea to say he is there best player.

Owen is only pools best player when he's fit which is rare these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

1.Duff
    2.Terry
    3.Lamps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Lampard definatly,he's Chelsea's Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

John Terry, who Imo is criminally under-rated.
    Gallas is too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

BaZmO* u should have Gallas in there instead of desailly

I still think its Duff and they are missing his creativity badly , look at their results since he got injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I agree with the poll, only I'd have lampard ahead of duffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Lampard has been good but Duff is their main man in my opinion. Their results have been poor since hes been injured and tonight vs Liverpool when they were a goal down they couldn't find that creative spark to unlock the Pool's defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Duff has been amazing and its between him and Frank. Lamps get my vote the most improved player in the PL, he has refined his game.

• Advertisement

Well your saying which player has the best repetation, or which has been the best player in the past. I don't think Mutu has done enough in hi time at chelsea to say he is there best player.

Owen is only pools best player when he's fit which is rare these days

I never said which player it was the player that had the best reputation at all - If you read my first post you will see I asked the question what were we to base our opinions on.

Whether Mutu has done enough or not for for chelsea doesn't make him a bad player or a worse player than he is.

It's a bit weird that you say that owen is only liverpools best player when he is on form - so who would you choose to have in your team - Owen or Heskey? I know what I would answer.

I have watched lampard since the start of the season - good and all that he is, whats made him different this year is that he is actually finishing his chances, and finishing them wonderfully - but the rest of his play isn't anything to write home about. - it's good, but not as good as his shooting technique has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Veron! :D

Are yas all mad? You're only saying Duff on account of his Irishness. He's a great player, but Mutu is the man. Lampard is dangerously overrated aswell. There are a load of really great players at Chelsea but Mutu has the class. Shame about Makele's breakdown into ****eness...he had potential that kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

Why Crespo and Veron are not listed?

I have watched lampard since the start of the season - good and all that he is, whats made him different this year is that he is actually finishing his chances, and finishing them wonderfully - but the rest of his play isn't anything to write home about. - it's good, but not as good as his shooting technique has been.
    I completely agree with that. I think it was the Lazio match at home he was invisible in the first half until he hit the bar at the 45th minute. He then played well in the second half and scored and gets MOM. Thats his problem he so inconsistent unlike someone like Roy Keane. He doesn't run as much as he should with Makelele in the team.
    Are yas all mad? You're only saying Duff on account of his Irishness. He's a great player, but Mutu is the man.
    I agree with you that if this poll was done in England Duff probably wouldn't win it but a poll was done a while back for best keeper in premiership and Given didn't win it so people must believe that Duff deserves it. But if you think about it, if Duff was Brazilian I bet he would come out on top in any poll and this has been said loads of times on the Chelsea 606 board.

In fact I am going to do a poll on a British site and I will post the results in a while.

Originally posted by DUX
    Because they are Argentinian. ;)

It's a bit weird that you say that owen is only liverpools best player when he is on form - so who would you choose to have in your team - Owen or Heskey? I know what I would answer

off topic/

Well I said when he's Fit not on form, I was simply pointing out that a player who misses so many gams can't really be the teams best player because he's not contributing as much as a player that plays week in week out.

off topic/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Originally posted by The Muppet
    IMO Duffers pulls most of the strings at Chelsea and they miss him a lot when he is not playing.

Spot on there!
    Thats why they lost 4-2 to Charlton!
    Not great without him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by DUX

As I said, there is only room for 10 names on the list and tbh i didn't think that anyboby would vote for them if their names had of been included in the list!
    In fact I am going to do a poll on a British site and I will post the results in a while.

Good idea! But i could probably tell you the results.

1 - Lampard
    2 - Terry
    3 - Cole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

I would have voted for them :-) (Veron & Crespo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

Damien Duff is the best player Chelsea have. That's not a biased Irish opinion either, that's based on pure footballing ability and the fact that, in my opinion, he seems to be the player Chelsea miss most when he's absent.

His Irishness had absolutely no bearing on my Vote for him either.

Originally posted by Attractive Nun
    Are yas all mad? You're only saying Duff on account of his Irishness.

His Irishness has very little to do with it. the fact of the matter is that Chelsea miss him badly. Mutu is a great player but if hes out they still have Crespo/Hasselbaink and the crying blonde guy Eidur. Lampard is also a fine player and he has improved immensely but hes still not 100% consistent and likewise to Mutu hes far more easier to replace temporarily than Duff.

Are yas all mad? You're only saying Duff on account of his Irishness.
    As promised, I posted a poll up on a British Forum and the results were not that different to ours except the Duff-Lampard votes were in Lampards favour. I think most can now agree that it is between Duff and Lampard and nationality played a part in both polls.

Results:
    William Gallas
    Claude Makelele ----1
    Damien Duff
    Frank Lampard
    Adrian Mutu
    Everyone Else

So, while the English are saying we are voting for Duff because he is Irish, we are saying they are voting for Lamps because he is English. I still firlmy believe though, if they were both Brazilian Duff would win the vote.:)

Even Andy Gray and Martin Tyler highlighted how much chelsea were missing Duff vs Liverpool. That says a lot as they are both fairly neutral

Originally posted by Attractive Nun
    Veron! :D

Shame about Makele's breakdown into ****eness...he had potential that kid.

Form is temporary and class is permanent and Claude is class. He was doing a 3 mans job against Liverpool, where he lacks in height he makes up in his ability to read passes and breakdown attacks. Petit is a better passer slightly but you wouldn't see Petit making a dash back to help the defenders in which Makka has done a countless number of times this season.

• Advertisement

So, while the English are saying we are voting for Duff because he is Irish, we are saying they are voting for Lamps because he is English.

I Had a look at that other poll eirebhoy and quit a few of the Voters are quoting the players nationality as the reason for Voting. Either they are more honest or more blinkered than us , , you'll have to make your own mind up on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

duff because he is one of the best players in the premiership and very soon that will be Europe aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

What's all the hype about Frank Lampard? Duff is easily better than Lampard. The English have him ahead of Duff because he's English, I have him ahead because he's a better player. Chelsea have been shít since he got injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Originally posted by G
    What's all the hype about Frank Lampard? Duff is easily better than Lampard. The English have him ahead of Duff because he's English, I have him ahead because he's a better player. Chelsea have been shít since he got injured.

Couldn't agree more. Chelsea are missing Duff desperately. He didn't score a lot, but he certainly setup a lot of goals!

off topic/

Well I said when he's Fit not on form, I was simply pointing out that a player who misses so many gams can't really be the teams best player because he's not contributing as much as a player that plays week in week out.

off topic/

Which is where I don't agree with you - a player missing games or not contributing isn't going to win player of the year, but he can still be the best player they have.

• Advertisement

Ah Duff is a winger and FL is a CM totally diff type of players. One of the things Duff lacks to his game is goals.
    In The PL He has scored away to Wolves, away to Leeds and the brilliant solo against The Barcodes (Newcastle)
    But he has made loads of assists.
    :)

Another point to note is that Duff has performed and done outstanding at the highest level i.e. the World Cup whereas Lampard hasn't and is struggling to break into a poor england midfield (good on paper but lets face it, its hardly effective and Scholsey has been poor since Sven took over)

Advertisement