Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB login probs

• 07-01-2004 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37 bluedaemon

Has anyone else noticed probs on login to IOLBB?

I am getting a invalid user name or password message occasionally but if I just press the button to get it to try again it usually works immediately or after a try or two.

I was nowhere near the cap (around 6GB) when this started last month and I still amn't (at about 2GB). I mention this because I believe the message some of you were getting when you were blocked out for going over the cap was something like this?

Anyway, please let me know. If it doesn't stop soon I might ring 'em but we all know how much good that does.

Could be on my end I suppose but I doubt it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Yeah, been having that prob too since after Christmas, nothing to do with cap.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 robroy

Yes, I have been having problems for the past few weeks. I need to log on up to 3 or 4 times to get connected. My usage for Oct, Nov and Dec has not been higher than 1GB in total, so there is no association with excess usage. The password also gets lost when a logon fails so it's not a matter of hit 'retry'.

As I build / reconfigure my setup I at first thought it was my fault, but it happens on a stable PC also that had worked perfectly for October and November.

I've also been a victim of overcharging. I took the IOLBB offer of free installation and first month free in October. First Bill on Christmas Eve was over 300euro, not the 49.95 I expected for the first 2 months ( 1st free).
    That coupled with no invoice for the service, just a direct debit on my account has left a very disgruntled user here, waiting for a promised refund. I did get a reply from customer care after 2 days promising the refund.

...on a calll... may be the exchange? Apparently some €ircon exchanges are corrupting the login. Ring IOLBB tech supp on 1890 923 111 anyway, 'cos if you don't, they won't realise how many users this is affecting.

End of call. Will be getting line tested :eek:

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Tell us how you get on Oneweb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 bluedaemon

Originally posted by robroy
    The password also gets lost when a logon fails so it's not a matter of hit 'retry'.

That's been happening to me too. Half-thought I was imagining it though as I couldn't see how an external system (ie €ircom/Esat idiots) could be affecting Windows' password storage services. (And I was sure/hopeful that it wasn't anything on my side).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Carbon Blob

I've been gettin this on UTV aswell for the last month or so, it remembers my PW though so it's not a hassle to just hit redial a few times. Tis a relief to see I'm not alone with this. Jesus I'd figured I'd nuked my settings somehow, half expecting to try and login one day and just be refused point blank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Originally posted by Carbon Blob
    I've been gettin this on UTV aswell for the last month or so, it remembers my PW though so it's not a hassle to just hit redial a few times. Tis a relief to see I'm not alone with this. Jesus I'd figured I'd nuked my settings somehow, half expecting to try and login one day and just be refused point blank.

Ditto, Ditto and Ditto Ditto!

On the UTV forum they seem to think it's possibly a Win XP problem, but I'm on Win 98se!!

So it seems to be IOL and UTV on all platforms. Then the TS guy's diagnosis of the pre-Christmas problem with €ircon exchanges seems to be a good one. He said they thought it should have been fixed by €ircon round Christmas.

Anyway, IOL said they haven't received many reports. They won't do anything if they're not told about a problem.
    PPL on UTV, I'd advise ya to call UTV tech supp too.

What's the earliest you've experienced this problem? Might explain why (I thought) I needed a password change at the very start of December.

It is what it's.

Ive solved the problem on my machine (Win2k). What I did was bring up the local area connection thingy, itll show youve been connected for a few days, choose "disable" then connect it again.

Then delete your existing dialup for IOL/UTV or whatever, create a new one.

I did those two things and it isn't happening for me anymore.

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    Ive solved the problem on my machine (Win2k). What I did was bring up the local area connection thingy, itll show youve been connected for a few days, choose "disable" then connect it again.

Then delete your existing dialup for IOL/UTV or whatever, create a new one.

I did those two things and it isn't happening for me anymore.
    Nope, didn't work. Also needed the CD to re-enable.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement

Doh, soz. Hehe, worked for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

yes happens me too, usually after i redial a couple of times it lets me log in, but today it just wouldn't. i even restarted the puter too, which normally works. eventually tried retyping the password and it worked. its getting annoying now.... this as well as missing out on the eircom ipod offer....why did i choose Bt again?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

I was getting this too but then I got me a ethernet modem and I haven't had any problems since. So, could be to do with the crappy USB modem they give you for "free".

Thanks for the idea Lex_Diamonds, but could you be more precise in this 'local area connection thingy'. I'm also on Win2K and none of the settings panels I could find sound like your 'connection thingy'. My connection never stays up for more that a few minutes if I'm not using it, in spite of choosing 'never' signoff. I'm guessing that you are referring to the icon in the right hand side of the tray with a double screen, and I only see a disconnect there.
    If it's a settings problem then the zero assistance that comes out of the IOL BB box is part of the problem. But why should that have changed from mid December?

But why should that have changed from mid December?

Personally I doubt it's a prob on our end, I'd say that eircom just fixed Lex's exchange around the time he tried that quite frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I would afto agree with getting some real h/w to handle the connection stuff; I have Router connecting me and I never have any probs...... It may be a combination of crappy h/w and something on the exchange, but some real h/w seems to mitigate the prob.

Thanks for the idea Lex_Diamonds, but could you be more precise in this 'local area connection thingy'. I'm also on Win2K and none of the settings panels I could find sound like your 'connection thingy'. ?

Sorry, hehe. Ok if you go into your dial-up networking folder then youll see an icon called "local area connection" along with the normal dial up icon. This is the one I was referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is it fair to say that most of you who are having this problem are using an external "modem" of some sort ?

I've been connected since July using a router and have never had problem ! Mind you I've hardly ever switched the thing off.

Has anyone using a proper router/ethernet connection like the Eircom supplied device had this problem ?

Tinky

I'm using the free USB Modem, but I have bought a good router which my son has borrowed. Looks like I should get it back and soon.

Originally posted by tinky
    Is it fair to say that most of you who are having this problem are using an external "modem" of some sort ?
    Yeah - using the IOL one (ZyZel Prestige 630-11)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I've had similar problems connecting to IOL using two seperate configurations;

1) Win XP Home client and Zyxel USB modem
    2) Win XP Home client, Netgear Wireless router/modem (where the IOL username is configured on the Netgear box)

Number 2 above would seem to rule out any issues relating to storage of the password on the client PC.

Having said that, it seems to have been generally behaving itself last night & today.

Originally posted by RainyDay
    I've had similar problems connecting to IOL using two seperate configurations;

1) Win XP Home client and Zyxel USB modem
    2) Win XP Home client, Netgear Wireless router/modem (where the IOL username is configured on the Netgear box)

Number 2 above would seem to rule out any issues relating to storage of the password on the client PC.

Having said that, it seems to have been generally behaving itself last night & today.

I have also found that it has been better last night and today. Certainly indicates it is outside our own area of control.
    Looks like getting my Netgear modem back will not be a miracle cure. I only get the password lost when it is rejected as invalid. Is that a feature of the WIN2K or XP logon code whenever it is found to be incorrect? I can see the logic of programming it that way if you really do have it entered incorrectly. Could both Netgear and MS be using the same reasoning?

A quick test just now with an incorrect logon id produced the observed effect of dropping the entered password and the checked flag for Save Password reset. Looks like that's the way it works in response to the returned error code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I guess it's an IOLBB problem so - but in the 7 or 8 months I've had IOLBB here I have had no problems. I thought it may have been a problem peculiar to Windows.

tinky

OK, I had a call from IOLBB tech support. Went through a driver uninstall/reinstall ('cos they reckoned the modem was sending the wrong password) and...

"Error 691: Check username and password"

D'OH

So tech supp said he'd escalate the prob & get back to me if there's any development.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

It seems to work ok if I use network connections and not auto-dial in IE.

In IE its almost guaranteed not to work if I don't disconnnect the connection before shutting down(still doesn't work other times though)

"Error 691: .... Check username and password" is also the message I get whenever this happens.
    I said a few days ago that it had got better, but 7.00 to 8.00 yesterday evening ( Thursday 15th Jan) it was impossible to sign in so I had to give up. Seems OK this afternoon, Friday.

A feature of the Error 691 from IOLBB is that it takes time for it to happen, unless I have used the signon program after it has removed my password, in which case I get a much speedier response to say that ID & PW are incorrect.
    If you combine these two observaions I'm beginning to think that it seems associated with busy times on the network, and that their internet server is just unable to cope. Somewhere on the reply chain a timeout is being interpreted as invalid ID.
    Next time I get rejected I must try an incorrect ID and see how fast it responds. I would have thought that a reply saying invalid should be as quick as for an accepted signon, if not actually quicker.

I also had extreme dificulty connecting yesterday evening - I connected eventually but I must have tryed at least 20 or 30 times before it accepted.

I'd have to agree that your timeout theory sounds likely - certainly when one takes into account when these probs are most apparent.

I have actually tried an incorrect id as you suggest and the time was about the same from what I could tell.

Thanks for that bluedaemon. I've tried again a few just now and I found that the Error IDs could be either 2 or 6 seconds, while a good ID was c. 2 secs. But the connection service is working quite well just now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

i see i'm not the only one having connection problems here!

taught it was my router (D-Link504) cause its giving me problems the whole time but reading this tread i guess it isn't

on now anyway so i'm happy did take a lot of attempts

might give iol a ring tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

I get and invalid user/pass message, have reset, retryed etc, nut still won't connect, this has happened before, but it always connected after about 7 attempts.

I thought it was a cutoff, but checked their usage metre and have 300MB left this month if cap is combined up/down (great 150MB per week til the end of the month damn this cap)

Advertisement