Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB login probs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

I've had the same problem over the last week - couldn't log on at all for about the last two hours. Tried rebooting the D-Link 300G+ modem and that didn't help at all (looking at the Admin web page for the modem I could see it was trying to log on but kept getting the "Auth. Failed" message).

I then changed the DNS settings on the Netgear wireless router from 192.111.39.1/4 to "Get Automatically From ISP" and clicked Apply which causes the router to reboot and was immediately able to log on. I think it probably had more to do with rebooting the router than changing the DNS settings. Next time I can't log on I'll try rebooting the router and will let you know what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

i cant connect at all, woop de fucking doo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Takes about 15 trys for me to log in now because of a invailed username/password bull ........right pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Originally posted by oneweb
    OK, I had a call from IOLBB tech support. Went through a driver uninstall/reinstall ('cos they reckoned the modem was sending the wrong password) and...

"Error 691: Check username and password"

D'OH

So tech supp said he'd escalate the prob & get back to me if there's any development.

I have also been getting this problem so I rang tech support and after about 10 minns of listing to sombody typing was also told he'd escalate the prob & get back to me if there's any development. I also mentioned this thread so he could not try and say it was just a problem with me.

I sugest for everybody to start ringing about this or they will prob just ignore it. Anyway if it is not fixed by March when eircom drops their price. I am going to tell them im fed up IOL have been non stop hastle and change to eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

Originally posted by clearz
    ......Anyway if it is not fixed by March when eircom drops their price. I am going to tell them im fed up IOL have been non stop hastle and change to eircom.

What about your IOL 12 month agreement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Listen im sure because of the hastle getting set up and the service not even working properly (Took me around 40 tries to get in one day) I have a case for breaking the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭meatball

Having severe login difficulties here with the Netgear DG834. Had the same with the USB modem before too. Connection gets dropped at least once or twice a day too, it's ridiculous.

I think I will call them too and intimidate the useless bastards into giving me a free month.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Originally posted by meatball
    Having severe login difficulties here with the Netgear DG834. Had the same with the USB modem before too. Connection gets dropped at least once or twice a day too, it's ridiculous.

I think I will call them too and intimidate the useless bastards into giving me a free month.

I have an ethernet modem/router setup and I notice my connection drops periodically too, but the modem reconnects automatically itself and I hardly notice.

The thing is that after it reconnects the IP address changes. Do you think IOLBB are deliberately dropping the connection to change the IP address so no one tries to host something with their ADSL connection? I know that they have a static-IP address option that costs about €100/month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Of course that's why. You're not allowed to host anything, it's against the TOS. Your IP will reset every 24 hours, possibly more. What's the big deal? Use DYNDNS if you're annoyed about your IP resetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Rumblefish

having been getting username/password login issue since xmas, though has now gotten way worse - was previously occasional and would last a few minutes, now its about 50-70% of the time. i'm on Galway city mervue exchange

Called IOL BB Support last night and the tech support dude was very keen to get the exact details of failed login attempts - he said they still have no idea what problem is and are deseperately trying to collect log files related to incidents.

Asked me to bear with them while they tried to sort it out. He said 'sure I'm having the same problem on my broadband connection at home', to which I said ' yeh but the difference is that you're not paying €45/mnth for your steaming pile of ****e'

The best thing to do is the following

1. report issue to IOL BB Support - make sure you get the 'Trouble Ticket' number
    2. Then email or even better call the following person to tell them the issue (quote the Trouble Ticket ID. The more people complain to this person, the greater emphasis Esat/IOL will give the issue

Niamh Murphy
    Complaint Officer
    + 353 1 4327117
    Grand Canal Plaza
    Upper Grand Canal Street
    Dublin 4
    Complaints@esat.com

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eth0_
    Of course that's why. You're not allowed to host anything, it's against the TOS. Your IP will reset every 24 hours, possibly more. What's the big deal? Use DYNDNS if you're annoyed about your IP resetting.

It doesn't bother me. A friend has NTL broadband in Belfast and, while they say it's dynamic IP, his IP address hasn't changed. So if he wanted, he could host. I'm just a little surprised that IOLBB actually go to the bother of resetting IP addresses.

I wouldn't dream of hosting my own stuff when I get fabulous hosting from properhosting.com for $4.95/month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Your IP will reset every 24 hours, possibly more. What's the big deal? Use DYNDNS if you're annoyed about your IP resetting.

I think if you have a DSL modem/router permanently connected you may find you have the same IP for up to 3 days, at least thats been my experience so far.

dyndns.org is a good service and overcomes the problem with dynamic IP addressing.

I don't think IOL or any of the others deliberately disconnect you to change the I.P., In the 7 ot 8 months I've been using the service I have no problems whatsoever with losing connection, and my IP changes regularly while the router/modem is on.

Tinky

I don't think IOL or any of the others deliberately disconnect you to change the I.P.,

Interestingly, just to test I gave my assigned IP addrress to a friend in London and asked him to access the seb server running on my PC. It worked but within a minute the IP address was changed.

Originally posted by eth0_

I think you will find that NO-Where on the TOS does it forbid a user from "hosting" as you put it. If it were to, that would render alot of internet applications unusable!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 robroy

Just checked back on this thread. I've actually been logging my signon responses by clock time and stop watch time to respond since last Sunday. I've logged 13 signons in total, most of which respond in about 2.5 seconds. I had only 2 failures, one after the other at 10:15 and 10:16 yesterday Wed 21st.
    The first of these failures responded after 7.89 seconds so my earlier thoughts about a loading problem might still have some foundation. However the second password error was returned in 2.47 seconds but even I could have entered the wrong password. 30 seconds later I signed in correctly.

I recon this connection service is much better than it has been. I used to experience disconnects when my internet acivity was idle, but my email is now checking for mail every 5 minutes, so disconnects no longer happens and I need to sign on much less frequently. I'm not sure of my exchange name, but it's south east Dublin.

If you are logging errors try to keep an accurate clocktime to help the IOL guys look at their system logs.

For new readers of this thread who are getting the invalid ID / password, could I remind you of the trivial problem that the password in your signon process is probably getting blanked out and you actually have to enter the password explicitely after every time you get a password reject - at least that is the way it happens on my W2K IOL BB connection icon. So hitting retry will never again work until you retype the password.

I'm sorry to be so obvious but there might just be someone out there that missed this discussion earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

I too have to frequently retry logins.

I wonder if it's to do with Radius / TACACS+, as this would explain the "domain" @IOLBB that we have to tack onto the end of the login - they could use the same Terminal Adapter / POP at the Eircom exchange for a variety of different providers.

I notice by using NSLOOKUP that the first few hops go through VLANs.

I suspect it's 802.1
    authenticate into authorized VLAN = choice
    client does DHCP after authentication

which is why we have those silly 169 addresses on the 8mb nic that hosts the PPPoE tunnel.

The cure will likely require some Cisco guru

Joseph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

i get it too and i dont know why. grrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Has anyone else noticed a partial improvement? My router has connected successfully first time (without me having to give it the usual virtual nudge) a few times over the past few days (though not every time).

Yes, Still some continued improvement compared with early January but also continued intermittant failures
    Eg Wed 28:
    10:46 error 691 after 2.64 sec wait
    10:47 OK
    13:45 OK
    22:15 691 after 9.62 second wait
    22:15 691 after 2.8 seconds
    22:16 OK
    Thurs 29
    10:20 OK
    13:20 OK
    Friday 30th
    9:46 691 (2.85 wait)
    9:46 OK
    13:35 691 ( 2.71wait)
    13:36 OK
    23:27 OK
    Sat 31st
    12:24 691 ( 7.85 wait)
    12:24 OK
    15:17 OK
    Sunday Feb 1st
    13:32 OK
    Clock times about 45 seconds ahead of GMT.

All successful times are around 2.7 seconds.
    Thats what I'm getting, and seeing it logged, it hints at, but does not prove my earlier suggestion that it could be a response to a server busy and a reject after a 5 second timeout leading to the default reply of password failure.
    This is similar to the pattern for the previous week, but I'm still not at all happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

Hmm, anyone else finding IOLBB up and down more often than Jordan's knickers this afternoon?

And as I type this, it's gone again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

yes!!!! well pissed off !!!!! trying to play xbox live with a few others who are on xbox live using IOL - and we all keep getting disconn'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Driving me insane! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

Probably jinx myself now, but did a restart of everything, pc, Linksys router, D-Link modem and seems to be fine again.

I knew it! Gone again as I was posting.

Yes, I lost it too but I'm only using internet occasionally.Was gone when I went to use it/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

i've restarted everything countless times - strange thing is , I turn on the laptop and i'm able to surf no problem - but as soon as i start playing xbox live, about 5 mins pass, and u see all the players suddenly drop out, then it drops for me

also my usage has stayed at ZERO all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

15:30 01/02/2004
    errors
    718 The connection timed out waiting for a valid response...

734 The PPP link was terminated

691 Invalid password

plus I've been disconnected twice within a minute of connecting too :mad:

Everyone ring them on 1890 923 111 and give 'em hell!! I have.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It's the network that is having problems not your hardware; you could have a Vodoo dance around your router and it wont change a thing - Eircon will afto fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

My connection started giving problems about 10 o clock last night ! reset the router and all was ok again but 3 times between then and now it's failed. :mad:

I'm on the Swords exchange bt the way.

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

IOLBB complaints team called me back yesterday telling me that this problem had been resolved. Sure enough, my router connected first-time automatically last night & again this morning, without me having to give it the usual nudging that was required in previous weeks.

Having said that, the response times when browsing seem to be a bit slow, but I'm not certain if that relates to IOL or my own router or what. Ping times to local sites are pretty good (20-30 ms).

Are others still seeing the original password/login problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

All ok now - but I thought download times were crap last night. Any one else?

Advertisement