Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel Prestige 630 on Linux

• 07-01-2004 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Just wondering are there any linux drivers for the modem supplied with IOL and UTV broadband (Zyxel prestige 630-11).
    I can't find any linux drivers on the zyxel website, but I was hoping that someone knows of a third-party driver, I'd prefer not to have to fork out for an ethernet modem as I have no real need for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 bluedaemon

there are yes, go to:

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=84006&release_id=190363

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=84006&release_id=194036

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=84006&release_id=194038

i researched this a while back but it looked too complicated to get it to work to be bothered.

If you do get it to work, let me know what you did and how you found it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Thanks for the links, I wasn't able to find those on google.
    It'll be a while until I actually get around to trying the drivers out, but many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    Just wondering are there any linux drivers for the modem supplied with IOL and UTV broadband (Zyxel prestige 630-11).
    I can't find any linux drivers on the zyxel website, but I was hoping that someone knows of a third-party driver, I'd prefer not to have to fork out for an ethernet modem as I have no real need for it.
    According to this recent post IOL are now providing the Zyxel prestige 623, which has ethernet and USB ports.

(Not much use if you already have the 630, I suppose).

Originally posted by Ripwave
    According to this recent post IOL are now providing the Zyxel prestige 623, which has ethernet and USB ports.

I'm with UTV anyway

Not really, no!

• Advertisement

I'm going to try getting the modem to work under linux this weekend.
    I'm gonna be using mandrake 9.2 by the way.

I'll post again then.

i think that that is the same version I am using myself....

if you get it to work pls send detailed info on howto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

i used the drivers and details on the sourceforge site on Redhat 9

i've gotten so far as to get it to see the USB modem, recognise it, load the correct drivers

but the actual adsl connecting bit is where it's falling over .. the last ****ing step :)

so sod it, i'm gonna buy an eth modem at some stage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ye the guys on ILUG were complaining about the maturity of the drivers they are at an Alpha/Beta stage.

Originally posted by bluedaemon
    Not really, no!
    What happens if your modem "stops working" - do IOL replace it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

you best bet is to say you have a Mac with the latest OS on it

the USB modem cant work with it, so they HAVE to send out the eth one

I got drivers for Mac OSX with my modem and they're on the zyxel website aswell.
    I presume they would work on panther and jaguar.

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    I got drivers for Mac OSX with my modem and they're on the zyxel website aswell.
    I presume they would work on panther and jaguar.
    That's not necessarily a good assumption.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129395&highlight=panther

What happens if your modem "stops working" - do IOL replace it?
    since legally speaking you are just renting it from them and you have to return it at the end of the contract, etc I would say so yes that they would have to replace it - otherwise they would be in contract violation (failing to provide the service paid for, etc) AFAIK. Haven't really looked into it though.

Originally posted by bluedaemon
    since legally speaking you are just renting it from them and you have to return it at the end of the contract, etc I would say so yes that they would have to replace it - otherwise they would be in contract violation (failing to provide the service paid for, etc) AFAIK. Haven't really looked into it though.
    As IOL are now providing a modem with an ethernet port, it might be worth you while looking into it ;)

As IOL are now providing a modem with an ethernet port, it might be worth you while looking into it ;)
    indeed couldn;t be worse than their usb one although i would have to get an ethernet card then...but they aren't much these days AFAIK:)

Advertisement