Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text list comparison program wanted

Options
  • 07-01-2004 5:53pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've two text lists and I want to compare them to produce a third file the items from the second list that aren't in the first list.

FC don't do what I want
    FIND would be too slow

The program needs to be run in a batch file and accept filenames on the command line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

if you know java it'd take about 20 mins to get it up and running for you ... a batch file would be ok with it too so long as you've the jre installed

c++ and the like would be easy enough to write one too, but after that i haven't bothered with a google or anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Beyond Compare has scripting capability so it may be possible to use that. I don't doubt diff could probably manage it, but possibily only in conjuction with other unix tools and I'm not sure it's been ported to Win32 (unless you have Cygnus installed of course).

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Would CYGWIN 'diff' not work?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Doesn't the entire Cygwin distribution need to be install for any of the apps linked to it to work?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Here's the bare mnimum you'd need to install to get diff working, according the the CYGWIN setup program:

ash-20031007-1.tar.bz2
    base-passwd-1.1-1.tar.bz2
    cygwin-1.5.5-1.tar.bz2
    diffutils-2.8.4-1.tar.bz2
    libgettextpo0-0.12.1-3.tar.bz2
    libiconv2-1.9.1-3.tar.bz2
    libintl1-0.10.40-1.tar.bz2
    libintl2-0.12.1-3.tar.bz2
    texinfo-4.2-4.tar.bz2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There might be a MINGW compiled version of diff.

Or try WinMerge - http://winmerge.sourceforge.net/

Advertisement