Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Broadband Question

• 07-01-2004 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭

How easy it it to connect the modem iol provide? €190 seems ridiculus for someone to come out and fit it. Especially if it only takes a few minutes.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

You will probably get a better explanation from someone who went with IOL, but i got Esat Business and the guy who came out was there for an hour. He had to connect + install another socket in the room i wanted it in and stuff.

Then he set the modem up and showed me it working. Took him about an hour.

Dunno if its similar for iolBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

its a piece of piss, dont pay them to do it unless you know nothing about puters at all.

Cranoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i have iol bb.
    You get a modem+usb cable+plus driver cd(phon cord)
    you get around 3 filters.(2 have 1 end and 1 have a double end)

You connect all the filters in your phone sockets, an ordinary phone cord connects ur modem to one of the filters(u can have a phone coming out of this aswell).
    install the cd and thats it.

you get instructions but its extremley easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

i got my modem (iol) today but i also got a phone call saying i shouldn't have got it because my phone line exchange isn't broadband enabled ( which is a bit weird because my neightbour has it?! ) i was looking on the eircom website and it says my line is fine and my exchange is "live". should i just plug my modem in and hope for the best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

its all a very simple process as the others have said. Several people I know, who's knowledge of computers extends as far as Microsoft word and basic internet use, have successfully setup BB connections within an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Just plugging your modem in wont work im afraid as ur line needs to be switched on by IOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

the "nice" and "helpful" people in IOL said it was out of their hands and the line needs to be switched on by Eircom, and eircoms website says the exchange is already enabled. i didn't think iol had any power with regards switching on the lines as they belong to eircom?
    Any suggestions are appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

It takes no less than 3 minutes (Soooooooo simply), dont pay for them to do it.

If your really in the dark when it comes to computers, they give you a step by step guide on how to install it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Have you tried installing the filters to ALL the phone sockets in the home (you should do it to empty ones just to be safe) then install the USB modem and try and connect using the details you should already have(you filled them in when signing up for BB) and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 robroy

Don't forget the problem of a monitored alarm system that may be installed in the house. This also needs to be on the safe side of the filter and upstream of all the telephone equipment. Not trivial but you may be happier with an engineer to do that for you, if they know how.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anthony2

Hi,
    I want to sign up for IOL Broadband but am not really happy about having to pay for someone to install the system just because I have an alarm system on the line.
    Has anyone had any experience of self-install with an alarm system? If so how easy is it to self-install?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 robroy

Yes, I've installed with a monitored home alarm. I had however previously changed the wiring for the alarm to allow me to get a reasonable performance on 56kb dialup and that improved performace from dreadful to as good as 56kb gets.
    Essentially a monitored alarm is connected between the incoming line and the house phone system in series ( ie. all contact goes through the alarm monitor ) . This is necessary so that the Alarm Centre can be called even if the phone is in use, or off the hook.
    What you must do is insert one of the DSL filters ahead of this connection and allow ONLY the DSL connection to be connected to the real incoming line. My alarm system throws a dreadful signal on the line which spoils everything, but the filters sorted the problem completely.

So ---- incoming eircom 2 wire --> > -- split 2 way
    1 way
    >phone filter
    ? Alarm controller
    >rest of phone system
    2nd way to location of modem ----> filter DSL ---> Modem ---> PC

I found a super site that explained in in diagram using Google with < house alarm internet > or similar. I lost the bookmark when my HD died so don't have a reference.

NB: repeat. Only allow the DSL filtered connection to bypass the Alarm controller else a Control Centre Message can be prevented. The DSL connection, being on a different frequency band does not interfere.

Good Luck

Advertisement