Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware recommendation: NIC

Options
  • 07-01-2004 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I'm building a server soon and I was wondering would I be better off going for two 3Com905C-TX-Ms (€30 each) or try and find a 4-port 100MBit PCI card that would allow an aggregated 400MBit FD link to the switch?
    I'm not too sure how much these cost, I'd imagine around the €130-150 mark.
    it's for an x86 server which will probaly be running Debian or RedHat.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can get gigabit cards from €25 or ~€50 if you get a good brand - have a look at komplett website - both come with linux drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Don't have Gigabit switches :)

The motherboard I'm looking at has an onboard NIC, but I doubt it's really up to much.
    Don't know what the exact chip is.
    Motherboard will be an MSI K7D Master-L if I can't find an Asus A7M266-D

Hence why I'm looking at dual or quad cards to setup a trunked connection to the switches (whcih would be trunked together too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Intel Dual Port Pro is a good well supported with rock solid drivers Dual NIC and can be aggregated along with an onboard Intel Nic (if present) to give 300Mbits-ish about €100-120

M

Will that 3-port aggregation work under linux?
    The MSI mobo I'm looking at has an intel onboard NIC.
    Not sure what exact chipset or generation, but it'd be about 2 years old anyways.

That would be a nice solutioon alright :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Note that Port Trunking (at the switch) is called Teaming in Intel and Bonding elsewhere.

Then start here

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bonding/

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-006103-prd38.htm

M

• Advertisement

Thanks Muck

Advertisement