Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing up multiple CDs to a DVD software?

• 07-01-2004 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Right. Now before I begin! This is not for piracy purposes. All of the stuff I'll be backing up will be owned by me or be freeware.

I don't know if this is the board for the job but, after checking the list of tech boards, this is where I'm going to ask.

I have a DVD burner and blank DVDs. In order to make the pile of crap, which I used to call my cd collection, a little smaller I want to burn the cds i have onto dvds. I want to know if its possible to maybe put autorun software onto the dvd which allows you to choose which cd you want to run or is there even such a thing in existance?

Also I want to know if it's possible to make the DVD have a boot loader to allow you to choose which cd to boot into, in case i put say Redhat Linux, FreeBSD etc.. onto a disc?

Does anyone know of such a wonderful program?

Do i need to explain what I'm looking for better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

You can make a simple autorun menu with html or use Flash if you want an exciting multimedia presentation.

A simple html file with links to the various applications would be the easiest solution.

Create a html file called menu.htm comprising named hyperlinks to all the Apps. Then
    create a file called Autorun.inf with the following lines:

[autorun]
    open=menu.htm
    Name=Backup CD1 - CD9
    Label=Whatever

Put both files in the root directory of the DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

With a html file it would probally pester you to download each file you pick(.exe's). Think theres a way to do it that it runs by default in IE tho.

I think he wants like cd images on the dvd and be able to select them and run them as if the cd is in a cd drive? Maybe I'm way off, but a way to do this in windows would be to get yourself a copy of clone cd (don't think you can get it any more, but think alcohol 120% do the same job), create images of the cds you want, then but the images onto the dvd and let daemon to run the image of the cd. This probally only works in windows if at all (probally would, never tried it).

As for booting from a cd image on a dvd, I wouldn't know about that. Maybe you'd be better off just getting the important files off the cd and sticking them in a folder then just exec each file manually? Seems like a lot of work, unless you need the comp to think theres an actual cd in the drive, game cd or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

oh, as for the menu in windows if you just select to use the files, I found Multimedia Builder to be quite good for making them, not free tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Do as sir random said this should work, as for making the CD multi-booting, It may be possible, when you burn the ISO image/s of whatever linux distro/s you want, It will only boot the first ISO, you may be able to edit the file that controls the booting process on the CD "boot.ini" I think, Have never done this so Good luck

Thanks joePC.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Personally I'd rip all the audio Cd's to MP3 with audiograbber. Then I'd sort them into folders and burn them to DVD. You could setup winamp playlists if you wanted and burn those as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Originally posted by daveg
    Personally I'd rip all the audio Cd's to MP3 with audiograbber. Then I'd sort them into folders and burn them to DVD. You could setup winamp playlists if you wanted and burn those as well.

did you read my post? :confused: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The Daemon tools ways is the best way to Launch individual CD's but you need Daemon tools or a Similar program to run each ISO.

So in short, make Images of each CD with a tool like NERO or Clone CD. And copy the image files to DVD and mount the images with Daemon tools, it acts like a new CD drive.

You could use a program like Multimedia builder to launch the images into Daemon tools using command lines.

Advertisement