Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance Claim

Options
  • 07-01-2004 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

well, i was burgled during xmas & just wondering will my house Insurance premium go up much with a claim or do you just lose a no claims discount. I've been insured with a new insurance firm for a couple of months & I'll be claiming for a computer, xbox and some cash... just interested to know if anyone had the unfortune of experiencing the same...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I don't think there are any no claims bonuses for home insurance. However, it might restrict your flexibility in changing insurance companies when you shop around at renewal time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be sure in making a claim that (a) it exceeds the excess on the policy (b) that you complied with the terms of the policy regarding things like window locks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Originally posted by Victor
    Be sure in making a claim that (a) it exceeds the excess on the policy (b) that you complied with the terms of the policy regarding things like window locks etc.

Thanks Guys.....

Why (a) ? Is it because they wont give me the whole value of the things stolen ? I bought the computer a couple of months ago for over e1700, i hope i get the whole value for it..

btw, i am insured for E26,000 contents.

You will normally have to pay for the first part of a claim yourself (it's designed to stop people claiming for very small things which would incur disproportionate overhards for the insurance company). This will vary from policy to policy, but I imagine most household policies would state eur100-500

• Advertisement

Thanks m8
    :)

Oh, I presume you have already told the insurer, most insist you tell them ASAP.

Yes I have
    :)

Advertisement