Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EDO DIMMs??

• 07-01-2004 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭

I've just found out that an old Mac I've just obtained can only take EDO DIMM's. All my DIMM's are SDRAM. I didn't even know EDO DIMM's existed.

Does anyone have any idea where I'm going to find 64MB EDO (or FPM which I've *never* heard of) DIMM's these days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by MYOB

Does anyone have any idea where I'm going to find 64MB EDO (or FPM which I've *never* heard of) DIMM's these days?

I know my memory(no pun intended) is a bit vague on all this but are you sure you're not talking about SIMMS (single inline memory modules).

FPM = fast page mode which is slower than EDO. Komplett have FPM and EDO simms under memory | simms, and have a few instock.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yeah, 72 pin simms.
    as far as i can remember, edo simms have to be in matched pairs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

AFaik MYOB ordinary SDRAM DIMMs should work.
    How many pins on them?
    What memory specs does the mac say it requires?

Try looking at EBay, Crucial.com or Apple for old stuff matched to your machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, I do mean EDO or FPM *DIMM's*. Not SIMM's. SDRAM is a no-go, I've even tried it already.

The manual says, if I remember correctly (its not at home for some reason), that it needs 70ns EDO or FPM DIMM's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Although uncommon, there were EDO DIMMs. You have to remember that SIMM or DIMM is just packaging, which has nothing to do with the memory type.

EDO DIMMs can be install one at a time, unlike SIMMs (DIMM = Dual Inline Memory Module, you can guess what the S in SIMM stands for).

As you should gather from the above, there is no performance advantage from EDO DIMMs vs SIMMs. The machines Ive seen EDO DIMMs in were high end workstations and servers, the usage of DIMMs saved space and\or increased the max amount of memory installable, in theory anyway.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

hey MYOB , i got a bag of EDO chips in work..

i'll bring a few to the next meet for you..

i hope your not giving up BeOS :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Originally posted by theciscokid
    hey MYOB , i got a bag of EDO chips in work..

i'll bring a few to the next meet for you..

i hope your not giving up BeOS :p

The machines for BeOS/PPC and for some kernel hacking on the OpenBeOS kernel :-)

Any idea on what size those are?

Thanks

Advertisement