Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 98 Problem

Options
  • 07-01-2004 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

My PC Starts fine but when I log in it the backround just comes up and the startup goes no further.I can enter task manager with ctrl+alt+del and shut down or restart but thats all i can do. It doesn't matter if i'm in safe mode or not and the start up disk isn't helping either. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

What happens if, in Task Manager, you click File, Run, type explorer and hit return?

edit: oops, same mistake as joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Boot your PC normally, when its gets to the screen with no taskbar, press ctrl + ALT + DEL like you have done before then select new task then run type explorer.exe and hit enter, this should give you access..................................Ohh **** its windoze 98 has no task manager..

Try it anyway....

My advice upgrade the OS 98 stinks........?

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

how do i go about formatting the harddrive and reinstalling 98. the pc is for family use only. internet and email and the like. i have a laptop with xp for the serious stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

format c:
    make sure you have a startup disk first

can i make a startup disk without having to go into windows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

if you have a win98 cd you can use that to format.
    format c: /s will format the drive and copy dos to it but you will lose all information on that drive!
    try this first tho.
    hold in ctrl when booting into windows because it sounds like one of the programs that start when explorer starts is causing your computer to hang.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

You dont need astart up disk if you put cdrom first in boot sequence in bios and when you boot it will ask you if you to boot from cdrom.say yes and go from there.Or if you have windows cd copied to your harddisk press f8,command(second last in list) and get in this way to dos,find your win98 folder and do setup.Example:c:\windows\options\win98\setup(course this depends on wheather you have win98 cd on harddisk and route is only a example...regds kieran

ok i have it formatted with os saved. i dont have a 98 cd. so how do i reinstall from the harddrive.

do a c:\dir and if theirs a win98 dir ther just do the following
    cd\win98
    and then just type setup
    otherwise your kinda stuck till you get a copy of 98

i dont have a 98 cd. its one of those packard bell cd's which had the os preloaded already

• Advertisement

so the machine probaly wont have the win98 dir on it either.
    it cant hurt to check tho.
    did u mean the machine came preloaded with windows or that you have some sorth of cd with windows 98 on it?

i have a copy of 98 regular edition from a friend which won't let me install it because i hve win 98upgrade edition. it says i can't replace an older version.theres no win98 folder in the dir

machine came preloaded out of the box. just had to do the usual setp up stuff. no cd required.

sorry man i cant help you just ask a friend for a win98 cd and the rest is easy

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Afaik, when you have a packard with a pre loaded OS like this one (personalised by packard bell) The only way to get rid of it is to format the C drive using a 98 startup disk, because It wont let you use a normal win 98 Cd.

Once completly formatted, you can use the normal win 98 CD.

go bootdisk.com for win98 boot disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Press F8 when system detects hardisks etc,go second last option command prompt ithink it is this will give you c: then just add to it format(space bar)c: which should look like this c:\format c: then enter and say yes to loosing everything.Do you have your drivers on cds for graphics,sound etc?I think above should work or else do the bios method with win98 cd in it with cdrom as first boot.........

Advertisement