Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sod coms for schools, we want coms for ign!

Options
  • 15-02-2000 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

How about trying to organise a competition to raise money for new IGN servers, maybe try to get someone to sponser it?

Not me of course I'm busy sad.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Philanthropy = Good Publicity
    Good Publicity = Increase in popularity
    If Popularity is X and Money is Y
    X is directly proportional to Y
    Need I say more? sunglasses.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Inversly though. We ALL hate William Gates smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I think Gates gets blamed for a lot of things by trying to take credit for the work of his underlings

BTW I was expecting more support! sad.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

No such thing as bad publicity. Well, excluding that Slosh/novelty baloon type of publicity sunglasses.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

nah blitz im still at school smile.gif

and ****ed off at the (lack of) facilities

let the schools have their it
    works better all around like that

and anyway, whos going to click on a site every day to give 1p for a comp for the ign? (cept the 15 active ppl who still post in these boards)

• Advertisement

you're never going to learn anything anyway smile.gif

seriously - many years ago (3) when I was in school we had brand new top of the range computers - and no teacher who knew how to use them. When we finally got a teacher who could they were old and out of date.

i dont need no stinking teachers to show me how to use them smile.gif

I go up there at lunch time sometimes and after school occasionally for a quick game of something over the network. Its not bad. Teachers who knew their stuff would ruin my position as the technology authority in the school smile.gif

*I* run the IT department there.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

*cough* I still run the IT department in that school... by remote control tongue.gif

This is mainly as I'm the only person who knows what 90% of the hardware bought actually DOES... wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

How will monaghan ever survive if you two leave? smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Bah! why does a school need an 800MHz PIII??
    You could get many, many, 486's for that and hence get a better student:'puter ratio.
    When I was in school their'd be 3 of us per computer.

In my experience, you'll learn more from one issue of Personal Computer World, than a hundred computer classes in school.
    All I can remember from computers in school was that butt-hole of a science teacher showing us all how to format a floppy disk in Windows 3.1.... wow, big ****ing deal!

And I agree that the teachers that do IT classes haven't a clue.
    In my school, it was the maths or science teacher that would do the honour.
    What's needed are true Techies' to take over these classes.

And the thing that bothers me the most is where all this funding will come from when every school has a hundred computers and they all need to be upgraded.

• Advertisement

I know what all the hardware does rob, because any stuff too technical for Fub to understand, he went and lost it or something smile.gif

Like mon-it-ors and things.

Santa im in agreement about the PCW thing. And it 2 per puter i think at my school. But you need powerful computers to play games on while no ones looking smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My school has 28 Dell 233's on a nice fast LAN. Of course, nobody is ever allowed to use them. ffs...

Think of a nice 28-player TFC LAN smile.gif

And its the maths teachers who think they can run the network in my school.

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

Sod tfc. That could be used for educational purposes like aahh ummmm...group worksheets? or sumin or ah hmmmm.

Actually tfc sounds good. smile.gif
    OR BETTER YET!!!
    X-WING VS TIE FIGHTER ON A LAN!!!!!
    HOOOOOOOOOYEAAAAAH BAAABEEEEE!!!

One ring to rule them all, One ring to to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Off topic- whats a good server for X-Wing Vs Tie?

Or dark reign... drool...

Paladin are you a subscriber to alt.fan.tolkien?

Yes, computer classes in school suck. Teachers don't know how to use computers. Hence, people who DO know how to use computers are needed in schools. Problem: computer graduates who are good enough to teach can earn much more money doing computery stuff elsewhere.

Kids could be being taught a lot of computer stuff at school that would be amazingly beneficial to them in life. You can throw money at hardware in schools all you like, or even at training teachers to use computers, but it isn't going to solve the basic problem, that schools need dedicated computer personnell, and anyone good enough to do that job, is good enough to do a much higher paid job elsewhere.

Ja,
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

all you need to teach computers to kids is a european computer driving licence and a big stick and sure both of them are pretty asy to get your hands on.

In reply to ure question Blitzkriegar,
    X-wing V Tie F. isnt a server based game. Its really only multiplayer on a lan (maybe modem to modem? but that would b crap).
    To run it u need only a p133 of something but I suggest 200. 1 pc as a host and up to 15 others connected, I rekon a p200 could almost handle as a dedicated serv. that but to b safe use a pII or III prolly. Im not really sure since ive only networked with 3 usin my pII333 with no noticable problems.

One ring to rule them all, One ring to to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Wow Kali, you serious???!
    I've seen the ECDL exam and quite frankly I could do it in my sleep after having been out on the beer the night before.
    You should be able to tackle at least an MCP or MCSE exam before you get to teach anything about computers.

Yes, and a H.Dip.Ed as well. Teaching kids isn't something you just know automatically; it's quite a skill in itself.

• Advertisement

Nobody really teaches computers. I'm doing a degree in computer science and most of what I learned about computers I learned outside college. It's a bit ridiculous really, I could program an entire OS if I wanted to do but I know almost nothing about Win95/2000/Liunix.

I know MSN gaming zone have a place for XWing Vs Tie players to meet and set up a game over the internet but that's about all I know about it since the software download keeps crashing sad.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Aaah Blitzkrieger, I love you. you are so elequont and intelligent. you are so sexy and handsome, and dont forget learned. contrary to this post you are benevolent beyond your means and your writing is like music to my ears. when will you write a newsletter for me to subscribe to?

so you don't want a cup of tea?

smile.gif

spot the Father Ted reference

Advertisement