Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amd overheating?

• 07-01-2004 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

Hello

Just wondering what the top heat limit of a cpu 2600xp is ?.....I bought a 5900xt and it has pushed my computer heat to 31 c and the cpu to 64c under load :dunno:

I know that isnt good for it so im going to buy one more 120mm fan and i was considering a new heat sink how hard is it to install a heat sink ?

Also is it possible my gigabyte mother board Ga-7va rev 2.0 is just reading the temp wrong :dunno:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

If your reading the temp under the bios then its 100% right......

Get an exhaust fan and a new HSF, 64C is way too hot.

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

What sort of heat sink are you using on your amd? I have a 2000XP and I was using the supplied heatsink and fan for a while and even though it was fitted correctly I was experiencing temeratures like what you are getting infact several times the computer shut down automatically to protect the CPU this was indicated by a message on reboot. I ended up getting a volcano heatsink from elara on the recomendation of someone here and I haven't looked back I get steady temps of about 42 - 46 degrees now even under heay load. I think the motherboard temp reading are quite inaccurate anyway I have a temp probe sitting right next to the processor core and that displays the temp on an lcd.

Hope you get it sorted anyway.

Red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

The MAX operating temperature of an AMD Athlon XP is 90-95 Degrees Celcius.
    This is accoring to the AMD Athlon spec sheet from AMD themselves.

Yes folks, thats boiling - but not out of spec.
    Running a processor at that temp will shorten it's life, but then again how many of you will be using the same processor in January 2014?

tribble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Thanks

ya its a standered one ....geting a new fan 120mm intake tonight ...i would get a new heat sink (im quite taken by one of those cool looking jet blower) but im worried that i might break my cpu installing it :dunno:

95 degrees!

jesus .....so at 65 it might be dieing a early 2009 death and no overclockable but it wont damage it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Running it at 65 degree's 24/7 isint good , from what ive read the heat will take a much bigger toll on your CPU than Voltage. You could be prone to a sudden CPU failure or a noticable degrade in its performance and stability.

If it was a palli core or something it wouldnt be as bothering but the Xp2600+'s should be much cooler than that. If you invest in a good HSF then she should overclock to a decent speed.....

Ive ran a barton at 2.05v @ 49 degree's load (water cooled) 24/7 for ages without problems , i wouldnt run a chip with 60+ degree's (even with low voltage) unless its not worth getting a new fan for it or you plan on upgrading very soon...... you dont need the hassle.

PS Around 95 degree's .... hahaha see how long a CPU would last at that temp (god love AMD). Over 95 and its instant death, 95 it will prob take a few mins........ right the way down.

well i just ordered a new 120mm intake fan so that should help abit

and no i dont plan on upgradeng the cpu anytime soon ...so it seems i need a new heatsink at some point

i currently have the case side off to keep it cool enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,650 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by tribble
    The MAX operating temperature of an AMD Athlon XP is 90-95 Degrees Celcius.
    This is accoring to the AMD Athlon spec sheet from AMD themselves.

Yes folks, thats boiling - but not out of spec.
    Running a processor at that temp will shorten it's life, but then again how many of you will be using the same processor in January 2014?

tribble

Yes! You are spot on tribble. There is still a lot of misunderstanding about this. There is no issue with running the athlon 24/7 at 65 degrees Celsius unless you want many many years of life out of it - do you and if so, why?

The reason that systems shut down / reboot etc when cpu temp hits a certain level is because of BIOS enabled (or software utilities enabled) shut down levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

My 2500xp overclocked at 200fsb (3200xp) is 45-50c using a cheapo cooler I bought for €16. Thats at stock volts.

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Ive ran a barton at 2.05v @ 49 degree's load

Nice voltage ;)

• Advertisement

Nice voltage

Ohh i like my voltages alright :) , the newer bartons seem to enjoy it so who am i to deprive em!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

The 2600XP is about the hottest Athlon there is, except for the 1400 Athlon original, AFAIK.

My athlon 1900XP with stock heat-sink was hitting 67° with the retail cooler and no system fan (apart from the PSU), but there was a forest of a cables in the way. Either way, it was crashing the PC, so I got a high capacity system fan to put beside it, some cable ties to give it breathing room, and I've yet to cross 55°, even with oggenc101 going (which is what always used to skyrocket the temperature on it).

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    so who am i to deprive em!!

LOL

Out of ignorance I've been a bit shy so far and have stuck to the old adage that anything up to 1.75V is grand. I'll have to do some research. Any knowledge / experience / quick reference guide you want to share?

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    The 2600XP is about the hottest Athlon there is

I thought that dubious honour went to the XP2100 Palomino, but correct me if I'm wrong ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

my 3000xp currently running at 71oC and has been since sept and i use the computer 24/7 and haven't noticed any problems

Probably one of the best posts ive EVER read on this subject is this one ..... http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2168559 . Its taken from the overclockers forums and is written by a very very experienced guy.

It put my mind at ease when running at that voltage :) . Personally id rather have high voltage over high temps anyday. Theres alot of information enjoy !!

I thought that dubious honour went to the XP2100 Palomino, but correct me if I'm wrong

I think its very close between the palli Xp2100+ & the Tbred Xp2800+ ....... not a nice honor to hold !!

at 65 degrees Celsius unless you want many many years of life out of it - do you and if so, why?

No not with the 64fxs out now adays ill only want it to last 1,3 - 2 years MAX im not looking for 5-10 years out of it lol

anyway as i said i just ordered a new 120mm fan from elara so that will make.er..5 fans 2 120mm 2 on the geforce 5900 and 1 in the psu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

There are - I believe - 3 versions of the 2600+ two are T Bred at two FSB 266/333 and then later there was a Barton one, it sound as if we are talking about one of the T Bred. Running at 64C is fine enough especially if it's only at load (how often do you hit that?). By the way BIOS is not always 100% correct with respect to temps.

this is a gameing pc so it does it pritty much any time i play a new game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Anyone have any suggestions for a solid Heatsink and Fan combination for a AthlonXP Thoroughbred 2400 266Mhz (2Ghz)? Not too confident about the stock HSF in the retail box.
    Can't be two big as the chips will be going on a dual MP board and can't be too heavy as the box will be moved about a bit every now and then.
    3-pin molex naturally for the fan.
    Just want to keep everything in the system around the 30-35* under load if possible (I'll eventually have 3x 80mm intake fans, 2x80mm exhaust fans over the ATX I/O Panel, the 1 or 2 80mm in the PSU and a 92mm above the PSU [Chieftec Matrix Full tower]).

Might even do a side blower or two for over the RAID and gfx cards (ATi Radeon 7500) and over the cpus, northbridge and voltage regulators and MOSFETs.

It'll be 4 SATA with 2 IDE drives inside for cable dangling, which I'll route out of the way anyways.

It'll be a loud box (migh consider a swathe of 7V mods or a baybus or 2), but it'll be reliable :)

• Advertisement

What board are you using ?? MSI K7D ?? Asus A7M266-D??

30-35' Under load will be very hard to achieve, generally one processor will run hotter than the other depending on air flow. I suppose if your not overclocking then it might be possible, and you do have good air flow.

I have seen alot of people using the Zalman Flower with these boards and they get reasonably good temps while keeping it quiet. Probably the best HSF would be the SLK800 as it will fit (very tightly), but the problem is its heavy and expensive.
    What about the new Zalman 7000a ALCU ? The alcu is lighter and is still a very good performer. Im not 100% sure if these fit ......... these guys are very good with SMP info mabye give em a shout ..... http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=68

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Well if the temps i'm getting with me new Zalman 7000a Cu are anything to go by, i highly recommend it. I'm gettin 37C CPU (2500+ Barton) and 45C Case?, which is unusual considering the side of the case is off all the time.

Readings through MBM5 and BIOS. This right?

30-35 is a bit optimistic alright :)

Does anyone know if I'll be able to sqeeze 2 80mmx80mm HSFs on the board or would they clash?

Was looking at getting 2 of the Akasa AK824cu Copper Base CPU Cooler Blue LED (Socket A) (HS-004-AK) off Overclockers.co.uk while I'm getting the 2 cpus.
    Would onlt cost me 30 quid as I wouldn't need to get the retail cpus then and could make do with the OEM versions.
    Also, I'm getting a blue case and the Blue LEDs would be nice :)

Seemed to get a decent review here.

Oh, and the board will more than likely be an MSI K7D Master-L as it'savailable right now on Komplett and I'm having major trouble sourcing the Asus A7M266D.

The Zalman 7000A-AlCu seems to use a 92mm fan, which I seriously doubt would fit on either board?

Can't seem to find mechanical specs on the boards.

The MSI K7D Master is a great board and prob one of the best dual socket A board out there (followed closely by the ASUS, although theres a big vote for Tyan aswell).

It will take an SLK800U (SLK900 should be pretty much the same size [edit] but wont fit because of mounting) which i think will take a 92mm fan..... huge heatsink.

Heres a picture of A Dually with 2 x Zalman 6000 flowers (also massive).... Here (Scroll down a bit)

I would imagine the Asaka heatsink should fit with no problems at all at all.

These guys have a good range of dual boards, they do MSI & Tyan ..... http://www.computeruniverse.net/ (click the english flag in top right for english) .

Hope this helps a little....

This shows a Volcano7 (which at the bottom here says is 72x67mm base) *just*aboue fitting on the board.

I'm just afraid of buying 2 HSFs for €50 and finding I can't use them or build the box because I've nothing else.

Also, here and here seem to be 2 different products yet give the exact same specs (though the board dimensions are slight different and the PCB's a different colour :))
    Possible board revision, but which is the newest and which Rev is on Komplett? :confused:

Though the site has probably made a mistake (PPX instead of MPX being the first giveaway) and also used a pic of an Eng Sample board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Impurity

a little off the point, but replying to what was said earlier,

i have a XP3000+ and it runs between 35-50 pending on what im doing, but i have an ASUS tool monitoring the CPU temp constantly using the BIOS all the time, it actually logs it in a graph (its pretty cool) but this tool automatically shuts down my pc if the CPU reaches 72C. Thats the default cause they shouldn't have to run any higher than that, so if you are in the high 60's, better sort out some more cooling

AMD CPU's are way better than Intel ones generally, but they do require alot more cooling, in a recent test i read about, testing intel and AMD chips, where they removed the heat sinks and CPU fans, the AMD chips burned out sometimes before they even had the heat sink removed, just the fan.

Still though, AMD is the way forward!

Heres a pair of SLK800U's fitting with 92mm fans (need a small nip off one corner of the HS) .... Here ..... aparently the SLK800A fit better.

List of known fans that fit the KD7 (from overclockers SMP boards).

Will fit:

Coolermaster HCC-002
    Coolermaster Aero7+
    Millenium Glaciator I
    Millenium Glaciator II
    Thermalright SK6+
    Thermalright SK-7
    Thermalright AX-7 (slight modification)
    Thermalright SLK-800A
    Thermalright SLK-800U (slight modification)
    Thermaltake Silentboost
    Thermaltake Volcano 7+
    Thermaltake Volcano 9 (hard to remove)
    Swiftech MCX462+
    Swiftech MCW372
    Swiftech MCW5000
    Vantec Aeroflow (tight fit)
    Zalman CNPS-5100CU

Danger Den Maze3

Will not fit:

Alpha 8045
    Thermalright SLK-900U
    Thermaltake Volcano 11+

I was confused by the 2 different boards there aswell. Think its just an old stock number they left in ..... wouldnt be too bothered by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Impurity
    ...AMD CPU's are way better than Intel ones generally....

Nice and vague....:D

• Advertisement

Alphas tbh.
    No contest.

Advertisement