Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"SONY" To realease there First Handheld Games Console.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by SantaClaws
    and i have seen it at E3
    No you haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

SantaClaws prepare to be bullied here, probably like you are in real life, ha ha ha. im gonna get u banned, thats like runnin to yer ma or a teacher

IT ONLY MAKES IT WORSE
    LOL

nintendo could do better with gba? how exactly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To my knowledge the PSP was not shown at E3. The pictures are just concepts thought up by some derranged person in the design department in Sony. It will almost look completely different when it is released (and lets hope so, the buttons look like a nightmare to use). Still if it gets decent support and exclusives from developers it stands a great chance of going toe to toe with the GBA.

The N-gage is a bit of a joke. It has the processing power but the games are crap. The only decent ones are games that you already played 6 years ago and don't really want to play now.

The GBA is doing well because it's a great machine with the games to match. Its games are made to be played on the move and there are loads of top quality exclusive titles and some old classics as well. Not convinced? Why don't you have go of F-zero, advance wars or fire emblem. Have a friend ready with a blow torch to pry yourself away when you are done.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    To my knowledge the PSP was not shown at E3. The pictures are just concepts thought up by some derranged person in the design department in Sony. It will almost look completely different when it is released (and lets hope so, the buttons look like a nightmare to use). Still if it gets decent support and exclusives from developers it stands a great chance of going toe to toe with the GBA.

True, the PSP was not shown at E3 2003, although Sony plans to storm this year’s show in May. Also – apparently - it was reported that they have made more then one working prototype based on the above design.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by SantaClaws
    and the graphics on the Ngage, you have to admit are much better
    None of us could say that with any authority. Reason being that none of us have seen a PSP, hence we can't compare the graphics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

imo i think they need to change the d-pad but other than that it looks class
    Each UMD can hold a massive 1.8Gb of data - roughly three times the size of a PSone disc, and the chipset is apparently able to create graphics far in advance of PSone. Which means it would also trounce GBA SP and Nokia's forthcoming N-Gage, performance-wise. And PSP will further be able to playback a whopping two hours of FMV at DVD quality. Jeepers!

if each UMD?? can hold 1.8gb of data i'm sure it will be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 SantaClaws

yea i think it will be good.
    But ye were saying how good the GBA or GBA Sp is.
    well i mean they could of put more processing power and graphics into the SP.
    The sp is just an GBA with a lit up screen witch they should have done years ago.
    i had a Sega Game Gear and they had the Back Lit Screen when it came out, and that was like 8 years ago.

i know the games are not great on the N-Gage but all im saying is that the graphics are much better than the GBA, Nintendo had a Huge Opertunity to make a Decent HandHeld But they Ruined the whole thing, because they brought out the SP and i though the SP was ment to be great graphics and all the rest, but when it came out i was very dissapointed.
    all that they have added is the back lit Screen, " i mean Game Gear had that years ago".
    so yea i think it will be great. 1.8 Gigs of Data Sounds good to me.

Thanks Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by weemcd
    SantaClaws prepare to be bullied here, probably like you are in real life, ha ha ha. im gonna get u banned, thats like runnin to yer ma or a teacher

IT ONLY MAKES IT WORSE
    LOL

nintendo could do better with gba? how exactly

Enjoy your break from Games.

sorry am i getting baned or is youre man?

Thanks keith

Did I quote you? No. And my names not Keith. Back on topic.

• Advertisement

oh all right. yea my name is keith.
    Is it?

Ok. Here's a quick primer. The phrase "back on topic" means that you shut up and only post stuff relevant to this thread.

Now if you or anyone else posts anything in this thread that hasn't got something to do with handheld computers I will ban you. If you reply to this warning I will ban you. In fact you're going to have to try very hard for me not to ban you. Is that clear Keith?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Must say since I got a GBA sp for christmas I've couldn't have been happier with it. Loads of really good games around and plenty more in development to look forward to. The Nokia N-gage is a complete joke as far as I'm concerned but hopefully Nokia will learn from their mistakes and a newer model with be more successful. The PSP looks very impressive on spec and if you believe all the hype its going to be amazing but I'll be playing my GBA sp happily until a few months after its released and either its price has dropped or its a proven machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

So...

Whats Ngage like in its wire-less gaming???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

"well i mean they could of put more processing power and graphics into the SP.
    The sp is just an GBA with a lit up screen witch they should have done years ago.
    i had a Sega Game Gear and they had the Back Lit Screen when it came out, and that was like 8 years ago."

The SP has a back lit screen but in this case the SP will run in excess of 10 hrs backlit, 20 if you turn the light off:something the Game Gear never achieved, couldn't achieve 8 years ago due to the then level of technology. Bit of an improvment over the game gear in my mind.

Nintendo have achieved what they set out to do: design a decent handheld that is well laid out, easy to use, good battery life and has decent, clear graphics.

How have they ruined it? They have made a handheld that millions of people have bought and are very happy to own with some great games on it. Sure the games don't look as shiny as the N-gage's but who cares when you are having that much fun?

I would call this a success but thats just me i guess.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Lets look at it this way.

Nintendo's Game Boy's were never perfect. How long did it take them to add a backlight to it? They released the Game Boy, Game Boy Pockey, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and then finally released a backlit version. That was just stupid.

Now, the PSP thing i read today is suppose to have the same processing capabilities as a PS2. Dont hold me to that I read it today. Also Sony are apparently going to have wireless gameplay similar to that of the n-gage. The n-gage works on a bloothtooth connection i believe so you can play anyone within 100meters.

The screen on the sony will be a 4.1" (or 2.1" i cant quite remember which] or so LCD display so i'd say it will be very nice indeed to use. Lot bigger then then that of the n-gage or gameboy.

As long as they do what they say and dont overprice themselves, they will have a winner probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

haha, amp your so tough in this thread!
    on the subject of the psp, those pics have been around for months in various mags. nothing new. apparently it'll whoop the ass off all other handhelds coz its capabilities are more in line wit ps2 than ps1. however as someone said earlier, sony's pre release specs can't be relied on. they are like polititions trying to get votes before the election, and of course it's gonna work.
    i know i want one already, although the price will probably be ridiculous so i'll have to wait a while.

The Atari Lynx II was out years ago and was far supperior than the gameboy, also the Sega Nomad was a great handheld, It was able to play all megadrive games and you could even plug joypads into it and connect it to the tv so that you did not even need a megadrive. How come Nintendo has not used any of these old ideas in there newer handhelds. The gameboy advance should never have been released it should have been the sp.

When Sony launched the Playstation, they completely destroyed the competition because they did not hold back anything, but put the best they were able to into the machine, this is why both sega and nintendo are almost dead. When Sony launches there new PSP, nintendo will die unless they can come up with something that is a lot better. I don't think they will be able to though because Sony will be putting the best of everything into their machine so Nintendo will not be able to better it, but only equal it.

So all im trying to say is nintendo will be getting what they deserve for holding back on us all these years.

The reason Nintendo made a new gameboy every two years or so, was so that everyone would have to pay another 100 euros thus when nintendo sold over 1 million gameboys in the first month of the Advance's release they made themselves a nice hefty profit. I'm sure they had the SP in the wings, even when they launched the Advance.

Good on Sony for finally making game machines that are worth buying.

Thanks,

Keith. :ninja:

the main reasons for playstation success was marketing and ease.

The console had a easy to use developer kit

the console's marketing was the best.

It did not mean the PS1 had the best of everything in it.

in fact though it was graphically better then the saturn the saturn held more features:

-VCD card support
    -internal hard drive
    - and later on a internet connection in japan and US.

the PS1 never wasted its time on any of these xtras it stook to bringing mainstream games hence its success.

And if u look at GBA OMG!! its doing the same, no countless number of gizmos to sell it...just good games (though it does have a few wierd gizmos.)

p.s the GBA can be hooked up to your Gamecube and release new content for both formats similer to the sega nomad system u mentioned.

p.s if your unsure that advertising and marketing does the selling think about this:

The main problems developers noted with the Saturn were the following 3

1. Inferior graphic chip set to the psx
    2. Difficult to program software with its developers kit
    3. Poor advertising and 3rd party support

On the release of PS2

Lobotamy (the guys who did Exhumed for ps1 and sat i think) noted its difficulties:

1. Inferior graphic chip set to upcoming competition (XBOX, GAMECUBE)

2. Difficult to program software with the emotion engine

3. lack of internet support.

Now note the one thing the ps2 has that the saturn didnt on its release...Good advertising and 3rd party support. Says alot on how far a machine can take a company.

(cant believe i'm sticking up for nintendo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

What an annoying person whoever that muppet is. Anyway I heard theres going to be an mp3 or dvd attachment for the sp anyone else heard this?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Faust
    What an annoying person whoever that muppet is. Anyway I heard theres going to be an mp3 or dvd attachment for the sp anyone else heard this?

who me???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

Nah you're a shecks machine!I meant the guy who started the thread!

Bang Bang. Lets start this thread again before I get rapid ban syndrome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement