Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Cinema kits...from Dixons. review?

Options
  • 08-01-2004 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was in Dixons in Jervis the other day looking at cheap home cinema systems. Was just wondering if anyone here has the following systems and what they thought of them...

Philips LX3600 (EUR269)
    Samsung HTDB 120 (EUR249)

ps. Anyone recommend anything from powercity or DID for a similar price?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

don;t know about those 2 models but

Avoid Dixons!

Buy a feww home cinema magazines from Easons and look for reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Would definitely go for the Philips over the Samsung.

You should look around for a Sony DAVS500 - great sound & relability for a cheap model - it's being superseded now by a newer model, so you should be able to pick one up in the sales - I reckon you would get one for around EUR350 - try Arnotts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Got the Philips a few days ago. Fantastic sound. Multi region, plays whatever you can throw at it (or at least what I'll ever throw at it). Put on Resident Evil last night and couldnt believe the quality of both picture and sound. Well pleased with it here anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Is that the Philips LX3600 you are talking about? If so, that might make me buy it!

Where did you buy it and how much? (if ya don't mind me asking):D

I think it's the LX3600D.. might be wrong about the D though.. I'll check later cost me €299 from Murphys on Princes St, Cork. Thats the reduced price but I cant remember what it was reduced from. Something hideously high no doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

If you gonna spend some hard earned money, you'd better do some readings and surveys around.... There are a lot of good magazines on the street, check out Easons and Reads... These mags usually have reviews on what is good for how much you'll spend... Good luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Generally Dixons has general stuff, not good, not really bad, just indifferent.

If you wanna buy a home cimema system, first of all check out a few mags in easons, generally these mags have a few pages devoted to the best systems in differrent categories. Even if you dont want the best , just something good, they should have rating for plenty of cinema systems that are reasonably priced.
    Otherwise you could check the systems you find in dixons against these mags or the web(usually the mags dont have there best stuff on the web but you may find other sources on the web)

I'd suggest that you make sure you have the right size room also, remember you need to have everyting setup in a kinda rectangle with your sofa/chair in the sweetspot otherwise its not really worth getting a home cinema system, just hook up your hifi to your tv out instead and that might be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

I just bought a Pioneer DCS-313 from Amazon delivered to my door under 350euro. The sale price in Brown Thomas, the only place in Dublin stocking it AFAIK, is 449, reduced from 499. it took about a week for delivery. The only downside was that it was delivered by GLS, who provide a terrible service in my experience.

So far it has performed admirably, and has a wealth of features. it even takes the audio feed from the TV through the scart lead.

Ronan

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Ro-76

So far it has performed admirably, and has a wealth of features. it even takes the audio feed from the TV through the scart lead.

Ronan

Wow, that IS handy! I don't know of too many systems that take the sound via the Scart. Handy little feature with less wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by rymus
    Put on Resident Evil last night and couldnt believe the quality of both picture and sound.

Too bad the film itself is crap. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Originally posted by byte
    Wow, that IS handy! I don't know of too many systems that take the sound via the Scart. Handy little feature with less wires.

I only realised my Sony DAVSC5 did that last night :p
    I was watching a film on Sky Box office and the sound went on one side of the room so I started to fool around with the speaker connections and the audio connections from the Sky didgibox but could not fix it. I then disconnected the audio cables completely from the digibox to the amp and to my surprise there was still sound which stumped me ! I checked the scart socket from the amp to the T.V. which had come loose and that fixed the problem.

Originally posted by byte
    Yeah my Philips does that too. Thought I'd have to get an extra audio cable to connect the digibox to the dvd but all I gotta do is press the "tv" button on my dvd remote :)

Advertisement