Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netscafe:Friday night gaming. The server a Quake players dream.

Options
  • 22-02-2000 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

We at netscafe are now proud to say that we are holding a gaming night this and every Friday night starting this week. How our gaming night is going to be better than others in our local area is because we have a 650 mhz server on a 256 k leased line that is over twice the speed of nethouses server in Rathmines no more Friday night ping on a game of Quake. We are also the largest internet cafe in Dublin with over 25 celeron 500 pcs and with a large collectsion of games. So We look forward to seeing you on Friday. U can chill with the big boys in the fast lane.
    Gaming night. We will be there all night will you.
    £10
    Server is a Dell poweredge 1300
    Netscafe gaming night organiser thanks.

[This message has been edited by Netscafe (edited 22-02-2000).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

and the netscafe is where?
    and you will be open from when?
    and you will be open til when?
    and is beer allowed on premises?

You Can Now Control Horney
    But Use Him Wisely.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Netscafe

Ok netscafe is just up past nethouse heading into town. It is across the road from spar on the Rathmines road with a big white sign over the shop. It will be open till about 6 in the morning if not later. So tell all your mates to come I will have to show how good I am in quake so its a death match then see you dare if you dare. Open now. Gaming night starts at 8 see you there man.
    Yes.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

What kind of graphics cards are in the machines?

Isn't 64MB a bit on the light side these days?

Do you have full copies of all the games or do we have to bring our own?

Do you have Counter-Strike installed? smile.gif

Teeth.

We have the full games yes we have counter strike also coops and the new tiberian sun and a ****s loads more of patches.
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

Come on do one better than the nethouse make it more interesting smile.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    Ps 0wns U

[This message has been edited by Chaos (edited 22-02-2000).]

• Advertisement

128 bits cards. Maybe a free cup of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

Cards are cards, dont like coffee. Looking bad atm tongue.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    Ps 0wns U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Eeeek, just read the netscafe website. The machines are Dell Dimension L celeron machines which means they all come with Intel 810 chipset with integrated 3D graphics technology haha wink.gif Guess that answers your question Teeth.

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 23-02-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Em I dont think quake3 will run very well
    on your machines. So much for dissing nethouse. They have P3 450's with voodoo 3's.

ah Gerry I have study it for 5 years wrote the scource for our server we are on Celron 500s with dvd on a server twice the speed
    a dell 1300 Duel with 500 s celeron they where made for quake Wake the **** up man.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

o w n e d?

See you there guys 2 the speed of Nethouse we are Netscafe. No more Friday night ping with us. See you there thanks. Did I say the night is from 8pm to 6am and olny £8 for the night.
    Thats our server is bigger and faster than nethouses and cheaper and you get more time with us also we are Irish owned.
    So I know what you will pick a real gaming night we know what you like yes.
    Thanks.

what has being irish owned got anythink to do with it...?

Notting really it was a person on the boards started saying that nethouse was not Irish and was full of Packys We have not got a problem with any body just thought we would say we are Irish yes.
    Thanks.

ok yes.

well, from the sounds of things ppl seem to think that the gfx cards in the computers suck?

i think you need better for quake3...?

gg, played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Cheekymonkeys

IRON COMMANDER 7 3D!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ooooook! Oook!

[This message has been edited by Cheekymonkeys (edited 23-02-2000).]

Here Netscafe guy, you better hope either:

a) You've already upgraded the machines with decent graphics cards (TNT-2s, Voodoo3s or GeForces are acceptable smile.gif).

or

b) The machines you bought have empty AGP slots to install any of the above cards into if you haven't already done so.

Built-in graphics cards just can't handle games like Quake3, regardless of how l33t your server is. smile.gif

Teeth.

to upgrade to these kind of cards tho is pricey for many machines. only worth it if you wanted to take the gameing side more serious with your netcafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Notting really it was a person on the boards started saying that nethouse was not Irish and was full of Packys

umm, hello? is this guy for real? so netscafe has some sort of racial policy does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I do recall seeing that rather, ahh, distasteful statement made about Nethouse on the boards somewhere.

Mr Netscafe:

1) If you want to promote something like this, at least take the trouble to type properly. It doesn't do much for promoting your business when I can't read your posts, now does it?

2) Answer people's questions. You've been asked a number of times what graphics cards are in the machines; this is very important to people who play games. TNT2s, Voodoo3s and GeForces are about the only things which play a really good game of Quake3 or UT. Telling us repeatedly about your l33t server rather than telling us about the graphics setups (which is what we want to know) just makes it look like either you don't know the answer yourself, which is very bad form, or you don't want to tell us, which is even worse.

3) Tell us what's good about your place, not what's bad about Nethouse. Most people are very happy with the setup at Nethouse; I haven't been in a while myself, because I don't want to play Quake3 mainly, but the fact is that their machines and network in there play a good game of Q3, UT or whatever takes your fancy. We don't want to hear you criticising them, we want to hear reasons why we will like Netscafe better.

4) Don't try and bullsh*t people. The fact that you have studied, err, something for 5 years, makes no odds to the performance of your cafe network, or how good the gaming night there will be. Nor does the fact that you "wrote the source for your server", whatever the hell that is supposed to mean. Having a DVD drive in your Poweredge 1300 is immaterial; I also doubt immensely that this is a 1300Mhz machine, since 1300 is simply the designation of the server. Does the Poweredge 4300 in the server room in this office run at 4300Mhz? Er, I think not.

I'm trying to be constructive here. I think that having places open to go in and play some games is cool; although it might be an idea to advertise more in places other than the Boards here, which are made up of very hardcore gamers. I do hope you take on board what people are saying, and make a go of the Netscafe gaming nights. There's plenty of room in Dublin for two games cafes, and more.

Ja,
    Rob aka Shinji

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Netscafe I dont think you have the slightest clue what you are talking about.
    People are talking about the pathetic i810
    graphics in your client machines and all you can do is tell us that the server is great. Well that wont help the fps on the clients machines. Maybe you think the dvd will?

What did you study? English?.
    [This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 23-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 23-02-2000).]

gg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

I didn't grow up with Pokemon and so I do not understand it's language like the youngsters of today... so please Mr.Netscafe... stop speaking it (or start translating it).

[sorry, must of slipped past our editors - sic?]

[This message has been edited by Vorosha (edited 23-02-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Do you understand how business works? These guys have to make money, not loose it buying GLXSRI 50000 graphics cards so they get your measly 8 ****ing quid and you get your extra 10 fps. Me?? I wouldnt be seen dead in a place with 8bitkSI800 motherboards, AS IF!

They're trying to compete with Nethouse's games nights. Nethouse have voodoo3s. If these guys don't have equivalent graphics cards (I don't mean mad expensive ones - 60 quid 3dfx velocity 100s would do) then they won't be able to tempt people away.

I certainly wouldn't want to play Quake3/UT on a built-in 4MB intel-brand graphics chip..

But either way, it's great to see more places offering games nights, who knows this little past-time of ours may go main-stream after all.

I can't wait for the day Sky Sports reports on Quake competitions with decent production and commentary.. smile.gif

Teeth.

[This message has been edited by Dr_Teeth (edited 23-02-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah...digital generation..

and at the moment the eye view is from dr teeth
    yeah right daire...muppet head smile.gif

One of Your Imps Does A Great Impression Of You
    He Can Even Do The Ears....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

8bitkSI800 motherboards????? HAH!!! PAINT ME GREEN, CALL ME AN ORC, AND WATCH ME BATTLE A GONGAZAROTH IN DARWINS DUNGEON!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

oh LOL
    once a darkelf dwarven warrior, always a darkelf dwarven warrior *shakes his head*

Well Eamo if they can show drag racing, monster truck racing, snowboarding, skating, bowls (sp?), all that other ****** I'm pretty sure they'll get around to multiplayer games eventually.

Watching the IE lads beat England in the 5 nations LIVE, along with shoutcast commentary and an irc channel to talk on was crude, but brilliant fun. I can imagine it would be a million times better if they used the technoolgy behind Sky Digital for something other than bloody football. smile.gif

Teeth.

[This message has been edited by Dr_Teeth (edited 23-02-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

You're not the only person who thinks that, Daire.

Gameplay/Wireplay think that too... And they've been in talks with Sky. Sky think that way, too.

Gaming makes for a pretty good spectator sport; although one can see the violence being an issue, I'll admit. Be nice to see games league finals on the TV tho... Recognition for gaming as a sport, and whatnot. The fact that some clans are already getting sponsored, and others are preparing business plans for sponsorship, points us in this direction already...

Ja,
    Rob

Advertisement