Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT -- "Side-slip (wheel alignment)"

Options
  • 08-01-2004 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hello there.

Our car (1997) is due its second NCT this month. Last time, "side-slip (wheel alignment)" came up as FAIL/ADVISORY ("front axle: -20m/km"; rear seems to have been fine). I believe that this issue now results in the dreaded FAIL/REFUSAL, so we want to get it sorted ASAP.

We have had work done on the car by our usual mechanic in the last couple of days, but he says this is something that he cannot address - that it is a job for tyre people. Can anyone confirm this? Is there much to it? For that matter, if you will forgive my ignorance, can anyone tell me what on earth "side-slip (wheel alignment)" is?? :confused:

Did a board seach on this but could find nothing specific. Any insight would be much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

well sounds like standard job and wheel alignment needs to be checked. Usually this could be adjusted unless there is to much wear on track rod ends or steering rack(play is too big).
    Incorect aligment is major cause of tire wear and scuffing off on tires during cornering

Try Kwikfit or Advance pitstop. They will be able to set aligment or determin if steering components have to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

As Gmodified says, you need to get your wheel setup checked.

For best results go to a place with a laser based rig

An T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Tom B. Stones

Many thanks for the help, fellas.

We have found a guy who does it by hand (by feel?), and people seem to swear by him. We are out in the wilds, and there is no equipment to be found anywhere remotely nearby. We're going to trust in this guy.

Will let you know how the car gets on...

Thanks again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

does it by hand (by feel?),

I like it, He is probably Xman from Kerry shooting laser beams from his eyes:D

it's possible. I did alignment on few cars using the method similar to this one

http://howto.henryvo.com/diyalignment.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Tom B. Stones

Originally posted by Gmodified
    I like it, He is probably Xman from Kerry shooting laser beams from his eyes:D

it's possible. I did alignment on few cars using the method similar to this one

http://howto.henryvo.com/diyalignment.html

Phew! Glad I did not get to check back here and read this until after the test!

Passed. :)

Whatever he did, it worked:

Front axel: -4m/km
    Rear axel: -6m/km

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement