Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posts per day Top 10

Options
  • 08-01-2004 12:19pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There already exists a Top 10 for number of posts but how about a Top 10 based on a user's posts per day? It'll show those who are dedicated to the Boards cause rather than just showing who happens to be on top based burely on having been posting for years. It'll give new folk a chance to shine in ultra-nerdy glory too....
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And let those who join and post twenty posts in a day for weeks shine in all their ultra muppetty glory too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well then let only those who've been joined for say more than four months qualify. That way we should eliminate most spammers and make it difficult for those who joined to affect their average without going to ridiculous lengths...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Why? Won't someone tell me why? :p

'Coz looking around, I reckon I should be in the Top 5 and I wanna in the Top 5 at something. What? Don't look at me like that. Almost to 1000...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

It'll only cause muppets to be posting all types of **** just to make the top 10 that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by ixoy
    'Coz looking around, I reckon I should be in the Top 5 and I wanna in the Top 5 at something. What? Don't look at me like that. Almost to 1000...

You are not your postcount

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish

You are not your postcount

That just about sums it up :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

indeed
    what would be the point anyways? Victor will always be at number one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It could be done with a weighting system whereby the longer you are a member the better you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I recall an old board I once frequented that allowed users to rank other members, thus giving them some measure of respect according to what everyone else thought.

That could either work well or be horribly, horribly abused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

that is the karma rating you are talkinga about. i think it might have been on this boards before, i don't know. it was mentioned a few times lately. it could be abused, people could give crap ratings here and there and that would lower a posters karma level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Originally posted by daveirl
    I wish they'd get rid of the post count again

Seconded! When did this happen on boards by the way, and for how long, and why was it brought back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I wish they'd get rid of the post count again

It's interesting to see how much you've posted and to know if another user is a newbie or not.

Only a small percentage of users lets it go to their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

this would only give spammers another reason to spam

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Rabies
    that is the karma rating you are talkinga about. i think it might have been on this boards before, i don't know. it was mentioned a few times lately. it could be abused, people could give crap ratings here and there and that would lower a posters karma level.

The Boards.ie implementation only allowed mods to give karma points.

I got one unexpectedly off amp after I stated I was buying 3 games that year for their sheer brilliance.
    Giants:Citizen Kabuto, Hostile Waters and Startopia.

As for the top 10 posts per day, Cloud/Regi/Devore/ecksor, would ye mind running the applicable query and posting the results to quell ioxy's curiosity.

Don't think there's any need for another stat thing, though a page of daily/weekly updated stats might be a nice feature
    Server, DB, board, bandwidth, users etc., maybe user-customisable.
    History for last 7 days/last week's results aswell?
    vB3 feature? ;)

Well a weighted system would stop spammers. And yes - it's completely pointless but then so are many things. Ho hum. I'm a curious bugger... be interesting to see.
    And I am my postcount and my khakis and my latté :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Another board I post to has "top poster in last 30 days". That seems to give a pretty accurate view of who's most active currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Originally posted by ixoy
    Well a weighted system would stop spammers.

I don't think so. It would just shift the balance of power to fat spammers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

perhaps now would be a good time for me to do my "i'm in the top 50 posters" dance

and so i shall.

\o/
    o/
    \o
    \o/

there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,405 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Silent Death
    I don't think so. It would just shift the balance of power to fat spammers.
    I'm not fat, I'm cuddly. :)

Originally posted by daveirl
    I remember there being no PC at times back in 2001 or so. I couldn't care how many I have, and if I did, I could just do a search for all my posts and 20*(number of pages) gives the number of posts to within 20

[pedant]Would it not be to within 19?[/pedant]

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,405 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by SyxPak
    [pedant]Would it not be to within 19?[/pedant]
    :)

[pedant+1]19 is within 20, and 20 posts/page should get it to within 10, or is it 9?[/pedant]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by tman
    perhaps now would be a good time for me to do my "i'm in the top 50 posters" dance

and so i shall.

\o/
    o/
    \o
    \o/

there you go.
    :D

==================================
    But how would you filter out the "semi-automated replies" that are filling up the humour forum ?
    It's got to the stage where I reckon some have macros to do thier replies ..

How about a separate count for that forum with an avarage post size statistic.. (would last about 20 minutes until they figured out what quote does...) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

this would just encourage ppl to reply to every post on teh humour board with "lol good 1"

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

kharnrofl.jpg

Had to be played in the big man's absence :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement