Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NT4 server issue: MDAC upgrade failing

Options
  • 08-01-2004 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Hi folks!

I have an utterly bizzarre technical problem with one of our NT4 servers.

We have an application developed that depends on a more decent MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) version being installed on the server. The application in question has been developed and tested on another server (same hardware spec), which is NT4 with the latest version of MDAC.

While deploying this app to production, we found out it suddely doesn't work, and then noticed that the Access database drivers are dated 1997. (odbcjt32.dll) That meant that MDAC has never been updated since NT4 was installed, so to fix that issue we decided to upgrade to the latest version. All pretty much straight forward up until now.

Yesterday, we got MDAC 2.8 and ran the install in production. All went perfectly fine, setup completed with no errors. But the app still doesn't work! Then we checked the versions of the drivers, and they're still 1997!

Even though setup hasn't complained, the MDAC upgrade did absolutely nothing!

I've also checked the registry and found out there's no mention of Microsoft Jet OLE DB 4.00 either! (I was thinking of re-coding the application to use OLE instead of ODBC) All of this is working perfectly fine on any other server.

Have any of you ever seen anything like this? Software package installing successfully, and then not a trace of it to be found - everything looking exactly the same as before?

Just to clarify, the app has been tested on other servers and works fine - it's not a coding problem. We were running the MDAC install as Administrator, and IIS was shut down (just in case) to ensure it's not hogging any of the dll's.

Help!

Desparately,
    Dan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Forgot to mention, I had a funny feeling about the registry and I went to check can you add/modify items in the registry.

Tried adding a meaningless value to the registry and got logged off !

Never saw this happening, but it looks like the registry is corrupt, or has been turned read-only in some way.

I checked the system settings and the registry size limit is way beyond what's currently used, so it's not that.

Anyone got ideas?

Advertisement