Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

REPORT: Miller to Utd ???

• 08-01-2004 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

Just read on skysports.com that Liam Miller is set to sign a pre-contract agreement with Utd and to sign for them in the summer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

bad news for celtic, good news for miller and Utd fans. However, from an Irish point of view will he get his game??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just saw it mentioned on RTE aertel, big loss for Celtic if it happens and if O'Neill does'nt put up a fight to keep him....that suggests to me he's on his way out with him
    but not to Old Trafford.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No surprise really as Miller is a lifelong Utd Fan and was recommended to Fergie by Keano.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭SuperStudent

RIGHT HOLD EVERYTHING!

Now before we get into this 'big loss for Celtic, great for Manchester United' lark,
    pretend Miller is Scottish. Now how highly do you rate him? I've seen him play the odd match and while he looks good, he doesn't look great. United have a Midfield of-
    Keane, DjembaX2, Butt, Kleberson, Scholes, Fletcher, Giggs, Ronaldo & Phil Neville.
    Should they add Fangzhuo & Miller, that's 12 players going for 4/5 positions.
    I think Miller is the Irish Fletcher. You tune into Sky or whatever and you hear someone talk about Fletcher as the new superkid and he's bound to have a Scottish accent. Fergie loves him, but I can't help but believe it's cause of Scotland's despiration to have a world class player. Imho Fletcher is ****. My heart sinks when he's named in the first 11. I can't help but think Miller is the Irish version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by SuperStudent
    RIGHT HOLD EVERYTHING!

Now before we get into this 'big loss for Celtic, great for Manchester United' lark,
    pretend Miller is Scottish. Now how highly do you rate him? I've seen him play the odd match and while he looks good, he doesn't look great. United have a Midfield of-
    Keane, DjembaX2, Butt, Kleberson, Scholes, Fletcher, Giggs, Ronaldo & Phil Neville.
    Should they add Fangzhuo & Miller, that's 12 players going for 4/5 positions.
    I think Miller is the Irish Fletcher. You tune into Sky or whatever and you hear someone talk about Fletcher as the new superkid and he's bound to have a Scottish accent. Fergie loves him, but I can't help but believe it's cause of Scotland's despiration to have a world class player. Imho Fletcher is ****. My heart sinks when he's named in the first 11. I can't help but think Miller is the Irish version.
    The moment Fergie saw Keane play he new he was going to be big. Fergie has said that Miller could replace Keane, what more can I say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I think he would be a great addition at Utd but will he get his game????

He is amazing on his day but I've seen days when he has been anonymous(sp)

Fergie also saw Forlan and Fletcher, DjembaX2 & Poborsky, Cruyff & Prunier, not to mention Taibi & Veron.

Originally posted by jonno

agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

the jury will be out on him from the start but so far he has looked an extremely promising player! as far as i'm concerned, the more irish at united the better... United have always had a strong Irish connection and with Keane on the way out in the next few years, it will be nice to still have O'Shea, along with Miller and possibly Tierney, flying the flag for the Irish! Come on United!!! Up the Irish!!!

• Advertisement

Paddy,
    Would you support United if they had no Irish players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Ah F*ck it!
    That's ruined my day!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

If this turns out to be true Ill be gutted!
    We just signed Pearson from Motherwell for 350,000 which pretty much sums it up for me as Andy Reid is just sitting there waiting at Forest for someone to come and get him and will probably end up at a club like Totenham with no chance of European football in the near future
    IF Hullier goes this summer then O Neill will be gone from Celtic with Larsson to follow.......

You would think after the crushing of Rangers this last weekend Id be on a high but not so as I think I can see Celtics future shape and its not good people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Bad move for Miller should have gone to a premiership team where he would get a game, very bad move for his Irish career,SPL might not be the best league in the world but its a lot better then playing Reserve football.

The move has come 2 or 3 years too soon.

I think Nicky Butt can wave bye bye to Old Trafford now

Originally posted by jonno

Is i said in another thread i have seen loads of matches were Frank Lampard is anonymous but he is still regarded as world class.
    Fergie also saw Forlan and Fletcher, DjembaX2 & Poborsky, Cruyff & Prunier, not to mention Taibi & Veron.
    Yes, but he never said that any of these players (with the possible exception of Fletcher(?)) could replace Keane which was my point.

Originally posted by irish1
    It has come 10 years too soon IMO but from a United point of view they are better off signing him while Keane is still around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Ah F*ck it!
    That's ruined my day!
    me too :(

Bad move for him, celtic and ireland :(

for him and ireland - if nicky butt cant get into the man u midfield miller has no chance for at least as season or two..

For celtic, we should be building on the squad not getting rid of players. We should be gathering the best players we can so we can make a realistic assult on europe in the future, not get knocked out at the first hurdle all the time. We should not be a selling club. Esp. with ghod going next year, we need all the good players we can get..

Bad move for Miller should have gone to a premiership team where he would get a game, very bad move for his Irish career,SPL might not be the best league in the world but its a lot better then playing Reserve football.

Uniteds record of bringing young players through into the first team is seconde to none in the premiership. Miller has a lot of potential and I,m sure Fergie will get the most out of him which can only be good for the player , United and Ireland. Great move for the lad but i understand Celtic supporters disappointment at losing such a promising player. How did they let his contract expire and as miller said his future at Celtic depended on Martin O Neill staying I wonder is there even worse news ahead for them?.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Is i said in another thread i have seen loads of matches were Frank Lampard is anonymous but he is still regarded as world class.

Yes, but he never said that any of these players (with the possible exception of Fletcher(?)) could replace Keane which was my point.

Ferguson has said that Butt, then DjembaX2 would be Keanes replacement, Now it's Miller, next season it'll be someone else. Keane at Millers age was a far greater talent. He also joined United at 22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

man united have 120 odd playing staff..

lets say, for the sake of debate, 100 of them are 'young players'

all of those young players will be damn good, but about 2 or 3 will ever see the light of day in the first team..

so for every john o shea there are a bunch of players no one has ever heard of..

Im not a man u follower but look at Fletcher, he is a regular scotish international - but only gets the odd sub game here or there for man u as far as I know..

I know my scotish mates would rather he was at a big scotish club or at a mid level english team where he was playing every week..

Miller and Fletcher would be playing for the same kinda spot in midfield, as Im sure millers future is in midfield not up front (like scholes who was a striker as a nipper too..)

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    For celtic, we should be building on the squad not getting rid of players. We should be gathering the best players we can so we can make a realistic assult on europe in the future, not get knocked out at the first hurdle all the time. We should not be a selling club. Esp. with ghod going next year, we need all the good players we can get..
    Celtic have no choice to let him go as he is out of contract in 6 months. If Miller goes Celtic are going downhill and I can't see them doing well next season. O'Neill WILL leave in the summer, Larsson is going too, Lambert has very little left in him, we are a good few million in debt, and there is absolutely no backup in the squad. Don't do this Liam!!! :(:(:(

I read somewhere that Celtic won't get compensation for miller even though he is only 22, why is this???

I also remember that Ferguson reckoned Djemba Djemba could replace Keane and he also said taht Fletcher was the new Beckham :) There's two players taht so far havn't lived up to expectation.

I'm not disputing that Miller is a great player, it's just he isn't as consistant as Keane. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong and become a star. God knows the Irish team could do with another midfield star.

Every team has younsters that dont make it. Miller has proven that he has the raw talent (which explains celtic supporters annoyance) at losing him. Over half of the regular first 11 at united have come throught as youths, what other premiership team can claim that? If he,s good enought at United he will get his place. Fletcher is only 19 and fergie will play him and rest him as he sees fit. I don think anyone can doubt his ability at nurturing young talent correctly.

I read somewhere that Celtic won't get compensation for miller even though he is only 22, why is this???

He is only reported to be signing as a pre contract agreement not an actual contract. If I'm not mistaken he will be 23 in Febuary so when they sign him in the summer he will be 23 and will be eligible(sp) for the Bosman free without compensation to Celtic.
    The rule only applies to players aged 22 or under.

Originally posted by SuperStudent
    Paddy,
    Would you support United if they had no Irish players?

Absolutely! I've supported United since I was a nipper. Nationalistic pride wasn't a factor on United being my team and it never will. I was (and still am) disgusted with Keanes tantrum at the World Cup and that says it all really. I just love the club and couldn't care less if they have 11 Dong Fangzhuo's playing week in week out. As long as they're doing the business I'm happy! It's just nice to have Irish representation in a team you follow, if you're an Irish man. People might beg to differ, but that's just how I feel.

I sympathise with Celtic re Miller situation but that's just the way football is these days. Roy Keane was a fantastic player when he signed for United in '93 but I don't think anyone can deny he improved and became a more complete player as he progressed with United. This move will give Miller the chance to do the same in my opinion, and if that happens it's great news for Ireland of course!

Follow! Follow! Follow! 'Cos United are goin to Porto!! :D

Its an absolute certaintly that miller will sign for United.:(
    Whenever you hear this on Sky Sports News "Sky Sports News understands" rather than "a report in ABC suggests..." it means its a definite. :mad:

Yep. It certainly is looking likely. Sky Sports News have just said 'Celtic have released a statement saying that they have received no confirmation of any contact from Manchester United.' I'm not sure if that has any relevance since the club may not have anything to do with a Miller - United agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

was only a matter of time really, sure wasnt it only a couple of months ago we thought he was going to utd? no real surprise, fergie doesnt go to celtic park to often and once miller was subbed, surprise surprise fergie left. (talking about anderlecht game).

great move for fergie and utd, he's similar to frank lampard for me, not so much keane. has all round ability, energy and determination. he wont get a regular game but few do in utd's midfield. being able to play centre and right should help him out.

nice to see the irishness being kept alive in utd. o'shea, keane and probably miller.

• Advertisement

you reckon he's like lampard? i can see where you're coming from i suppose.. lampard is more crafty in his style i think. I've previously looked at him as similar in style to ljungberg the way he joins up the attack... a poor mans scholesy! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah i think himself and lampard are similar. ljunberg is a bit to attacking and doesnt have the tracking back and defensive skills of miller.

miller is a true midfielder in every sense of the word, can defend, can attack, has pace but like scholesy and van nistelrooy, he's clever which sets him apart from the rest. he doesnt over-elaborate on the ball and uses it wisely and simply. getting him for free would be a massive steal from under celtics noses.

the man has sense too, he's not afriad of moving to utd were he mightnt get a regular game and he knows he will only improve playing at the highest level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Originally posted by smemon
    the man has sense too, he's not afriad of moving to utd were he mightnt get a regular game and he knows he will only improve playing at the highest level.

Well said.
    Nothing more to add but that sums up my thoughts anyway.Not overly impressed by Miller so far but for free who cares.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    If he,s good enought at United he will get his place. I don think anyone can doubt his ability at nurturing young talent correctly.

Yes but at 22 he needs games not mentoring, he has talent but talent won't improve as much in the reserves at UTD as it would if he was playing for a mid table side in the premiership.

I appreciate Alex has brought through a lot of young players, but theres a hell of a lot of proven midfielders at UTD already, as I said just a season or 2 too soon.

Plus I think he's going to be under a lot of pressure to fill Keanes boots, being a midfielder from Cork and playing at UTD is going have everyone comparing him, that can't be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

oh great another promising irish international who's going to stop playing for us in four years "for the good of the club"

and by "us" i mean ireland

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

on the face of it, there would seem to be an overload of midfield players should miller join. but i believe if miller signed, he could play in 3 positions. central midfield, right side of midfield and also... wait for it... as an attack minded full back. ferguson has utilised quinton fortune like this to good effect. so basically what i'm saying is, he would give good options to the manager! djemba djemba can play right back as well i'm told, so that might disprove my theory a bit. but miller certainly looks versatile so i think he could hold his own amongst the united squad and get his fair quota of games! remember, united are generally involved in up to 60 or so games a season now so if you he play in half of them it's no disgrace.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

he's a good player.... he deserves to play for the best and man utd are the best........

he deserves to get his game for both utd and éire.

Originally posted by agent smith
    he's a good player.... he deserves to play for the best and man utd are the best........

he deserves to get his game for both utd and éire.

He's a 22 year old that has shown potential to be a great player, but you can't honestly expect him to be picked ahead of Keane, Kleberson, Djemba x2 or even Phil Neville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

The difference with all of these (the exception being Fletcher) is that they are foreign and never got time to settle.

Of the players still at Utd:

Forlan is finally coming good (maybe not World Class but he is scoring).

Djemba Djemba could yet fulfil his potential. People forget hes still only 22 and hasn't had a great start to his Utd career with his mum being so ill and all.

And I don't like the way people give Fletcher such stick. hes only 19 and playing out of position. Give him a couple of seasons? Heck it took Phil Neville about 10 to get good :)

People seem to underestimate Millers current (not potential) abilty. We only get to see Miller on the pitch and we can judge him as we like but I have never heard a player getting so much praise by the manager, ex-players and other people who actually know Miller. We always get to hear pundits giving their opinions but to be described by someone at the club as "the best Celtic player at his age since Jimmy Johnstone" is a lot different.

I'm wondering (if he does sign) what reception Miller will get everytime he plays and what do the players think because the fans on other forums aren't happy bunny's.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by paddyduff
    on the face of it, there would seem to be an overload of midfield players should miller join. but i believe if miller signed, he could play in 3 positions. central midfield, right side of midfield and also... wait for it... as an attack minded full back.

Post like this show just how little people actually know about Miller!

Hes been tried on the right side of midfield for Celtic recently because with all three main strikers fit (Larsson Sutton and Hartson) Sutton has been playing behind the front two with Petrov and Lennon in the middle meaning Millers been put on the right wing............
    Hes been terrible for Celtic in that role even in the SPL!!!!!!!!!
    Hence the reason hes now spending alot of time on the bench!

The guy has one postion and thats at the heart of things in the center of midfield!
    And thats wheres hes gone have to fight for his place with Man U
    Can anyone see him breaking into that position at Man U any time soon?
    Certainly doubt if he will have by the time the world cup qualifiers come round in September

Bad move for Miller and a bad day for Celtic fc and Ireland IMHO

People seem to underestimate Millers current (not potential) abilty. We only get to see Miller on the pitch and we can judge him as we like but I have never heard a player getting so much praise by the manager, ex-players and other people who actually know Miller. We always get to hear pundits giving their opinions but to be described by someone at the club as "the best Celtic player at his age since Jimmy Johnstone" is a lot different.

I'm wondering (if he does sign) what reception Miller will get everytime he plays and what do the players think because the fans on other forums aren't happy bunny's.

Actually the biggest prospect at the club is a 17 year old called Aiden McGeady, whos now getting a game with the under 21s which in Scotland means anyone who isnt playing for the first eleven
    Scottish born of Irish parents and already been capped at underage level for Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

miller will be a great player and be a great asset to united but does anyone else think that his decision to join has anything to do with his lifelong love for the club (he grew up supporting united)

Originally posted by AmenToThat
    Post like this show just how little people actually know about Miller!

Hes been tried on the right side of midfield for Celtic recently because with all three main strikers fit (Larsson Sutton and Hartson) Sutton has been playing behind the front two with Petrov and Lennon in the middle meaning Millers been put on the right wing............

The guy has one postion and thats at the heart of things in the center of midfield!
    Certainly doubt if he will have by the time the world cup qualifiers come round in September

posts like this show just how little people actually know about football!

Ask the common Celtic fan... Miller out of side due to bad form or contractual dispute?... therein lies the answer!

Right wing, i.e. playing as an out and out winger, is not the same as playing on the right side of midfield in a different system to what Celtic play. Do you expect Liam Miller to do what Didier Agathe does?? :rolleyes:

Celtic and United, I think you'll find, have different football philosophies.

Also I never for once disputed where the lads best position on the pitch is! I merely pointed out the fact that it is very possible ferguson would be able to use him similarly to quinton fortune!

Originally posted by paddyduff
    I merely pointed out the fact that it is very possible ferguson would be able to use him similarly to quinton fortune!

Lets hope he's a bit better than Quinton Fortune so . . . . . for Irelands sake;)

Manchester United have finalised a pre-contract agreement for Celtic midfielder Liam Miller.

Cork-born Miller, who will join United on July 1 on a long-term contract, is thrilled at the prospect.

Miller, 22, said: "As a young boy I only ever supported two clubs, Glasgow Celtic and Manchester United. I am honoured to have played for Celtic for six years and now I look forward to joining Manchester United."

He added: "It's very exciting and is going to be a challenge to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world."

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said: "We recognised the potential of Liam, he has had a great season at Celtic. He is very much part of our progressive thinking of developing a young team over the next few years."

United chief executive David Gill said: "I am pleased to have Liam joining us, it focuses our continued commitment to bring in young players for the future."

Miller joined Celtic in June 1998 aged 16 and this season has played in all but one of Celtic's 19 SPL games scoring three goals.

He also played in all the club's Champion League matches, scoring three times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You said first...
    Originally posted by AmenToThat

and then....

Surely you're contradicting yourself there?
    If according to you he's on the bench for Celtic so much what's the problem with him fighting for a position in a much better club?

]Originally posted by Woosaysdan
    but does anyone else think that his decision to join has anything to do with his lifelong love for the club (he grew up supporting united)

If you were a lifelong supporter of one of the biggest clubs in the world and at 22 they asked you to sign with them would you not sign?

Just on a side note, according to a reporter on the radio today apparently it was Keane that suggested that Fergie should have a look at Miller with the possibility of signing him.
    An indication of Keane’s future management of ManU?? We’ll see I suppose!!

B.

according to a reporter on the radio today apparently it was Keane that suggested that Fergie should have a look at Miller

cough ;)

Lets hope he's a bit better than Quinton Fortune so . . . . . for Irelands sake

[off topic ]

Quinton has been unluky with injuries but when he is fit he is a decent squad player with the ability to play anywhere along the LEFT and do a decent job. [/off topic]
    Surely you're contradicting yourself there?
    If according to you he's on the bench for Celtic so much what's the problem with him fighting for a position in a much better club?

Exactly. Very seldom you see a player leaving United that has not improved his game in his time there.

[edit] Changed right to LEFT [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Hard to blame Miller as he was only on a grand a week at celtic and was only offered in the region of 15 to stay. He is a bit of a slow burner and was expect to be leaving Celtic this year anyway because he had not made his mark. But some players take longer to develop their game and strength. Without injuries and given an oppertunity in the first team and he has grasped it. While managers do buy players that do not work out I think Miller will get better and better. He has a better touch and vision then Keane when he was 22 but does not posess the same box to box type game but then few have !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by The Muppet
    cough ;)

It must've been on Radio Roy or even Radio Muppet!!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement