Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

REPORT: Miller to Utd ???

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by The Muppet
    [B[off topic ]

Quinton has been unluky with injuries but when he is fit he is a decent squad player with the ability to play anywhere along the right and do a decent job. [/off topic]
    [/B]

/off topic
    Funny that I thought Fortune was a left sided player ;).
    /off topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭SuperStudent

Jesus the Celtic fans are bitter over this. Not so much here on the boards but in real life. These are the same people who said before the squad for Canada was announced - 'it's a disgrace the Miller isn't picked', or 'Miller is going to be a huge player for Ireland', now they're saying, 'Miller isn't even that good, he couldn't get into the Celtic team and he will sink at Utd, greedy b@stard etc etc.'
    Small time f*ckwits.
    They should get the 200,000 they brought to seville to go around to Miller's house and boo him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

/off topic
    Funny that I thought Fortune was a left sided player .
    /off topic

It depends what end of the stadium you're sitting in.;)

Thank you kind Sir for pointing out my mistake, I have edited it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

its just really annoys me to see the richest club in the world be able to get a player for free from a club like celtic who need money for transfers, i know there are far worse off clubs than celtic who get buggered by free transfers too but its annoys me still.
    im not a man u supporter but i hope he does well, hes ambitious anyway,he could hav4e stayed at celtic and been a hero there.
    wonder how many of friiendly internatuionals he will miss now though....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Celtic screwed up by letting his contract go like that, they have nobody to blaim but themselves.

As for Miller, I think its a great move for him.
    I don't think anyone can argue that if he has the potential to be the next Roy Keane then there is no better man to do the job that Fergie.

Did anyone else hear that Man Utd. Signed another Asian striker Kaja or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Celtic only have themselves to blame as they should have not let it get ot his stage. They should have ensured he was on a long-term contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

Originally posted by SAXA
    Hard to blame Miller as he was only on a grand a week at celtic and was only offered in the region of 15 to stay.
    Celtic offered him a lot more than 15 million to stay. They offered him the highest wage package for a Celtic player after Larsson.
    Celtic screwed up by letting his contract go like that, they have nobody to blaim but themselves.
    Celtic tried to get Miller to sign after he scored against Lyon a good few months ago and Miller's agent said his decision has nothing to do with wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by irish life
    Celtic offered him a lot more than 15 million to stay

15 million a week to stay!! That's some offer!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Originally posted by BaZmO*

Surely you're contradicting yourself there?
    If according to you he's on the bench for Celtic so much what's the problem with him fighting for a position in a much better club?

Hes got only Sutton ahead of him in the centre of midfield and thats only if all three strikers are fit which considering two of them are Sutton and Larsson isnt very often at Man U he has to get a spot against Keane, Scholes, Kleberson, Djemba Djemba and Butt!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by SuperStudent
    Jesus the Celtic fans are bitter over this. Not so much here on the boards but in real life. These are the same people who said before the squad for Canada was announced - 'it's a disgrace the Miller isn't picked', or 'Miller is going to be a huge player for Ireland', now they're saying, 'Miller isn't even that good, he couldn't get into the Celtic team and he will sink at Utd, greedy b@stard etc etc.'
    Small time f*ckwits.
    They should get the 200,000 they brought to seville to go around to Miller's house and boo him.

Lets not forget that for alot of Millers time at Celtic fc hes been injured and that the club have always kept faith with him

As a celtic fan I hope the little judas **** never gets a game for Man Us first team and ends up playing for some second division club in administration!

Originally posted by AmenToThat
    Hes got only Sutton ahead of him in the centre of midfield and thats only if all three strikers are fit which considering two of them are Sutton and Larsson isnt very often at Man U he has to get a spot against Keane, Scholes, Kleberson, Djemba Djemba and Butt!

Point taken. However is it not better for a young player to be playing at a high level of competiton, i.e. PL, FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League if and when he gets a game, rather than limiting himself to playing in the SPL or the first round of the Champions League if and when he gets his game. And as somebody pointed out, ManU can be involved in anything up to 60 games a season, playing much better opposition than that faced by Celtic. And with respect to Celtic FC he will also be surrounded with a higher calibre of footballers at Manu imo.

B.

As a celtic fan I hope the little judas **** never gets a game for Man Us first team and ends up playing for some second division club in administration!

After reading utter tripe like that I've realised there's no point in even talking to you!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

As a Celtic fan I can't believe the stick Miller is getting on this board. For example:

That ungrateful little turncoat! I hope someone breaks his legs for him. How Dare he turn his back on celtic like this to go play reserve football for Manchester United. He now, should be dropped from the all football activity at parkhead, no first team football, no reserve football, and tell him he's not welcome at training either. Oh, and if he goes to some amateur team to train/play in the meantime fine him for all his contracts worth. He better hope for his sake he doesn't play at parkhead, I feel the reception he gets will be less than welcome.

and

If he said earlier in the season what his intentions were, we possibly would have got some money for him, but instead he lied.
    And what's all this crap about "I've only ever supported TWO teams, Celtic and manyoo." Who would he support if we met in Europe??
    Little pr!ck, he better not get a single game for the rest of the season.

But then a very good point that changed peoples view on the situation:
    We’re all disappointed to see him go, but later on today we’ll be signing an extremely promising young midfielder (Pearson), a boy who is over the moon to be joining his boyhood heroes and who is leaving a mightily pissed off club and bunch of fans in his wake; sound familiar?

I am dying to see IF he plays at the weekend what reception he will get.

Lets hope your not Irish as your probably one of those who slags Keane for choosing club over country...

Point taken. However is it not better for a young player to be playing at a high level of competiton, i.e. PL, FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League if and when he gets a game, rather than limiting himself to playing in the SPL or the first round of the Champions League if and when he gets his game. And as somebody pointed out, ManU can be involved in anything up to 60 games a season, playing much better opposition than that faced by Celtic. And with respect to Celtic FC he will also be surrounded with a higher calibre of footballers at Manu imo.

B.

Agreed completely every Celtic fan you talk to will tell you that Miller was gonna move eventually as will Martin O Neill thats just a fact of the SPL, it cant compete with the Premiership!
    Its the timing and the way the whole thing was conducted thats the problem!
    He should have stayed till maybe 24-25 continued his football education at Celtic getting plenty of European experience and then moved south earning Celtic a few bob as the club has stood by him through his many injuries!
    Its the way he did it as much as the fact that hes moving as hes protested all along that he was happy at Celtic aprreciated what the club had done for him and wanted to stay

It was also pointed out on the Irish news today that because he will be 23 when he moves with no transfer fee that his home town club Ballincollig Boys will receive no compensation from his tranfer

This guy is a snake in the grass and perfectly suited to the company of Keane and "take the charity money" ferguson!

• Advertisement

Lets not forget that for alot of Millers time at Celtic fc hes been injured and that the club have always kept faith with him

As a Manchester United fan, all I can say is: ha, ha, ha. Bitter.
    As Liamo's agent said today;
    'Celtic are one of the biggest teams in Britain (lies), Manchester United are one of the biggest teams in the world'.
    Personally I think United should make Celtic a feeder club ala Antwerp, Sao Paulo, Sporting Lisbon & Shels.:)

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Lets hope your not Irish as your probably one of those who slags Keane for choosing club over country...

Been attenting Ireland games since 1975 how about you?

Ireland are sh!t.

Ireland are sh!t.
    So what? :confused:

Been attenting Ireland games since 1975 how about you?
    And you still choose club over country. The amount of stick Keane got for doing this and you are probably one of them Anti-Keane's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Ireland are sh!t.

What does that have to do with anything?

Ireland are sh!t.

I hear a banning a coming!!!

I hear a banning a coming!!!
    And a closing of a thread too.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    And you still choose club over country. The amount of stick Keane got for doing this and you are probably one of them Anti-Keane's.

Nothing to do with Siapan

I believe a whisper campaign was started to oust Mick McCarthy from his job after the world cup in the beleif that Keane would come back to play for Ireland when he was gone!

Keane did nothing to stem the flow of whispers

The team became unsettled and had a bad start to the European campaign.

Mick McCarthy was sacked and Keane because of advice from Ferguson refused to come back.

Apart from that it seems Keane had a big part to play in persuading Miller to sign for United
    If hes as big a Celtic fan as he says he is surely he would not act in this way as Celtic are a club in debt and loosing cash every year while Man U alone in world football continue to make large profits

Apart from that it seems Keane had a big part to play in persuading Miller to sign for United
    If hes as big a Celtic fan as he says he is surely he would not act in this way as Celtic are a club in debt and loosing cash every year while Man U alone in world football continue to make large profits
    Keane is a Celtic fan but he is still with United and planning to manage them some day, you harldy expect him to keep it quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ireland are sh!t.

Fancy stepping outside???

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

Keane's a celtic fan just like every other irish person. Just as I'm a United fan, Keane was a Spurs fan. His favourite player was Glenn Hoddle etc... Even if Keane did suggest Miller to Ferguson, his interests are in United now, he doesn't owe anything to Celtic!

My belief is that Keane had sweet FA in Ferguson signing Miller anyway. Keane's the club captain not the chief scout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Quote:

Keane's a celtic fan just like every other irish person.

What a stupid statement ! I'm Irish and I'm not a Celtic fan !

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Celtic cant feel betrayed by Millers choice ... Hes honoured his contract, played for the club for 6 years, took a look at their offer and decided he prefered to move to United. Yeah, its dissapointing for Celtic as hes got the potential to be a big player but Millers done nothing immoral or wrong - hes not pulled any sulking or crap like that. He cost them feck all, hes contributed to their season and hes going as hes perfectly entitled to do. If theres going to be some backlash against him from Celtic fans then probably the best thing for the player and both clubs is to arrange some small fee and let him go to Old Trafford now.

He owes Celtic about as much as Celtic feel they owe the players who dont make it and are released as youths and told theyll never make it as footballers. Wheres the loyalty then? Only time clubs talk about loyalty is when players dont do what they say. Isnt Pearson as much of a Judas for moving to Celtic?

Only thing that bothers me as an Irish fan is the competition hell face for central midfield. Id hate for him to end up as another Butt, good, but not good enough for the first team. Ireland has enough bench players in the squad and hes going to have to be really the real deal to establish himself as first team material. A few players with bigger reputatons than him have gone to OT and sank.

As for Keane Id say his role was overstated - Id imagine he watches Celtic games and got a look at miller and maybe mentioned it to Ferguson but Ferguson respects Keane as a player and a captain, not as scout. With Miller having the reputation as the best thing since sliced bread he was going to come to the attention of clubs like United at some point regardless of Keane.

Probably confirms O Neill to liverpool at the end of the season though, hes done as much as he can with Celtic and if they cant keep their brightest young prospects a manager with ambition might be disillusioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Superstudent banned from Soccer for Trolling.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As regard Mr. Miller fair play to him if he gets his game he will be playing against a better calibre of player in the Premiership that in Scotland. No matter how good people say Celtic are they play a few tough matches against Rangers and walkovers in nearly every other match. In the Premiership he will be playing against a much better class of player and to get on the team he has to get by some class players as well. If he succeeds Ireland will have a gem.

Good luck to the lad (eventhou he is joining scum!).

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

i dont think miller will stuggle to get his place ahead of djemba x 2 but it will be tough for him getting ahead of butt or phil neville to play alongside keane.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by jonno
    I also remember that Ferguson reckoned Djemba Djemba could replace Keane and he also said taht Fletcher was the new Beckham :) There's two players taht so far havn't lived up to expectation.

I'm not disputing that Miller is a great player, it's just he isn't as consistant as Keane. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong and become a star. God knows the Irish team could do with another midfield star.
    They're all very young players. Roy wasn't recognised as a world class figure until he was around 28 even older. Give them some time, I think Fletcher has some real talent and he does look like he is in the same mould as Beckham. Beckham took a few years to grow into a very good player too you know.

As for Miller getting games, he will get his fair share of games. Just like everyone else in the squad. He isn't getting that many games in the Celtic side this year either. He's not a consistant starter anyway.

I think he is going to be a world class player as long as he doesn't get any serious injuries etc. United will get the best out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

Originally posted by tinky
    Quote:

Keane's a celtic fan just like every other irish person.

What a stupid statement ! I'm Irish and I'm not a Celtic fan !

Tinky

shut up you tit. 'every other person'... meant like every second person! figure of speech ye dope! obviously couldn't understand the point being made. :rolleyes: do you think keane was a spurs/rangers fan??? if you have no comment about miller, why comment at all!? most irish fans who support an english team generally like celtic too. and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, providing you know who you really support if your english side play celtic in a competitive match!

I have nothing else to say about Miller now until he turns out in a red shirt. Good luck to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

In my opinion, any Celtic fans with bitter comments to make about Liam Miller joining United have 'head up the arse' syndrome. Give me one reason why he should not join Manchester United......he is a professional footballer, this is not the GAA, he doesn't have to play for whomever he is told to. He made up his own mind to join Man Utd after Celtic let his contract run close to termination. United have been sniffing for a while, Celtic dropped the ball on this one big time. Putting in an improved offer to their player after United had been knocking is ridiculous, and even if they had tried to offer him something better earlier, its pretty obvious he wouln't have taken it, because he wanted to play for Manchester United. The Celtic 'judas' fans are actually small time bullys with an easy target. O'Neill will leave too lads.

Lets get this straight - there is no earthly reason why Liam Miller should not join Manchester United.

Any references to the Irish national team and Roy Keane, with all the baggage that brings up, are wholly irrelevant. Fergie spots a talented player soon to be out of contract and signs him. There is no problem at all.

Advertisement