Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Machine error

Options
  • 08-01-2004 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I recently lost my registry, and was forced to re-install most of my apps, including my J2SE package, and my Java IDE (Eclipse). However, I've found that I can't seem to run the IDE anymore, even after reinstallation.

The problem seems to rest with my Java Virtual Machine. When my IDE starts, it appears to issue a directive to javaw.exe in my system32 folder, which then says it can't find my Java Runtime Environment.

Is there anything I can do, short of a full XP reinstallation? Since I have a shoddy computer here at work, I have all my stuff on the one partition, and no obvious backup solution. Therefore, I'm willing to accept any suggestions, no matter how bizarre, or awkward.

Cheers in advance,
    M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Just a bizarre idea.

Maybe it is looking for MS Java Virtual Machine, which as far as I know is different to Sun's Virtual Machine.

If this is the case then maybe reinstall MS Java Virtual Machine can fix your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not sure. Try dowloading the latest Java version (1.4) from java.sun.com. They provide a .exe self-installer which should set up the correct JRE paths etc.

If you've already done that, the best I can suggest is install/uninstall of the J2SDK.

(The SDK is a big download - up to 60megs)

Advertisement