Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cube Engine

Options
  • 08-01-2004 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

Just been playing this FREE game for the past few hours.
    Cube is an open source multiplayer and singleplayer first person shooter game built on an entirely new and very unconventional engine. Cube is a landscape-style engine that pretends to be an indoor FPS engine, which combines very high precision dynamic occlusion culling with a form of geometric mipmapping on the whole world for dynamic LOD for configurable fps & graphic detail on most machines. Uses OpenGL & SDL.

Play very much like a greased up quake with a thumping sound.

screenshot_275191.jpg

screenshot_199627.jpg

screenshot_971491.jpg

Latest Release is here : http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/cube/cube_2003_12_23.zip
    only 18MB
    new features include: demo recording/playback, new arena multiplayer modes, jumppads, improved mapmodel physics and configurability (bridges), mp3/ogg playback and a completely new cube soundtrack, many cool new maps and misc features
    - http://www.cubeengine.com/

Have to say its class, would be mental on lan, also natively runs in *nix as well as windows(same download) and its FREE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Looks like a cross between Quake and Serious Sam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Gonna give this a lash tonight.... See what its like...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It'll be extensively play-tested at GalwayLAN8 :)

Originally posted by Stephen
    Looks like a cross between Quake and Serious Sam.

Seems to have a bit of Unreal Tournament too, at least in the form of an ASD-rifle type thing (which looks like a Garand).

Is there a zoom/scope mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Also forgot to mention theres an in game map builder
    Allows in-engine editing of geometry in full 3D (you fly around the map, point / drag stuff to select it / modify it), which can even be done simultaneously with others in multiplayer (a first!). Has simplistic but effective fine grain vertex lighting that looks like lightmapping and can do dynamic lights & shadows. Doesn't need any kind of map precompilation, even lighting is done on the fly.
    Im not into map editing but that seems 2ez :D

Also
    has client/server networking that goes a long way in giving a lag-free game experience, and features a Doom/Quake-style singleplayer (2 game modes, savegames) and multiplayer (12 game modes, master server / server browser, demo recording) game with some uncompromising brutal oldskool gameplay.

Theres also a mod called "quad" which is supposed to be good, havent tried it yet - http://www.cursesandepithets.com/?section=quad

• Advertisement

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Seems to have a bit of Unreal Tournament too, at least in the form of an ASD-rifle type thing (which looks like a Garand).

Is there a zoom/scope mode?

From the weapons ive used are rifle, machine gun, shot gun, chain gun and a BFG like weapon, this is akin to QW from what ive played of both, its just so flipping fast and that sound track is mental

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

is multiplayer any good ?

You`re all owned when i pick up that quad in front of me, wish i had this on lan, console commands are very quake like as is the config files(autoexec.cfg), server seems easy to set up, here im a windows client to a linux server
    baz.jpg

Originally posted by Placebo
    is multiplayer any good ?
    Just been playing Free For All online with a 70 ping, owned some noobs, maps are cool, i was only in for a few mins and the other 2 players left :( after i got a nice quad run

baz_cube.jpg

Downloading atm. Looks amazingly like serious sam.

• Advertisement

it's actually quite shít

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Yes it is. I'll have to tweak it a bit then give it another go.

Are you mad?
    whats "****" about it, ok maybe its not some peoples cup of tea, but i love it, it can only get better

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It has potential but it's just a Quake copy written by a random bloke on the internet. I'd love to be able to code it but it's far above my head. Give it a while and it should become better. Hopefully.

Originally posted by bazH
    Are you mad?
    whats "****" about it, ok maybe its not some peoples cup of tea, but i love it, it can only get better

Ok it's not really "shít"...but it's nowhere near GOOD. It was only able to find 1 online server, I didn't see an option for starting up a server myself, and the single player is pretty bad. Also the weapons just seem like shoddier versions of other fps's weapons.

The fact that it plays so well on high ping is a plus, i agree that its not the finished article. Its defintely going in the right direction, where the focus is on hardcore fun, if anything its more doom than quake, and for a opensource project you cant lose

Originally posted by utility_
    Ok it's not really "shít"...but it's nowhere near GOOD. It was only able to find 1 online server, I didn't see an option for starting up a server myself, and the single player is pretty bad. Also the weapons just seem like shoddier versions of other fps's weapons.
    Sigh, 5mins to read the README, anyway, you start her up, goto multiplayer and update from the master server, the goto join server and you`ll have the updated list there. For running your own server all you do is run the server.bat, really if you couldnt work that out maybes the game aint for you.

Sigh, 5mins to read the README, anyway, you start her up, goto multiplayer and update from the master server, the goto join server and you`ll have the updated list there. For running your own server all you do is run the server.bat, really if you couldnt work that out maybes the game aint for you.

Yeah I sorted out the server thing there...but I DID do the update list thing and could still only see one server responding and it had a ping of 150+ with no players...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

in all honesty its 18mb and has multiplayer capabilities !
    good, i think.

utility_
    There's a reason the readme file has it's name.
    "OMFG! THEARS NOO GOOIE FER TEH SERVAR! IT R TEH SH1T3! GAMESPAI! 4 EVAR!!!1"

Christ, but you're a tard.

It's a lovely little well-coded opensource game, it's filesize is tiny and it's perfect for college gaming.

Plus, there's isn't a snifter of that putrid smelling Steam bollocks anywhere near it.

• Advertisement

Already theres a temp Irish Server up(on dsl tho), is playable on massive pings(1000ms). Real good fun, Instagib is on it as well, very nice. The aard3 is a nice wee 3-4man map. Deffo a game to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

Server up at shevy.ath.cx :D

omg the lag on that irish server is unreal!!!

lol, its off public server list now cause it was getting swamped, should be ok now for a couple of us now

Server was running on DSL heh, and the hoster was also joining in ;), we had a game or 2 earlier with me, shev and some german, was grand until a 4th joined. Apparently it requires more or less no CPU.

For a quick look to see are servers about, you check here : http://wouter.fov120.com/cube/masterserver/
    Had some great games there, if anyone knows what the carrot power up does, please tell. Problems with newish games like this is that servers/players are few and far between, jumped into one this morning that quickly filled up. Great fun
    baz3.jpg

For those interested, the Irish CUBE community resides in #cube.ie on Quakenet

Give it a Go!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Jesus lads, I owned ye all on my first go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Look what I did.

bill1.jpg
    bill2.jpg

• Advertisement

Server was running on DSL heh, and the hoster was also joining in ;), we had a game or 2 earlier with me, shev and some german, was grand until a 4th joined. Apparently it requires more or less no CPU.

Hehhe, I'll test it on our squid proxy tonight so.
    Might have another dual/ 2V2 server up (128Kbit line though) soon.

Box "blackle" spec:
    Pentium 200Mhz @ 225 (non-MMX)
    48Meg EDO ram @ 75Mhz
    3Com595
    3Com 509 Boomerang afaik
    Must enable CPU offload on them come to think of it.

We're on Netsource SOHO.

Advertisement