Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VEC colleges AUP for computers changed

• 08-01-2004 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

I just heard out about a new AUP (Acceptable usage policy) that’s being brought in for VEC (Vocational Education Committee) colleges ... I dont have much info on it but from what ive seen ...

its a legal contract that you must sign it covers:

web usages , content ( what i found interesting was under content it said guestbooks are banned , im also guessing forums)

hacking & damage to networks , exploits, email , passwords & basically no privacy

Anyone got any more info on this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

ooer that sucks pantyhose. Hope that never happens. Whats wrong with using forums anyways?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

Places affected

Ballsbridge College of Further Education
    Ballyfermot College of Further Education
    Coláiste Dhúlaigh
    Coláiste Éanna, Cabra
    Coláiste Eoin, Finglas
    Coláiste Íde, College of Further Education, Finglas
    Crumlin College of Further Education
    Inchicore College of Further Education
    Killester College of Further Education
    Kylemore College, Ballyfermot
    Larkin Community College
    Liberties College
    Margaret Aylward Community College, Whitehall
    Marino College
    Pearse College of Further Education
    Plunket College, Whitehall
    Rathmines College of Further Education
    Ringsend Technical Institute
    St. Kevin's College, Clogher Road, Crumlin
    Whitehall College of Further Education

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

VEC colleges cant tie their shoelaces let alone admin their networks.

They had ALL the cd-rom drives locked in BCFE until Christmas, the threat of a student sit-in made them change their minds.

They also seem to think that playing games on the network is the cause of every virus, not the fact that any dick can walk in and use the computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Unless your college has a very good admin/s then this wont come in...........& if it does its simply to get admin access in Win 2000.

Thanks joePC:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

if it does its simply to get admin access in Win 2000.

I like your thinkin :) . Yea if they do it, just lock the admins out of there computers..... that should make a nice protest eh ?

Grab the password editor boot disk and see what there made of !!

• Advertisement

It's easy to get admin access in win2k? Maybe, but not without resetting the password which kind've gives the game away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea thats a slight problem alrite....... if there running win98 its much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

anyone have any more info on this contract ?

Saw an updated Network Usage Policy booklet on the messagboard in college today... didn't seem to mention anything about forums (though I did just glance over it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Secondary school that I attended had a similar policy: reasoning: they don't want (Some of whom may be minors) divulging personal (contact)information... they're more than likely just an ass-saving excercise..

• Advertisement
Advertisement