Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp duty on bank cards

Options
  • 08-01-2004 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I got my bank statement today and got a shock. I have a laser card which is also a cash card. I was charged on 2/1/04 €10 for ATM Stamp Duty and a seperate €20 for laser stamp duty.

I thought that you paid the higher of the two charges. Or has the bank made mistake?

James

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Don't think so. I get taxed €10 for my ATM card and then €40 for my credit card. The only thing is if you have several credit cards but just one account you just pay the one levy, but in general, as far as I know you pay for what you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

last year i only got charged 20, as i have a built in atm and laser card too. i think the correct figures for stamp duty are a tenner for an atm, a tenner for a laser card and 20 for an atm and laser

here's from the dept of finance website:

Stamp Duties

- Increase in stamp duties:

- on cheques from 8 to 15 cent per cheque

- on credit cards from €19 to €40 per annum

- on ATM cards from €6.25 to €10 per annum

New stamp duty on Laser cards of €10 per annum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How come I have been charged €30 then? I have a combined laser/atm card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I haven't been charged by AIB yet for my ATM card. I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Maybe they have you down as having a separate cash card. I'm with Ulster Bank, and have a Service/Laser card, yet last year they renewed my Cash card for the same account. When I got in touch with them to tell them that I had a Service/Laser card, they seemed surprised that I no longer wanted the Cash card. When I pointed out how stupid it would be to keep the cash card, it went completely over the muppets head, but he cancelled it in any case. The point is that they seem to issue the Service/Laser card without cancelling the cash card unless you specifically tell them to. So if you got your Laser card before your standard card needed to be renewed, they may still think you have both cards, as pointless as that may be.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Johnmb
    Maybe they have you down as having a separate cash card. I'm with Ulster Bank, and have a Service/Laser card, yet last year they renewed my Cash card for the same account. When I got in touch with them to tell them that I had a Service/Laser card, they seemed surprised that I no longer wanted the Cash card. When I pointed out how stupid it would be to keep the cash card, it went completely over the muppets head, but he cancelled it in any case. The point is that they seem to issue the Service/Laser card without cancelling the cash card unless you specifically tell them to. So if you got your Laser card before your standard card needed to be renewed, they may still think you have both cards, as pointless as that may be.

I had a cash card and then got the laser/atm combo card. They specificaly told me that the had to cancel the cash card before I could have a laser card.

Can i get the €10 back?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    I had a cash card and then got the laser/atm combo card. They specificaly told me that the had to cancel the cash card before I could have a laser card. Can i get the €10 back?
    Then you had two cards during the year and two fees are chargeable, so it lloks like no money back for you.

Is the fee not charged a year in advance? That is you are paying for 2004 now?

The fee is charged on a particular day (can't remember what the date is). It doesn't matter if you have had a card for any other period, if you don't have it on that particular date, you don't pay (something similar to getting capital alowances), unless they have changed this aspect as well. If you only have one card then you should only have paid €20. Get on to your bank and point out to them that you only had one card, and if they haven't cancelled the cash card the fault lies with them, not you. My bank refunded the charge of (I think) €6.35 for a new card when I got on to them without any hassle, even though the muppet I dealt with couldn't understand why I wouldn't want to have a cash card as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

April is the month you get charged - no idea what exact day.

• Advertisement

Why was I charged on the 2nd January?

They (the government) most likely changed the date to January to keep it in line with the tax year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

It's usually end of December for me!?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

Think I had the same problem last year or something similar - cant quite recall but think they even charged stamp duty on two seperate occassions - I have a combined atm/laser card - complained and got a refund. Had meant to cancel laser card before getting hit with charge for it this year - but alas left it too late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Originally posted by yankinlk
    April is the month you get charged - no idea what exact day.

credit cards are charged in April
    others Jan 2

Originally posted by chickey
    Think I had the same problem last year or something similar - cant quite recall but think they even charged stamp duty on two seperate occassions - I have a combined atm/laser card - complained and got a refund. Had meant to cancel laser card before getting hit with charge for it this year - but alas left it too late!

Yes it is the TSB. Have they a reputation for this?

Advertisement