Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish ISP to create 60 new jobs

Options
  • 08-01-2004 7:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Good to see growth in the alternative last mile. As long as this isn't fluff of course. I'm pretty sure IBB still isn't available in Cork, despite the speculation, and ENN isn't the most discerning of tech news websites.

adam
    Irish ISP to create 60 new jobs
    Thursday, January 08 2004
    by Anthony Quinn

High-speed wireless Internet Service Provider Irish Broadband is to create 60 new jobs by the end of 2004.

The new positions include technical, engineering, administrative, marketing and sales staff.

Telecommunications regulator ComReg recently awarded seven of the 59 new 3.5GHz fixed-wireless Internet access licences to the company. The new business the firm expects to garner from the seven new licences should allow it to more than double staff numbers over the next 12 months, as it can now target about 80 percent of the country's population -- in densely populated areas -- with an improved service.

Although fixed-wireless broadband services have been available in Ireland for some time through ISPs like Irish Broadband and competitors such as Leap and DigiWeb, the new 3.5GHz band will enable these firms to sell wireless broadband Internet access via small indoor receptors such as Broadband's plug-and-play "Ripwave" product. Previously rooftop antennas were necessary for the wireless services. Irish broadband said that it has also begun using the unlicensed 5.7GHz spectrum to feed its 2.4GHz base stations in order to increase range.

[...]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

PR twaddle. More like 6 new jobs.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

The firm recently recruited a number of marketing staff, boosting current staff numbers to 45. Sixty is a conservative estimate for the amount of new employees, Caitlin O'Connor, head of market development at Irish Broadband told ElectricNews.Net.

Irish Broadband is aiming for more 6,000 subscribers by the end of 2004

45+60=105

Each will conservatively earn 30,000 average including PRSI contributions ( Dublin wages) = 105 x 30 = €3,125,000 wage bill per annum.

6000 punters will pay ..say.. 40 a month on average (ex vat) = €480 a year each = €2,880,000 net income.

After making a loss of over €200,000 they still have to pay expenses , vehicles, electricity, backhaul bandwidth, equipment subsidies, licence fees, office costs , advertising (they would rather pimp in here though :(...much cheaper) , rates etc etc.

ENN are totally off with the fairies for taking this IBB horsemanure at face value. Personally I don't believe the 45 staff figure either .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

Originally posted by Muck
    45+60=105

6000 punters will pay ..say.. 40 a month on average (ex vat) = €480 a year each = €2,880,000 net income.

After making a loss of over €200,000 they still have to pay expenses , vehicles, electricity, backhaul bandwidth, equipment subsidies, licence fees, office costs , advertising (they would rather pimp in here though :(...much cheaper) , rates etc etc.

M

Irish Broadband have several corporate customers that pay for 1:1 or 4:1 pipes that would go a long way to balancing your numbers. I have a quote on my desk (well...its here somewhere) for a 4:1 2Mbit service for EUR13,000 p.a.

Bogobot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

for a 4:1 2Mbit service for EUR13,000 p.a.

www.leap.ie are offering 1Mb with a guarenteed 256MB (ie 4:1) for €299 per month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Lads,
    These companies don't expect to make a cent from home users. They will only build a new base station in Cork, Limerick etc. if there are enough business customers. Home users are just a bonus or a way of utilising off-peak bandwidth.
    €30k you say Muck. A lot of these staff will come straight from Uni and walk the streets selling the product for €18k with bonus's.
    thegills

30k average wage is a fair assumption I think if your HQ is in Dublin.

As IBB are concentrating on offering Wireless only in/near Urban areas where leased lines are cheaper owing to Tail costs and where the noise floor is high I fear thay will not be able to compete on SLA with Leased lines and will charge around the Leap rate .... €299 per month (€5k a year) not around €13k a year which is about what a 512k line costs in Dublin with a high availibility SLA nowadays. The 512k line is uncontended and therefore effectively the same as a 4:1 contention 2Mbit ..... The MSE will be live this year and will affect prices dramatically in their licence areas most have a MAN.

They could offer better SLA's with pure 3.5Ghz links ....only time will tell. I am not specifically aware of how they architected their 3.5Ghz spectrum into their 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz existing networks.

I suspect they will still run most local loops on the same frequencies as 802.11 kit.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

30k in Dublin is generous in the current IT climate. IrishJobs.ie will tell you that. I know grads in Cork starting on 17k, while others that work in support jobs can start on as little as 14k.

Sales and support jobs for Dublin are probably 15-20k and that might be what a lot of these announced jobs are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Besides, during a period of rapid growth, you can expect staff numbers to expand ahead of customer numbers. Expenditure exceeding income is also normal during a major expansion. You have to install the kit and sign up the customers before you can start billing them! It's part of the investment. You've got to speculate to accumulate and all that jazz :)

Anyway....back to my basic premise.

IBB will not employ 105 persons by 31/12/2004 no matter what ENN and Jamie Smyth say. Hassle me about it in a years time if I am wrong :D

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Muck
    Hassle me about it in a years time if I am wrong :D

Skinner: Oh, come on, Edna: we both know these children have no future!

[all the children stop and look at him]

[chuckles nervously] Prove me wrong, kids. Prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

dont want to get all job costy on all here but i think Mucks cost should be considered as a bit true to the total cost. the cost of payroll is not to total cost of a person. so the cost of an 18k grad would be closer to 30 by the time all of the usual stuff is added...seat, table, phone (lets be generous and assume a web connection), health blah blah blah.

sorry to spanner the idea....

Advertisement