Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD upgrade problem

• 08-01-2004 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Ok heres the problem,
    Have a 40 gig |HD bought when I built this machine, I partitioned it 3Gig and 37gig,
    I put all the Win98 system files on the 3 Gig, and all downloads etc on the 37 gig,

Not surprisingly the 3 Gigs didnt last long and I took down an old 6 gig from an old PC, formatted it through win98 and then installed Win2k professional onto it.

So now I have a dual boot system.

Recently as expected the 6gig started to fill up and get slow, so now I have bought a 120Gig HD with the goal of just copying all the Win2k system files and data straight over and using this as my main drive.

Easy you might say. But when I tried to set the 6 gig as master and 120 as slave so i could use 'drive image' to copy all the data over. It wont let me boot from this drive, as it needs, it seems, all the dual boot inf from the win98 partition.

The last thing I want to do is clean install win2k onto the 120gig as I never in my life want to have to install Oracle9i from scratch onto a disk.

Any help greatly received, am I just missing something simple?

Ger

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

The Drive that is used to boot is the one set as Active through fdisk. So, it seems that your Win98 disk is set to Active and it has the boot.ini file on it that allows you to dual boot to the extra 6Gig drive. What you may need to do is use fdisk to set the 6Gig drive as the active one. You may also need to modify the boot.ini file on the 6Gig drive. This is only a quick answer. No time to think it through! Hope it helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Surely you can put 120gig on ide for instead of cdrom and just use ghost to copy partition to partition,I wonder should this work as i am not sure of dual boot systems!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

how does ghost work?

im getting a new drive soon and will want to ghost my old drive to the new one.

is the software for this free?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

it's made by norton so if you have systemworks you'd have it already. It's small, less than a meg. You use it through DOS and it's very simple to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Ok GHOST was perfect done the trick, set up HD on CD rom cable, thanks for all your help.

But now after the ghost operation, i go to logon to win2k on the new partition, logon and a message box stating that the system has no paging file comes up, and tells you to right click on my computer etc to set it, however when you click OK to continue with the loading of the OS the screen just remains black.

Has anybody had this problem before? How did you over come it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

i wouldnt consider myself an expert with os's but i think an easy way out would be to re install the os. ie. without getting rid of any of your programs etc.

wait to see what everyone else suggests. leave this as a last resort...

Advertisement