Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DV and a DV capture card....

• 08-01-2004 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

Recently captured video for the first time from my DV camcorder. I have a good enough graphics card but not one that has DV in so I had to use s-video to transfer it.

I'm thinking of picking up a DV card for my PC so I can connect via firewire or whtever the hell type of connection DV uses but I'm curious as to the benefits.

My video is stored on small DV tapes so I don't think having a DV connection from camera to PC will speed up the transfer, am I right?

Also, does the DV - DV connection provide a clearer picture? After transfering the DV tape via S-video I was surprised at how poor the resultant picture quality was, not much better than video and hardly worth using a DVD for.

So, put basically, what are the advantages of using a DV card in my PC over just plain old analogue transfer of DV video.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭esquier

You must get a firewire card and 6 to 4 cable. There is no loss of quality as you`re transferring digital. I got a Sunsway card from Komplett which is €17 plus a cable for €10. It transfer realtime and if you`ve got DV-IN in your cam you can edit your footage and transfer it back to tape with no loss of quality otherwise you have to compress to MPEG 1 or 2 and burn to dvd or cd. Hope this helps.

Advertisement