Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband not available?!!!!!!

• 08-01-2004 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

hi all,
    just moved to clonee,co.meath, and guess what?, eircom does not provide broadband here! Clonee is one of the strongest population growth centers in ireland and is located less than two miles from Blanchardstown, which has broadband , but "eircom has no plans to provide broadband service to your area at this time". Pathetic response from a pathetic corporation . Ireland the IT centre of Europe ? :confused: ..................................................................silence is deafening isnt it!

anyway, what i like to know is , have i any options now for some type of broadband,
    and if so which are the best and most reliable, i spend alot of time gaming online.

thanks for your help, :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I know how you feel, I live in Carrigaline, Co.Cork, Which has a population of over 15,000 in a very small area, and the exchange here only got enabled in November, Over a year after it was promised.

As for your other options, The only option is satellite, satellite is great for heavy downloading but for games it is pretty useless. You'll have to revert back to 56k or ISDN for gaming.

All in all, despite the heavy sign-up fee with most satellite ISP's, the cost are often as good as, if not better than the price of "telephone line" broadband, currently on offer in Ireland.

You could always get a 2 or 3mbit sat connection and share it between four or five neighbours, if the startup costs are too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭seph

good to hear yea finally got bb davejoe, .......looks like i'm stuck with 56k dial-up......
    i hear that isdn is not really bb and not worth the extra cost for gaming.....

maybe i'll just have to move again !
    take care.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by seph
    hi all,
    just moved to clonee,co.meath, and guess what?, eircom does not provide broadband here! Clonee is one of the strongest population growth centers in ireland and is located less than two miles from Blanchardstown, which has broadband , but "eircom has no plans to provide broadband service to your area at this time".

This sounds strange. Any Clonee, Co. Meath numbers i checked a while back (publicly available ones like the chinese takeaways etc) all passed the online DSL test. While DSL isn't yet available to order there, Clonee exchange is definitely on the way.

But unless you're in one of the new apartments in the middle of Clonee village you probably don't actually live in Clonee... You probably live where I do - in one of the estates between Huntstown and the Dublin / Meath border (littlepace / hunters run / castaheaney / deerhaven etc etc) none of which are in either Clonee or Meath, (irrespective of what the estate agent told you) and all of which are on the Blanchardstown exchange (confirmed to me some time ago by an eircom tech) which is located in the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.

The reason eircom has no plans to provide broadband to this area is down to DSL distance limitations. I guess maybe when the Clonee exchange is actually available to order DSL from we can all lobby eircom to move our lines, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

In the meantime, try IBB. I had them out on my roof but there was a "big white building" between me & their Ballycoolin mast.

Bummer, but them's the breaks.

56k ain't so bad....sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

i hear that isdn is not really bb and not worth the extra cost for gaming.....

ISDN isnt broadband at all but for gaming is alright. Decent pings and with the semi flat rate packages it isnt a total rip off ne more (just half a one :( )

Anyway good luck :)

Advertisement