Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vcd

Options
  • 08-01-2004 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Whats a VCD/

I think its a CD thats has videos burnt onto it i.e mpegs from a hard drive and it plays in your DVD player? Although some DVD players dont let them play

am I right, whats their advantage over DVDs or am I completely wrong.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, you've more or less got the jist of it. VideoCD or SuperVideoCD (SVCD) is basically similar to a VHS tape except on a disc. Most new DVD players should play them but some may not.

There is no advantage of VCD over DVD as DVD can hold much much more data on a disc meaning longer video time and better picture quality (and still room for special features etc).

I remember there being an attachment available for the failed Sega Saturn (and I think the PlayStation) to enable them to play VCD, though from what I remember they were incredibly expensive around the £200 mark! My how things have changed over a few years! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Yeah you're right. But it's a little more than just burnt, "authored" is the preferred word. So that VCD compliant devices can read and play them. The quality of VCD is comparable to VHS. The resolution is 320x240 or something similar (never remember specifics).

DVD holds more space so the quality is much better, res is 720 x 576 for PAL and 720 x 520 for NTSC (guessing again). 99% of DVD players should play VCD since it's a lower form of video.

More info at dvdrhelp.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Well if you dont have a dvd burner you cant make dvds. You can make VCDs though if you have a cd writer. So if you have mpegs you want to watch on a TV you can make a VCD.
    Obviously DVDs are better quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

got the idea, have a DVD burner but not installing it yet till I get a new PC. thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Is it possible to burn DVD quality video onto a CD?

I have home video bits and pieces that I would like to be able to play on the DVD player. Many of them are only five or ten minutes long. Is it possible to make a short DVD using a regular 800Mb CD-R?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If youe DVD player supports divx playback then encode video in a high resolution divx file. the latest divx and mpeg4 formats have much better compression then the mpeg2 DVD standard so you can fit longer length high quality video on a cd with them. If you want a more compatible format then use svcd at the highest bitrate (300kb/s afaik) it is certainly better than vhs and you will get about 40min on one cd.

Advertisement