Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban List

Options
  • 08-01-2004 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Just after reading Amps post about how long weemcd is banned for, and why and it gave me an idea.

The 2 times I've been banned from seperate forums here on boards, I've never actually been informed of the 3 things I'd like to know, which are:
    1. Who banned me(not essential to know, but nice all the same)
    2. Why was I banned (this isn't always obvious)
    3. How long am I banned for (this is definatly something I like to know when I'm banned)
    After checking around, and asking a few mods, I see this info isn't nessecary for a mod to give out, nor is it compulsary to put down anywhere publically accessible to the banned person.

I think it'd be a good idea to have it so that if a mod does ban a person, they have to put in the above 3 pieces of info in an up to date list that the banned person can view. It'd probably save the mods some hassle from anyone they ban as well.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

could you not just change your name?
    ... *why are people so attached to their post count? .. I don't get it*
    It'd probably save the mods some hassle from anyone they ban as well.

if the person didn't know which mod banned them in the first place.. how could they hassel them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Originally posted by KlodaX

Change your name, and open a new account just because you've been banned from one forum on the whole of boards.ie? Your kidding right?
    Originally posted by KlodaX
    if the person didn't know which mod banned them in the first place.. how could they hassel them?

They could hassle every mod that's on said forum through pm and IRC, and also hassle the admins. Don't know if its ever been done, but the possibility exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    They could hassle every mod that's on said forum through pm and IRC, and also hassle the admins. Don't know if its ever been done, but the possibility exists.
    It's been done. Also has it been done a few times that I've been PMed asking "Why am I banned from forum X?" when I don't even frequent that forum, never mind mod it. I've also received requests about how to complete games, how to apply for X taxation form, as well as some other spurious things that I can't remember. They're infrequent at most though, so I just find it funny when it happens. A response to such things depends wholly on my boredom at the time :D

If you've been banned from a forum, you should do 3 things, in this order;
    1) Check your PM box. The majority of mods will PM banees explaning why etc.
    2) If no PM, get onto IRC, and very nicely ask a mod in there to check the mod board to see if it's been posted. 99% of bans are posted there.
    3) Log out, visit the board, and see if the mod has posted an addendum to the last thread you posted on.

If no joy with these, PM the mod(s) of the board and aks nicely why. PMs containing the words "Cocksucker", "motherfucker", and "muppet" (list not exhaustable), will at best be ignored, at worst will make the ban permanent.

There's no reason why a mod should have to go to any more trouble than clicking the 'ban' button (yes we have one of these now) to kick someone. If you don't know why you've been banned, follow my list...

(Oh, and Ban List, no - but the ability for a user to see where they've been banned from might be useful. I say no ban list because you'll always get someone who'll complain about their good name being sullied by being on a ban list)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by seamus
    I say no ban list because you'll always get someone who'll complain about their good name being sullied by being on a ban list)

Of course we are busy destroying their good name in the mod forum anwyas :).

Bravo seamus, good list that. I think that should be stuck in the newbie faq, if there isnt already something there to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Is this possible? When the ban button is hit, it automatically sends the 3 pieces of information (the mod, the thread, the length) to the banned user, or to a banned forum?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

That might be doable.

Mod: LittleTinyMan
    Reason: Because you exist
    Length: Permanent

hmmm

And this is going to change what exactly?

It means that when people are being a pain on a forum and the mod has to ban them then it doesn't waste so much of the mod's time.

yes because we all know that LittleTinyMan was being totally fair AND just. I sure hope I didn't waste too much of his time :(

For the record, I didn't think that LTM was justified in banning you at the time, but that's hardly relevant to a new mod feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Indeed, for the record, LTM is banned from the site......so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Doing this will probably get you permanently banned from the forum, and sometimes even permanently banned from boards.

Advertisement