Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"laggy" / Jerky PC

Options
  • 09-01-2004 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

As the title say's, my PC's a bit jerky.

It started to happen in the last few days, and I've since done a virus update, etc, but still its the same. Its not noticable in the general running of most of my applications, but if I go to load up Norton Anti-Virus 2003, it's slow to do so (takes about nearly a minute, compared with what used to be a few seconds).

The time its most noticable is when I'm playing racing games, or in 1st Person Shooters. In these games, every 4 to 5 seconds, it "lags" for a 1/2 a second, and then goes on. Very noticable when I'm flying a heli, or trying to shoot the bad guys :(

I'd be grateful for any help given. And it can be on the technical side, as I know a good bit about PC's, both HW, and SW.

My Basic Specs are;
    2GHz P4
    384MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500 64MB (ver 6.14.10.5303)

Win 2K, SP 4

The largest process is iexplorer.exe, but heck, I'm using it to type this message, so I'm leaving the one alone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

What OS you running?

Go to task manager and see if there is any processes hogging the CPU if there is end that process/s.

This should solve your problem.

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

^what joe said.

And when's the last time you defragged your hard drive (boring I know but do it anyway). Check for spyware, all the usual things. Norton can be very slow when the definition files get fragmented (and it'll affect everything else).

having said that, the biggest memory hog on my machine right now (just looked) is Opera. How much memory is it taking up? 80 megs (I should open in tabs rather than windows I suppose)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by sceptre
    Norton can be very slow when the definition files get fragmented (and it'll affect everything else)

Thanks dude; I think this is the problem. Recently DL'ed 8MB of updates (The automatic update thing wasn't on:dunno: ), and since then it was slowish. Going to defrag now

[edit]
    Thanks sceptre. Cured it. :cool:
    [/edit]

Advertisement