Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help RE: Car Insurance

Options
  • 09-01-2004 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Another quick question if ye dont mind.

I am 26 male provisional licence with:

2001 Fiat Punto ELX
    1.2 Litre

I applied for quotes from all the major insurance players inc. Britton / Quinn Direct etc.

The Cheapest quote I got was Quinn Direct €2359.50 Fully Comp, at the time britton insurance had quoted me above €3000.00 for fully comp.

On wednesday I went into Quinn and paid in full for the year.

Then today I got an email from britton insurance to say upon closer inspection my quote is now €2,100.00 Fully Comp.

Is there anything I can do now that I have paid Quinn Direct? The insurance on the car starts 11th Jan @ 11am.

Or have I lost money?

tks

Neonitrix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Ring Quinn Direct and say that you've been given a cheaper quote, they might match if you push them hard enough. You can definitely cancel the policy but they might charge you a cancellation fee which could be a few hundred yoyos... Although the fact that the cover doesn't start until Jan 11th might work in your favour. Either way, ring them ASAP and see that they'll do for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You have entered into a contract with Quinn Direct and paid in full. There is nothing they have to do for you. I'd also advise you to ring them, unlikely you'll get a refund, but maybe an insurance upgrade of some sort (e.g. better no-claims protection)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

How did you manage to get a €2100 quote on a provisional licence?

The best I can manage on a one litre is €3300 +. I'm 22 but the price varies very little from 22 - 26. This is using www.insure.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by unkel
    You have entered into a contract with Quinn Direct and paid in full. There is nothing they have to do for you. I'd also advise you to ring them, unlikely you'll get a refund, but maybe an insurance upgrade of some sort (e.g. better no-claims protection)

I'm not sure about that tbh. If the insurance doesn't start till the 11th then surely the contract is not binding till that date?

Just rinf them up and tell them the deal fell through buying the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You may have a right to a 10 day period to cancel the insurance. Did they get you to sign a waiver form cancelling this right?

• Advertisement
Advertisement