Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SG1 Season 7 up to 'Grace'

Options
  • 09-01-2004 2:23am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

So what do yis think of season 7 so far then?

I've been very underwhelmed so far. The more episodes i watch the more convinced I become that it is never going to reach its former heights. The last episode Grace was a very strange one. I've been hoping for a lot more emotion from the SG1 characters as its been lacking a lot recently, everything is so passé to them, but... this episode was about as subtle as a sledgehammer. Every now and then they decide to throw in a bit of a Sam/Jack lust/longing, and after having nothing for about 2 seasons it sticks out like a sore thumb. A bit of consistency wouldn't hurt. Anyway, about season 7 and SG1 in general...

First 2 episodes of the season (Fallen/Homecoming) were a bit ****. They always were going to be though due to the improbable nature of the plot they had to implement. Still though, the Star Wars crap and the chucking out of Jonas who freshened up SG1 was very disappointing.

Fragile Balance i thought was excellent. Very funny, the young Jack was excellent and it was a very nice, fun episode overall. Orpheus was even better, fantastic combat scenes, lots of suspense and drama... more of this please. Followed by Revisions, a solid enough if fairly predictable "everything is not as it seems!" type episode. Parts of it were quite impressive though. Lifeboat was very good. Good episode to showcase Michael Shanks acting ability, and a fair bit of drama to boot.

Haven't seen Enemy Mine. I liked Space Race, very Robocop/Starship Troopers-esque (always a good thing!). It wasn't very Stargate, but it was a nice change. Avenger 2.0 was an alright 'funny' episode, but having had Fragile Balance and Space Race already, I thought this was very wasteful. Particularily considering at the time the series was going to end in about 13 episodes. Birthright was pretty decent, episodes where we get to see Teal'c doing lots of stuff usually are. Then we had the 'big' two-parter, Evolution, which was unsurprisingly, pretty poor. Very run of the mill stuff with the usual big plot implications and the firefights in a Goa'uld stronghold which SG1 always win.

Looking back on the episodes, there hasn't been anything terribly wrong with season 7. Or with season 6. Or 5. But there hasn't been anything terribly right either. In seasons 1 to 3 and to some extent 4, SG1 was fresh. Jack had personal grudges. Same for Teal'c and Sam. Even Daniel did, and it was very entertaining when he got a chance to act on them. The plot lines were new and interesting. Same for the baddies. Watching the show I genuinely felt like I had no idea where the show might go. Perhaps they would eventually set up a proper off world base, promote O'Neill, kill a major character, or give Earth a real reason to be afraid of the goauld (eg, a successful attack on earth). Even if none of that happened, it didn't really matter, because the episodes were so interesting. There was a sense of awe about the worlds they were going to, characters were passionate about what they did, etc.

Now however, the whole thing is so tired. Pretty much any interesting baddie they've introduced in SG1 has been completely ruined, Star Trek stylee. Replicators. Apophis. Heru'er. Sokar. Yu (he's insane? what the ****?). Even Anubis, who I never found particularily scary due to the easy dispatch of all his predecessors, has been turned into a cuddly toy. SG1 dispatch him easily at every turn now. But wait! Anubis has a huge army of super soldiers! So? SG1 will dispatch them in a few episodes. Just like they dispatched the 2 motherships in season 1, Sokar in season 3, Heru'er and Cronos in season 4, Apophis' mega fleet and then Apophis at the start of 5, the replicators in 6, and Nubys big ship at the beginning of 7. It's very predictable at this stage, every time they gain a victory, a worse threat comes along, and then they defeat that. Kinda ruins the suspense.

The character dynamics are, you guessed it, tired. They've reopened the Sam/Jack LUUURVE box that they closed in season 5. Daniel is back and its like he never left. None of them really seem to give a shit that they are doing 'things more amazing than anyone could ever imagine'. Jack, one of the primary strengths of the show, is often missing.

Now despite the negativity, i still like SG1. It's far better than any other scifi show on TV right now, but that's not exactly hard. It seems to me that the makers of the show are too afraid to really take any risks that they are happy just to make the same kind of stuff over and over again. It's disappointing to see it not living up to its potential, and as a result gradually dropping off in quality.

// end rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

i have to say that i totally agree with you, likewise i too am a big sg1 fan but lately the episodes have been lacking something bar 1 or 2 episodes recently, what i'd like to see would be something with a little freshness and unpredictablity as you said.

any episodes that Mayburn appeared in were always a good laugh between himself and jack but they usually had a good storyline too. all those black op's episodes with the second stargate and all the gov coverups were kewl pity they can't really do much along those lines anymore :-\

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Also agreeing! I still enjoy it but now I'm tuning in because I always have, rather than with that excited feeling. Gone are the times when "Forever in a Day" or its like would leave me breathless.
    I also feel that Anubis presents no threat for the reasons stated. I mean wasn't Sokar meant to be the big bad Darth Maul of all motherfu*kers? Yet look at him - dead. So should we fear Anubis purely based on his Ancient's heritage? 'Coz it ain't working.
    Thankfully the Replicators storyline seems wrapped up - it was dead. I think the second Stargate storyline is finished now too for good [given it's the only gate!]
    We might have more time travel storylines but 1969/2001/2010 seems to have given it all closure.
    So where IS there to go from here? I assume we'll find out more about the Ancients and what happened to them, and the lost city - leading into the spin-off "Stargate: Atlantis" series. What for our guys currently? I mean Sam should have closure on the Jack issue. Jack has no issues really that need closing ('cept - at a push - his baby in "100 Days"). Daniel has seemingly resolved his ascendant issues (maybe), and certainly dealt with his former beaus turning into Goa'uld. Only Teal'c really has storylines left, in Ryac, Bra'tac, and freeing the last of the Jaffa.
    Still I will watch it all until the end, I will still enjoy it - and it doesn't leave me in a hissing angry fit like the way X-Files became complete crud in the last few years. I think it's just that the magic is now gone...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by ixoy
    Daniel has seemingly resolved his ascendant issues (maybe), and certainly dealt with his former beaus turning into Goa'uld. Only Teal'c really has storylines left, in Ryac, Bra'tac, and freeing the last of the Jaffa.
    Actually, they never dealt with Osiris. He/she just disappeared from the show :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Have to agree that it seems to be going downhill at the moment. :(

Osiris is back soon enough;
    715_20.jpg
    715_31.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

All stargate seasions to me where great.....i mean what do you expect they dont have the budget of star trek (and god knows its FAR better than star trek enterprise) i think their doing great 7th year still as stong as ever special effects getting better all the time......rateings in america as strong as ever a new seasion and spin off comeing

what do you people want! :p

try being a star trek fan and watching the first 2 years of enterprise then you know true pain :ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I know that pain :) I'd much prefer an 8th season of Voyager (or even a mini-series to wrap up what becomes of everyone back in the Alpha Quadrant) rather than another 5 seasons of that crap.

Star Gate SG-1 is great, but it seems to be winding down. Fine if this is the last season, but if they're looking for a few more seasons, then they need to bring in new threads like mentioned above, expanding the premise of the show,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

This is the second last year of sg1 m8

so they are more than likely winding down + remember some of the people that produced the show from dayone are now working on the spin off (out this year!) so maybe thats why the storys can sometimes be a bit flat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

I agree that's missing something but i hope it's just a temporary problem with the series. I love it to bits but i fear it's losing new viewers since the plots are so complicated, maybe tying up all the loose ends just means it wants to appeal to a wider audience, at least i hope so...i dont want it to end:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hey, Jonas is back.

maybe an upturn in the series.

personally i think its been ok so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Just as a point I would like to say that i knew osaris was comming back which is brilent.

but it is a spoiler and some people would not like that i would recemend that unless the topic says spoilers you shouldent post them

The Next 8 SG1 epsiodes are going to be very good i looked ahead but didnt read the last episode. We have
    1 2 parter and
    1 3 parter comming up

Cant wait till tomorrow nites episode

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dictatorcat
    I agree that's missing something but i hope it's just a temporary problem with the series. I love it to bits but i fear it's losing new viewers since the plots are so complicated, maybe tying up all the loose ends just means it wants to appeal to a wider audience, at least i hope so...i dont want it to end:(

Wow wow wow sloe down there.
    It wont End.

Season 8 and the Sg1 spin off have been confirmed
    The Sg1 movie will comence filliming shortly after Season 8 ends

We have sg1 to keep us going for well over 1 year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

We have sg1 to keep us going for well over 1 year

Yay:D My week suddenly seems so much brighter!

Well my week went to **** about 30 min ago my cat took a **** on my remote in the middle of the night (i shouldent have left the remote on the floor)

That means i have to get up off the couch to edit out the adds on SG1 when i reccord it 2nite

Its going to be a good episode so if u like recording good episodes reccord 2nites episode.
    Oh- and the Armbands epsidoe is on Fri at 6.00 on sky

Advertisement