Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless alternatives to Eircom Broadband

• 09-01-2004 2:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

Currently I can't get Eircom/IOLBB etc as I live too far from the exchange (4 miles, I was informed by eircom rep that the limit is 4kM.) I've seen that Irishbroadband supply a wireless solution....Only problem is I don't live in Dublin and it's a fairly remote area. I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend any similar services which I could avail of...(North Kildare area).
    Thanks again for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Other than ringing up the various wireless compaies i can't tell you whether you're covered or not, but if all else fails, and all you will need the broadband for is downloading and browsing (NOT gaming) try digiweb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

shinobi,
    Go to http://www.irishwan.org and see about getting connected on a local WAN.
    I am in the same situation here in South Co. Galway

those bstards with their wirelessnessness, it could be people connected to this that are causing my interference (i'm assuming this as i know there are a few of them within 1km of me). Grrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

2.4GHz is an open band - anyone can use it for what they want and everyone has to accept interference on it. Noise has increased a good bit in parts of Dublin since IBB arrived - the sooner commercial wisps move to licensed frequencies, the better it will be for everyone. I beleive IBB use 5.8 for business customers, but as with 2.4, this is an open band and while there is registration, it doesnt protect anyone from interference - at the moment the only reason it's working well is because there is far less takeup of 5.8GHz equipment by members of the public than 2.4, though give it a few years...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    those bstards with their wirelessnessness, it could be people connected to this that are causing my interference (i'm assuming this as i know there are a few of them within 1km of me). Grrrr
    Yeah, them. People with radio telephones, baby monitors, microwaves etc all are on the same range, but i'm sure it's the one guy with the directional antenna aimed at a specifc point (most likely not you) who is causing it. :D

• Advertisement

"but i'm sure it's the one guy with the directional antenna aimed at a specifc point "

OR its the guy with the omnidirectional antenne who lives less than 1k away as the crow flies.

Either way, i didn't used to have the interference, and now when i check the irishwan site i see theres a guy with an omni where there wasn;t one before... so i put 2+2 together, and with a leap of faith, and a quick guess, got 5.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

First if there is an Omni 1Km away you could connect to it instead of lining IBB's pockets.

Second in the ETSI region you can have 4 totally separate (non-ovelapping) channels simultaneously - so unlikely to be WiFi noise.

Third even if they were using the same channels Wi-Fi frequency hops within part of the band - so not every packet would be affected - it' a bit like contention - and again it would only be a problem if the signals were nearly the same strength.

Fourth a directional Aerial would have a gain in the desired direction 100's of times greater than in other directions (note: you do get strong pickup at 60 degrees off axis with many types of antenna) so simple orientation should reduce the noise problem unless they are on the same path.

Fifth there is a temptation amongst some private 2.4GHz users to go over the 100mW EIRP limits since some commercial providers use unmodified equipment that is set to US limits (up to 40 times our EIRP)

Microwaves are allowed to leak up to 1W
    DECT phones

are you anywhere near an MMDS transmitter - as they use an adjacent band..

Advertisement