Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craziest Gaming Rumours?

Options
  • 09-01-2004 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

The other day, someone told me Shigeru Miyamato had died, completely out of the blue. This person is generally an idiot, so I paid it no heed but it got me thinking. Has anyone else ever heard seriously silly gaming rumours, first hand or otherwise?

As rumours go, deaths are fairly bland but I thought this one was particularly interesting as it's (to the best of my knowledge) the first proper rumour I've heard about a person who works in games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I remember the whole Sonic coming to Nintendo thing back in '93....

..wait

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

That continued with super smash bros melee When DC went under and sega announced some games for GC a rumour started that Yugi Naka went into the SSB melee development team and added Sonic as a secret character. The hype my friend had for it was quickly popped by the no show of the blue dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

The Phantom console. Still no sign of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

The Amiga becoming dominant over Apple Macs and PCs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

that the atari jaguar was actually a good console :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Returning the favour...

Infinium Labs has announced that it is finally unveiling its vapourware console The Phantom at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas tomorrow, (hopefully) putting an end to months of speculation that the PC-based games machine was one of the most elaborate hoaxes of all time.

The console will be publicly unveiled at the Windows Embedded Device Showcase stand, along with a demo session. Little more than that has been revealed at this stage.

Infinium CEO Timothy Roberts said he was "very excited" to be showing the 'Phantom Gaming Service' (as he called it).

(Again, all thanks to eurogamer.net)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Duke Nukem 4evah should be going gold sometime before crimbo 2004... riiiiight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Pretty much anything to do with Half-Life 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Team Fortress 2! Now there's the game that time forgot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Microsoft offering to buy out Nintendo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

The Megaton announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by Thorbar
    The Megaton announcement.

erm.... that wasnt a rumor it was the gba sp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

There was around 8 months of every Nintendo fanboi around spreading nothing but rumours.

"omfg will capcom and nintendo merge??@!!?11!"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    The Phantom console. Still no sign of it.

err... it has been unveiled...

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=new&aid=2786

Spong.com is good for a rumour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Half life 2 will be released on the 30th of september

^^ that kinda reminded me of the comical ali's press speech

" the americans are being slaughtered and have not reached baghdad"

and u clearly see american soldiers in the backround

yeh and duke nukem and TF2.

giving up hope on duke nukem bout 4 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Medal of Honor: Rising sun considered a good game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

That microsoft were gonna release a console!!! Can you believe that!! Like they know anything about games!! *LoL* Oh no...wait..

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    Medal of Honor: Rising sun considered a good game
    i still get pangs of guilt for not warning my mates that it'd be another soulless cash in from ea:(
    what a crap crimbo pressie that must've made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by DMT
    The Amiga becoming dominant over Apple Macs and PCs...

It would have, too, except for silly management...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Originally posted by monument
    err... it has been unveiled...

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=new&aid=2786
    Infinium Labs' proposed console, the Phantom, has made a showing at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas as announced by the company earlier this week, but only in the form of a box which was not switched on.

The Florida-based start-up showed off a Phantom console on the Windows Embedded Device showcase stand at the event, but although the system sported a full array of connectors on the backplate, it was not powered up or demonstrated in any way.

In terms of physical design, the box is almost exactly the same as the previously seen concept art and renders, and its size belies the standard PC components from which it is built.

However, the fact that Infinium Labs did not properly demonstrate the console working is likely to add fuel to speculation that the entire project is some form of elaborate hoax or scam - even though this seems increasingly unlikely.

The presence of the Phantom on the Windows Embedded Device stand, if nothing else, proves that if Infinium Labs is a hoax, it is a hoax which has taken in Microsoft along with several other key companies in the industry.

Hoax or not, however, such a lacklustre and content free unveiling for the machine on its first public outing is unlikely to boost confidence in the device, which promises a "new way to deliver content" for the games industry, ever actually making it to the market.

Yea, that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence I have to say. I don't think i'm the only one who'd piss him/herself laughting if microsoft did turn out to be doped by Infinium labs troll.

Guess we'll find out in a few months if its real or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    Yea, that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence I have to say. I don't think i'm the only one who'd piss him/herself laughting if microsoft did turn out to be doped by Infinium labs troll.

Guess we'll find out in a few months if its real or not.

Well just don't keep your fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Deadwing
    That microsoft were gonna release a console!!! Can you believe that!! Like they know anything about games!! *LoL* Oh no...wait..

They don't.
    They have, however, bought companies and people that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

"Windows 95 will be a better games platform than MS-DOS"

surely not!

I didn't believe it at the time anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

i remember john romero going on about quake 1 b4 it was released:

he was saying things like you'll be able get your enemy, pull off his head and throw it while he dies or some such ****e.

Also, all the **** on his wonderful project, Daikatana. What a mess that turned into.

Originally posted by dangerman
    i remember john romero going on about quake 1 b4 it was released:

he was saying things like you'll be able get your enemy, pull off his head and throw it while he dies or some such ****e.
    he could have been talking about the way their heads went flying if you gibbed 'em:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

More recently, that PES3 was moving to the Xbox with online play. It turned out to be crap, but seemingly as a result, Konami are developing a PES close with online play for the Xbox due out at Christmas 2004. Whether this is another ongoing rumour remains to be seen.

Advertisement