Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So stupid I almost fell over

Options
  • 09-01-2004 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

In the car park in work today I noticed one of my fellow employees had a sign in the back window of her Seicento which read:

Caution!!!

Brake Lights Not Working!

in letters so small you'd actually have to get right up behind it to read :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,363 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

OMG

You should warn her - you'll never forgive yourself if someone crashed into her. Mind she would be a good candidate for the Darwin awards if it came to this :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Warn her of what? "You're incredibly stupid and you're driving a car as sturdy as a tinfoil ball"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

She probably thinks she has to go to a garage to get them repaired!

I was limping along to work in traffic and the 89' suzuki in front of me had no brake lights (the fog light was though, and probably has been since the car was bought!)
    So I got out of the car knocked on her window and told her.

You'd swear I'd asked her if I could fondle her breasts to pass the time.

I always do tell them if i can though, people just don't seem to realize that bulbs blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

gotta love those little fiat drivers. Especially (if you'll forgive my moment of sexism), those female little fiat drivers. The phrase "King of the road" is applicable.

No doubt your friend with the "brake lights arent working" sign in her back window will have an accident sometime before she decides it's a good idea to fix them. It's the only way some people can learn these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Doctor J

Caution!!!

Brake Lights Not Working!

[/B]

And undoubtably no idea on how to hand signal slowing down :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I reckon even if she did know hand signals for slowing down, it would only serve to confuse all the other morons around her who won't have a clue why she's flapping her arms about, and ram her in the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

seen a car with white brake lights the other day in town,one of these max powered glued on parts civics,surely thats illegal?i would have sh1t meself if i was driving behind them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Originally posted by gucci
    seen a car with white brake lights the other day in town,one of these max powered glued on parts civics,surely thats illegal?i would have sh1t meself if i was driving behind them

I've seen plenty of mopeds like that also and plenty of idiots in cars with their brake lights permanently on. The bulbs are red , like the amber ones alot of us use for indicators. Thing is these bulbs are not available to buy in Ireland ! and the paint wears off them alot quicker than ambers, particularly dual filament bulbs which are in use when the lights are on.

Anyone notice the amount of megane's that seem to brake - but their indicator comes on instead ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Doctor J, please get a photo of this. That is brilliant.

Ondafly, I can't remember if I read it here or elsewhere that the Peugeot 206 has a known fault with dodgy wiring to the brake lights and that they have a tendency to remain lit. I've seen several 206es like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by gucci

I think they're called 'Lexus lights' after the Lexus IS200 which had them first.

Was this particular Civic dark blue with a white flame design down the side?
    Its white plastic glass with red bulbs, my mate has them and they weren't a problem for the NCT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

yeah I think he means lexus lights. I've only ever seen white brake lights on mopeds

OK, here we go (those bright things are the reflectors BTW - the lights don't work apparently)

...and yes, I realise it's actually a Cinquecento - my bad :p
    caution1.jpg
    caution2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

fookin brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Jebus, only a woman could be that dim! :p

If you don't like her you could always call the cops on her, you might regret if she was unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

post those pics in the humour board :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

OMG, up to the pics I thought the Fiat driver was just someone with a sense of humour and one of those bumper stickers (you can't read the notice 'till it's too late).

She should be reported for wreckless driving if the brakes in fact do not work. The car is not in a fit state to be on the roads.

Once, on a Dublin Bus single decker - whenever the indicator was on (bip, bip) and the doors were opened, the row of lights on the door side of the bus would blink on/off/on/off to the bips!

It is what it's.

We'll see if the car looks the same on Monday... it's getting dark over here...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Originally posted by lafortezza
    I think they're called 'Lexus lights' after the Lexus IS200 which had them first.

Was this particular Civic dark blue with a white flame design down the side?
    Its white plastic glass with red bulbs, my mate has them and they weren't a problem for the NCT.

no no i do know what lexus lights are,they are alot more stylish than the ones on this car,they had NO red glass and when he braked the lights were white,didnt see what colour his indicators were.
    It was a red honda civis,sorry.

i know a friend of mine who got a ticking off my member of the gardai for haveing "Lexus" ligits because the indicators shone up red,which he was informed was illegal,as he had ordered them from internet he was actually able to send them back!!he got them somewhere in canada or someplace

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

whilst irrisponsible of her to be driving with no brake lights, it is up to the driver behind to keep a safe distance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

How inconsiderate! She could've at least installed a lamp so people could see it in the dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The funny - or tragic* - thing is that if she has an accident as a result of having no brake lights someone will probably throw the book at her because she knew damn well that they weren't working. As kbannon said, it's up to people to keep a safe distance but it's going to be taken into consideration if something does happen (especially as she'll say something along the lines of "B-b-b-ut the sign. See the sign?" to the cops)

* or tragically funny - you know like when a clown dies... after being shot out of a cannon and hitting his head on the circus roof

I would suspect that little liability would be placed on her shoulders as the driver behind should (as I have mentioned) keep a safe distance. This includes emergency stopping for whatever reason. Safe driving should not be dependant on the car in front doing the right thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by ondafly
    Anyone notice the amount of megane's that seem to brake - but their indicator comes on instead ?
    I understand this is deliberate, better that something comes on than nothing.
    Originally posted by kbannon
    whilst irrisponsible of her to be driving with no brake lights, it is up to the driver behind to keep a safe distance!
    Thats like blaming a rape victim for walking home at night. Brake lights make it a lot more obvious that a car is braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I would suspect that little liability would be placed on her shoulders as the driver behind should (as I have mentioned) keep a safe distance.

I agree. It's up to the driver behind to be able to stop in the distance he can see to be clear. And people are FAR too dependant on other people's brake lights. I think it's because a lot of drivers just focus on the car directly in front of them with a kind of tunnel vision. The result is they have less awareness of what's happening around them and in turn fail to anticipate when the car in front will stop/slow down.

Obviously though, putting up the sign is unbelievably stupid. It's quite possibly the most stupid thing I've ever seen! It's cringeworthy. It makes Baby On Board signs seem intelligent. And now the pics of her stupid sign are up on the internet for millions of people around the world to see and think "what a f*cking idiot" I can see those pics turning up in joke emails about women drivers - similar to the emails with pics of a woman driving a BMW 7 series with a petrol pump nozzle attached :D

BrianD3

Originally posted by Victor
    Thats like blaming a rape victim for walking home at night. Brake lights make it a lot more obvious that a car is braking.
    I don't disagree with you that brake lights help alert others that you are braking but this does not excuse the fact that the driver behind should be far enough back so that they can stop safely if the car in front stops suddenly (having no brake lights may give the impression that the car stopped suddenly).
    By your reasoning, then it is alright for someone to crash into you as long as they can say that you had no brake lights!

I'd just like to POINTS out something that I don't think anyone else has POINTSed out yet. The POINTS is that. Oh wait, I've forgotten what it was...

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How many penalty points or what fines are there for this ?

There is this theory that girls don't play as rough as boys when young and don't have as clear a concept of cause and effect when it comes to things that cause physical pain. Some would believe this is why young women drive very fast and do other stuff that boy racers would blanche at and other filpant behaviour in dangerous situations.

What gets me is that they put others at risk by doing these things - it's funny until domeone gets killed..

/RANT

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    How many penalty points or what fines are there for this ?
    A mandatory court appearance and 3 points on conviction for "Driving Vehicle before remedying dangerous defects". She's done for :)

From here

It is what it's.

Originally posted by oneweb
    A mandatory court appearance and 3 points on conviction for "Driving Vehicle before remedying dangerous defects". She's done for :)

From here
    driving a defective vehicle is not yet a penalty points issue.
    www.penaltypoints.ie

• Advertisement

I stand corrected. The sooner implemented, the better :)

It is what it's.

Advertisement