Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win98 Question

Options
  • 09-01-2004 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

Ok, it's been a while since I worked on this baby :)

What's the max h/d this can handle? I cant remember off the top of head... there's a 20gig one in it atm and I've been told to stick on another 120gig one, will it handle it?

DVD writer - I just really hope this piece of **** can take one these!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

The max that a Win 98 machine can handle is around a 30Gb HD.

You'll need to partition your 120Gb disk in to smaller partitions for FAT32 to work with it.

DVD-RW should be OK depending on the drivers/apps that come with it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

M$ keep saying FAT32 will do up to 2TB :)
    But all the OS's so far will only setup a partition of up to 32GB :(

You can have more than one partition on a HDD
    If you are still running 98 then your PC is older so you might have problems with the BIOS seeing certain size drivers remember the older limits of 512MB and LBA limit of 8.4GB - your HDD will be over the 60 or 80GB limit - can't remember which you hit next.

Ref's re 2TB in theory / 32GB in practice.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;154997
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/choosing_between_NTFS_FAT_and_FAT32.asp

Note: the NTFSDOS utility will allow you to read NTFS partitions > 32GB on a dual boot system - there is a utility to write to NTFS in win98 - but not so stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

excellent thanks .... so if i can partition the 120 gig hd into for 30 gig drives, it'll read it fine?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If your BIOS can see the drive - if the HW don't see the HDD then the OS is snookered. - just depends on how old the machine/BIOS is.

A 533MHz AMD at home (can't remember which m/b it has) would not see a 120GB HDD till I flashed the BIOS. And then it kept crashing unless I disabled the cache - really weird - so I flashed it down again and the cache works again (but still limited in size of drives it sees)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

ah poopie ... i think it's a pc from gateway, back in 98 possibly

• Advertisement
Advertisement