Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote for Bush 2004!

Options
  • 09-01-2004 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

yup thats what we will be hearing when the American election will be held, just on some American boards about the Republicans and Democrats and debates are quiet passionate and down right violent sometimes! Just wondering if you were there how would you vote? Would you vote for Bush and why? Or any of the other Candidates and why?
    Personally (even though im not American) id be more in the Democrat camp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

*Tumbleweed*

Seriously, why in gods name would someone vote him in again?

Only reason I can think of is if the person running against them is an even bigger f'up. Not going to happen until Bush learns to breed with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Hobbes :Not going to happen until Bush learns to breed with himself.

:D Classic

how much of the vote do you think he will get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Bush should be overthrown!
    I will vote for Nader unless it seems that it will be wasted and then probably Kucinich or Dean (although some of Deans anti-establishment talk is cynical). Nader and Kucinich having the most intergrity IMHO.
    Clark is a war criminal and Lieberman is a smarter version of Bush (soundbite of him blaming Marilyn Manson for Columbine comes to mind here).
    But my paranoid mind thinks the fix is in already with the Diebold machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Camille

Must admit, don't know much about other candidates, but how any thinking person could vote for Bush....Bring back Clinton, I say. (not sure about Hilary though.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Like Michael Moore, I can't understand why the Democrats haven't driven for his impeachment. All Clinton did was lie that he didn't shag some bird, Bush lied about the reasons for going to war. If it was the other way around, the Republicans would've had the President ripped out of the Whitehouse long ago.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I wasn't so sure until they Got Him, but I'm hoping the resistance to Bush grows. Not entirely happy with Dean and the Democrats are almost as bad as the Republicans at this stage, but anything's better than Bush. Well, better than the puppeteers with their hands up his butt anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Originally posted by magick
    yup thats what we will be hearing when the American election will be held, just on some American boards about the Republicans and Democrats and debates are quiet passionate and down right violent sometimes! Just wondering if you were there how would you vote? Would you vote for Bush and why? Or any of the other Candidates and why?
    Personally (even though im not American) id be more in the Democrat camp.
    I'd vote for Bush because of his human rights activism.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Another vote for Bush, if only out of supporting the shorter guy who bucked the historical trends by (nearly) beating Gore whos' 6ft+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

Hrm, Bush is a bit of an idiot but when it comes to foreign policy he's got the balls and a lot of americans love him for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by kano476
    Hrm, Bush is a bit of an idiot but when it comes to foreign policy he's got the balls and a lot of americans love him for it.

This one don't!
    And then there alot who are indifferent and do not realize how destructive "his" policies are.
    To say he has balls would imply that he really makes decisions. To then say that his puppet masters have balls would ignore the fact that their foreign policies actually work to enhance their business prospects and their idealogical fundamentalism. Balls? No!

Originally posted by kano476

You mean the balls like saying "Ooh sure China you can have Taiwan if you want, shut up Taiwan" Of course I'm sure this news story that very few picked up on that was released the same time Bush was chatting to the Chinese government had nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I'd probably vote for Bush. his domestic policies have been a bit iffy but I agree in general with his foregin policy. The thawing of relations with countries like Libya I think is a direct result of the Iraqi war.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Seriously, why in gods name would someone vote him in again?

Youre looking at it from your perspective. As the corinthian will remind you, you dont have a vote :dunno:

I found this .... from an apparently neutral, non-partisan yada yada yada poll site. Granted, as Ive argued before polls dont tell you much that is concrete and the numbers will be much closer when the actual vote takes place but Bush seems fairly comftable against *all* the potential democrat candidates.

Theres also a sets of polls by gallup from december 2003 that tell pretty much the same story

Bush will be able to talk about turning the economy around from the sinking ship he inherited, about his strong leadership in the face of 9/11 ( imagine the pictures of Bush giving his speech to the cheering rescue workers at Ground Zero etc etc ), about the successful invasion of Afghanistan and the rooting out of the Taliban, about liberating Iraq and capturing public enemy #1 Saddam and about hes the only one with the balls to take on the real threat of international terrorism; that the democrats want to give in and surrender etc etc. I know that anyone who dislikes Bush does so because they consider all of the above to be untrue and plain wrong but thats how its going to be presented by the Republican election machine. The Democrats will try to present the exact opposite - but thats why people will vote for Bush and seem to favour him at the current time.
    Like Michael Moore, I can't understand why the Democrats haven't driven for his impeachment. All Clinton did was lie that he didn't shag some bird, Bush lied about the reasons for going to war. If it was the other way around, the Republicans would've had the President ripped out of the Whitehouse long ago.

I guess it was easier to prove Clinton lied - rather than just being mistaken. With Bush youd have to prove that he deliberately lied, and wasnt merely misinformed or mistaken. You might consider Bushes evidence and justification to be a load of crap but youd also have to prove that a man youd happily describe as stupid and easily led thought it was a load of crap too and wasnt just manipulated by Cheney or Rumsfeld.

Well just have to wait and see what sort of President will be elected - Dean will still be committed to Iraq and Afghanistan, hopefully even moreso, as bailing out wont help the situation. Things wont go back to "the way they were" no matter who is elected.

The Republicans will hopefully love to see Nader run, he isnt going to take Republican votes anyway.

Originally posted by vorbis
    The thawing of relations with countries like Libya I think is a direct result of the Iraqi war.

Actually that was going on long before Bush said they were going into Iraq.
    Youre looking at it from your perspective. As the corinthian will remind you, you dont have a vote

*shrug* They asked why would you vote for him. I have yet to see anything that he is worth voting back in for.

He didn't inherit a sinking ship. Or if it was sinking he would be more like the person drilling holes in the hull of the ship (probably to let the water out by his logic).

- Over 3.3 Million jobs gone, a large amount of which are never coming back to the US.
    - Lied about Iraq and has even admitted it.
    - Biggest deficit in the history of the US (and started with the smallest in US history).
    - Enron, Hallibut, et al scandals.
    - Cut Education spending.
    - Cut Social security
    - Cut Veterns pensions and wages of the soliders serving in Iraq.
    - Removed a sh!tload of basic human rights.
    - Implemented laws which protects him from impeachment.
    - Made the world more unstable.
    - Alienated most of the world against the US.
    - Tax cuts for his rich buddies.

The list goes on, and that isn't even taking into the account the suspect way he won the election to begin with, and I'm not talking about hanging chads. I am talking about documented incidents of people being blocked from voting, the flaky electronic voting machines (that gave Bob Dole -16,000 votes and was only picked up in an audit), or all the people not allowed to vote due to a mistake by a company from Bushes home state that handles the voter register (3 guesses who they paid to win).

Seriously, if even half the crap pulled by that muppet happened in another country everyone in the US would be going 'wtf? Is that guy on crack?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

It'll be interesting to see how far Bush et al go in trying to focus attention on his foreign adventures (while ignoring the whole "told a pack of lies" aspet) and deflecting it from the economy, which is his weak point. A look at Bush's approval ratings shows that his support has generally hovered at around only 50%, with a massive short-term boost whenever America either gets attacked or stomps some Arab country.

Anyone with a minimum of sense can see that his fiscal policy is completely insane and that the tax cuts overwhelmingly favoured the very rich. The Bushies will simply continue to refuse to acknowledge these as issues. They could claim that the economy is growing, which it is, but they'll have a hard time claiming that the economy is adding jobs, which it isn't. In fact, while the unemployment rate has been holding fairly steady, the number of potentially active people without jobs is much higher, since so many of them are leaving the economy, possibly because so many of them are sick of being long-term unemployed.

We're unlikely to see the Bushies get into those kind of subtleties. I can imagine their campaign consisting entirely of brief, small-word slogans: Let's Roll. Mission Accomplished. God bless the USA. Thank you and goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Redleslie

Churchill got slung out of office in 1945 even though he'd just defeated Germany, whose military capability was nearly as dangerous and evil as Iraq's or the Taliban's. A gallup poll showed that the capture of Saddam would only cause 3% of those polled to vote Bush. Everyone else said they'd made their minds up and it would make no difference to how they intend to vote - seems to be about 50/50 at the moment.

Former treasury secretary Paul O'Neill describes Bush as "a blind man in a room full of deaf people." http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1023195.htm

"Mr O'Neill, who was sacked by Mr Bush in December 2002, told CBS television the President did not ask him a single question during their first one-on-one meeting, which lasted an hour."

What a leader.

Originally posted by Redleslie
    Churchill got slung out of office in 1945 even though he'd just defeated Germany, whose military capability was nearly as dangerous and evil as Iraq's or the Taliban's.

You mean actually or relatively? Because there is no way in hell Current day Iraq or the Taliban had the power Germany had at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Redleslie

Little bit of irony there Hobbes. Idiots were fond of claiming that Saddam was the new Hitler. My point is that Churchill, whatever else can be said about him, led his country from the brink of total defeat to eventual victory. You'd nearly expect that he'd get rewarded with a 2nd term easily, but it didn't happen. So why should Bush's military successes against such puny opposition as Iraq and the Taliban guarantee him the election and convince voters to ignore the appalling state of the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Originally posted by Redleslie
    So why should Bush's military successes against such puny opposition as Iraq and the Taliban guarantee him the election and convince voters to ignore the appalling state of the economy.

The US in 2003 is so different from Britain in 1945 that a comparison is completely pointless. Listen, just look at the trend of Bush's approval ratings. After Sept 11 - up they go. War in Afghanistan - up they go. War in Iraq - up they go. Saddam captured - up they go, but as you say, not actually that high. War is good for Bush.

Nobody said his war record would 'guarantee' him victory. But he will play it up as much as he possibly can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

Out and busy for a long time, but I'm back.

To me, it is quite clear that the evidence is overwhelmingly against Bush. He deliberately misled the public into believing that the US had information detailing WMD in Iraq, at best, on the suspicion that they would be found once troops were in the country, or at worst, with indifference to the knowledge that they would not be found. In either case, the very pretext used to launch the war has so far been proven to be a total sham, one which will cost the US dearly in the future in terms of military readiness (see troops still in Bosnia, Korea, etc..), economic recovery (see skyrocketing debt due to tax cuts combined with overspending coupled with what will end up being 100 billion + dollars in Iraq alone), and international credibilty (see WMD references above).

Bush has irreparably damaged the short term prospects for the US, and as a citizen of the US, I will most certainly vote democratic in the next election, except in the very unlikely event that the nominee is Hillary Clinton, in which case I will vote independent. I will probably volunteer in the campaign of whomever is the nominee as well.

Boar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

To be honest, it is a nonesense to think that 'political party(x)' will make any significant change to most industrial countries around the world, where it is frequently the middle ground of politics that wins elections 'either way'.

So, assuming that given the same set of circumstances (the New York bombings etc) a democratic President would have invaded Afghanistan and most likely invaded Iraq (but probably with French support), I think the only 'real' difference between Democrats and Republicans, is that Democrats generally seem to be better for the American economy then Republicans, ergo, it's in my economic self-interests to see Democrats in the White House.

In this light I'd vote Democrat, but, I wouldn't be under the ascenine illusion that a Democrat President would do anything more then sound-byte political platitudes to redress things like the Mid-East conflict, global warming and a whole range of issues, by virtue of the fact that the powerfull right-wing lobby groups (like oil companies or pro-Zionist lobby groups) don't suddenly just disappear when a Democrat gets into office.

This is reality, but, a Democratic reality brings less fear of the USA involved in a war, which leads to increased consumer spending and since the Democrats generally spend less on militaria then Republicans, it also means that there is generally more liquidity in the American Federal budget.

Perhaps that sounds cynical, but, as I've said, I don't honestly believe political parites are anything other then a show, put on to keep people entertained, where the real decisions get made by a powerful group of people 'across the political divide' and lobby groups in most, if not all countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

I too have my opwn gripes about the party system in the US (not qualified to speak to it in other countries as I don't vote in any other elections). However, my reason for voting democrat is not because I am a democrat, it is because I want to vote for the person who has the best chace of beating Bush in the election. So I am not so much voting for Dean/Clark/Kerry as I am voting against Bush. In previous elections, I have always voted independentas a protest against both parties. But the stakes this time are too high; I must vote for getting Bush out first and foremost, and I will encourage others to do the same.

And while I also believe that a democrat (Gore) would have invaded Afghanistan (which I supported), I do not believe he would have gone against all wishes of the international community to launch a war that does nothing but detract from the "war on terror". This is especially true if the motivation for fighting the war was based on fabricated "evidence".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by BattleBoar
    And while I also believe that a democrat (Gore) would have invaded Afghanistan (which I supported), I do not believe he would have gone against all wishes of the international community to launch a war that does nothing but detract from the "war on terror". This is especially true if the motivation for fighting the war was based on fabricated "evidence".

Perhaps not, but, in the hypothetical post-September-11th scenario, a Gore administration would have to have a much more aggressive foreign policy.

You probably are right that a so-called pre-emptive strike against Iraq would not have happened, but, I do think that it is highly likely that increased military spending and the willingness to get involved in armed conflict (somewhere) would be quite high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

Originally posted by Camille
    Must admit, don't know much about other candidates, but how any thinking person could vote for Bush....Bring back Clinton, I say. (not sure about Hilary though.)

Clinton was a filthy bastard who did worse things than bush! Clinton was as bad as any republican, there was nothing liberal or democrat about him. Fúck Clinton, Fúck Bush. The only thing about Clinton was that he was slick, nobody but a few knew what he was up to and he inspired ppl and had a charming personality. He was just as bad/evil

Originally posted by BattleBoar
    Out and busy for a long time, but I'm back.

To me, it is quite clear that the evidence is overwhelmingly against Bush. He deliberately misled the public into believing that the US had information detailing WMD in Iraq, at best, on the suspicion that they would be found once troops were in the country, or at worst, with indifference to the knowledge that they would not be found. In either case, the very pretext used to launch the war has so far been proven to be a total sham, one which will cost the US dearly in the future in terms of military readiness (see troops still in Bosnia, Korea, etc..), economic recovery (see skyrocketing debt due to tax cuts combined with overspending coupled with what will end up being 100 billion + dollars in Iraq alone), and international credibilty (see WMD references above).

Boar

So what? All the average US citizen knows is what the mainstream media tell them, which is mainly republican.

What they will "know" is that Bush toppled Usama in afganistan, he changed his name to Osama so they couldnt track him thats why we need to keep all those witnesses in GUITMO for interigation. Somebody might mention the Taliban and draw the link that is the Taliban had another e and n they would become the next Bin Laden but thats unlikely. Republicans dont care about the Taliban because they are shouvinistic religous fundamentalists too.

Then Bush, joined by 40 allies ousted SadDam when the UN asked them to because they were afraid/useless. Then they'll be shown pics of SadDam and De Gaul shaking hands and see the misery of the Iraqis now and pics of SadDam the Terribles palaces.

The US ppl will know that they are at war. I expect the number of twarthed terrorist attacks will increas steadily comming up to the elections. Maybe they should be cancelled and Bush given emergency powers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Originally posted by Vader
    Clinton was a filthy bastard who did worse things than bush! Clinton was as bad as any republican, there was nothing liberal or democrat about him. Fúck Clinton, Fúck Bush. The only thing about Clinton was that he was slick, nobody but a few knew what he was up to and he inspired ppl and had a charming personality. He was just as bad/evil

Great, informative post. Right so, list all the terrible things that Clinton did. Things which matter ( so you can leave out Monica Lewinsky ).

Continued support for Suharto as "our kind of guy". Illegally shipping weapons and training officers to Indonesia after congress forbade it. Doing nothing to stop the genocide in East Timor. Sabbatoging the war crimes investigation into East Timor.

Yougoslavia. Thats a whole thread in itself but id simply be copying "A new generation draws the line" by Noam Chomsky so I recomand you simply read it. In short forget everything you think you know about the Balkins 1999. The US created the problem in the Balkins, supported both sides to heat it up, sabatoged peace talks and kept the UN out all to prve the efectivness of NATO. Sounds paranoid doesnt it. You should read the quotes then from German Generals and NATO generals who say just that.

Increased activity in Columbia. Again another piss long thread I could write but Ill just say FARC are the good guys and Clinton kept some very brutal and unpopular ppl in power.

Haiti while he eventually did the right thing it took him 2 years and even then he put conditions on restoring your man Jean-Bertrand Aristide to power.

Clinton was there in Somalia the greatest piece of propargand the world has ever seen. IMO the lads at Fox should have got an oscar.

All that shít he did for the WTO and in Latin america too. Yet it was an none of these things that he was caught with his pants down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Geromino

Originally posted by Hobbes
    You mean the balls like saying "Ooh sure China you can have Taiwan if you want, shut up Taiwan" Of course I'm sure this news story that very few picked up on that was released the same time Bush was chatting to the Chinese government had nothing to do with it.

Not quite! China maintains a one China, two systems doctrine with Taiwan, Macau, and Hong Kong having more economic freedoms while mainland China approaches but does not . Macau (a former Portuguese colony) and Hong Kong (a former British colony) are now part of that system. China wants the same with Taiwan. It all has to do with the Chinese psyche. Most Taiwanese want to reunite with China but only after some serious political reforms. You are starting to see some political reforms taking place. For example, you now have entrepreneurs part of the ruling council without any association to the communist party. You are also had President Hu's daughter marrying a entrepreneur named Moe (not much is known about him except he is the third richest Chinese) middle of last year. To put this in perspective, you are having a "princeling" marrying a capitalist. This is a major step in its cultural divergence.

So, what does this have to do with President's Bush's suggestion last year? President Bush is acknowledging that the US still recognizes the One China, Two Systems Doctrine (initially recognized by former President Clinton and followed by every other president). Currently, the two parties have a lot more discussions before any reconciliation would occur. It is also tied with the NK situation. Right now, Taiwan and Japan are going forward in developing anti-missle defense against NK (a loose cannon even by Chinese Standards). And the situation poses a direct threat to China for obtaining its One China, Two System doctrine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Vader, you forgot Rwanda, which was arguably Clinton's most heinous act.

And then there's PDD-25, which actually codified Clinton's post-somalia approach to peacekeeping - ie. not getting involved for fear of losing votes....
    A Presidential Decision Directive (PDD 25), signed by President Clinton on May 3, 1994, reflected the newly skeptical attitude. It stated that “peace operations are not and cannot be the centerpiece of U.S. foreign policy. When our interests dictate, the U.S. must be willing and able to fight and win wars, unilaterally whenever necessary.”

http://www.fpif.org/briefs/vol1/unpeace_body.html

Advertisement