Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price reduction

• 09-01-2004 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Glad to see Esat reduced the price of broadband(albeit as part of a phone package) to €40 incl vat. Hope the other will follow suit, competition rules.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Pataman
    Glad to see Esat reduced the price of broadband(albeit as part of a phone package) to €40 incl vat. Hope the other will follow suit, competition rules.:D
    I was under the impression that this €40 was only available if you signed up for EsatBT Advantage Plus (which costs €25 per month), but according to the IOL website you only have to sign up to EsatBT Advantage - it's effectively the same as UTV's CPS requirement, except it's €5 cheaper.

Of course, because of oreillycoms anti-competetive actions in blocking single-billing, you'll still get two separate bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

seems like the cheapest so far

Originally posted by Ripwave
    I was under the impression that this €40 was only available if you signed up for EsatBT Advantage Plus (which costs €25 per month), but according to the IOL website you only have to sign up to EsatBT Advantage - it's effectively the same as UTV's CPS requirement, except it's €5 cheaper.
    Oops - one of the conditions of EsatBT Advantage is that you You just need to spend a minimum of 25 (Incl. VAT) per month on calls to Local, National, International and Mobile numbers!

So your combined BB/phone bill will be a minimum of €65. If you don't make €25 worth of phone calls in a month, you IOLBB is going to cost you more than €40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

We'd do that in a week in my house, although I'd imagine it could be a problem for people living on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭huh!

You pay €25 a month which covers the cost of your local and national calls, your Broadband is €40 on top of that , the only extras are calls to international numbers or mobiles, and of course your line rental to Eircom.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by huh!
    You pay €25 a month which covers the cost of your local and national calls,
    That's EsatBT Advantage Plus. According to IOL, the Bundle is IOLBB + EsatBT Advantage (not Advantage Plus).

In other words, if you make €50 worth of local/national calls a month, it'll cost you €90 (€40 + €50). If it was Advantage Plus, it would cost you €65 (€40 + €25) because Advantage Plus provieds "all you can eat" local and national calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭huh!

Okay, there are 2 Broadband bundles available. They both involve a minimum per month cost of €65.

For anyone whose regular phonebill includes at least €20 of calls, it looks like IOL is currently offering the cheapest deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Originally posted by Ripwave
    That's EsatBT Advantage Plus. According to IOL, the Bundle is IOLBB + EsatBT Advantage (not Advantage Plus).

In other words, if you make €50 worth of local/national calls a month, it'll cost you €90 (€40 + €50). If it was Advantage Plus, it would cost you €65 (€40 + €25) because Advantage Plus provieds "all you can eat" local and national calls.

Thats the way I thought it was, but does it also mean that if you only spend say 15euro on phone calls that the minimum would still be 65 on regular advantage. Bit weird seen as your not getting the 'free calls' that the plus package gives you for the same price. Maybe a typo?

Originally posted by Gideon
    Thats the way I thought it was, but does it also mean that if you only spend say 15euro on phone calls that the minimum would still be 65 on regular advantage. Bit weird seen as your not getting the 'free calls' that the plus package gives you for the same price. Maybe a typo?
    No, Advantage Plus only covers Local and national calls. If you don't make that many local calls, but make a lot of international calls, then Advantage Plus would not be worth your while, and the Advantage bundle would actually be better value. (The €25 minimum for Advantage includes International calls).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

cheers for that, i was just on the edge of the 25euro for calls, only make a very low number of calls from the home phone due to everyone having mobiles. Think the advantage plus account will actually be better over all through out the year, just about :)

Advertisement