Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Help Please

• 09-01-2004 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭

Heh,

Ok i just bought a new FX5900 ultra recently and im going to put it in tonight, now heres the problem -

there is the 4 pin power to go into the back of the card from the psu, i dont have a spare one as they are all used up

1 for dvd rom, 1 for cdrw, 1 for 80gig HDD and other for the 12gig HDD, i also have fancy lights on the pc case and case fan where i used the connectors that came with them to make a full connection so everything in the case worked

so im left with no 4 pin connectors to put into the back of the card :(

what will i do? are they a necessity i take it yes? i have a fx5200 in it atm and that didnt seem to need the 4 pin connector in the back of it (atleast i didnt think so anyway..)

Any ideas? is there a part i can buy to sort this?

ok while writing this i phoned peats and they mentioned a "splitter" but had none in stock till next week..

anywhere else i can get one in dublin city centre? and whats exact name for them anyway?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Yup, you need the extra power connector. The machine won't boot if you don't have it connected afaik. I believe the cables are just called y splitters or power splitters, as seen here.

Unless you're going lanning this weekend I say just unplug the fancy lights until you can get one of those power splitters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

the fancy lights just use a complete connection feylya, the psu 4 pin plugs into it and there is another to plug into the hdd if that makes sense to make a full connection

phoning around looking for power splitters at the moment...

Ah, well then I suggest unplugging either the smaller hard drive, assuming windows isn't on it, or unplugging your DVD or CD-rw drive. Just as a temporary solution til you get a cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

try a PC world. The one in Limerick stocks y splitters as far as i know.

i know of no pc world in dublin city centre personally.

Just phoned a place called IT direct in temple bar which were really helpful that IT guy upstairs recommended to me in work, good place and good help so i would recommend them.

Y splitters = 90 Cent out of there, petes of parnell street said 5 euro when i was on the phone and that i had to wait a week.... bloody cheek

IT Direct phone number for anyones referance or for future use by someone = (01) 670 9522

Cheers

Owen :)

• Advertisement

90 cent?? Jesus, overclockers.co.uk are chargin £1.50 Gotta get me one of those whenever I'm in dublin.

or i could just have looked in the box it came with only to notice there is already a Y connector in there *DOOOOOOOOOOOOOH* :D

oh well, all that fuss over nothing, typical...

guess i learned of another comp store in dublin though which is always handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

If your power supply has that little ammount of connectors i hope its able to take the extra power needed by the fx5900, what PSU is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    If your power supply has that little ammount of connectors i hope its able to take the extra power needed by the fx5900, what PSU is it?

Good point - what is the wattage?

400w dual fans and it has 4 4pin hd connector outputs all used.. just used the Y splitter and everything is fine -

see pic below, most psu i have used have always had 4 4pin connectors only with other ones for floppy, (scsi? some weird looking one anyway, never knew what it done..)

the connections for the lights and side casing fan + illuminous light bit can be seen on the pic -

http://members.boards.ie/bigchief1/DSCF0024.JPG

thats what i was talking about, guess they are a bit like y splitters except just to make a full connection...

card works a treat though from what ive played from it so far (which has been a fair bit!)

[ edit ] And it cost me 40 quid sterling so imagine it would be good enough? or am i wrong ? [/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

[ot]My what hairy legs you have grandma ;) [/ot]

lol bugger off :p

didnt even think of that till you said it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Good lord.
    Socks look like they could do with a introduction to the washing machine too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

hmmm big hairy leg, empty bottle of coke, you wouldnt be into computers would you? :D

Advertisement