Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sporty Car

Options
  • 09-01-2004 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi,

I am an 18 year old student just wondering what would you recommend as a nice sporty car for about 10000 or less. Also 1.4 L is the limit as I want affordable insurance. I would like something which is nice and kitted out e.g bodykit, spoiler etc.

Cheers
    Dec.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

You don't get sporty cars for less than 10k. Unless you want a silly looking micra/punto or somesuch, with alloy wheels, extra fat exhaust, spoilers etc. Except then you'll just have a muck car with extras which make it look plain silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

Renault Megane coupe is a good car.

The 1.4 is quite a sporty engine.

Also the 1.2 Fiat Punto Sporting (it has 6 speed gearbox and the body kit)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Originally posted by [CrimsonGhost]
    You don't get sporty cars for less than 10k. Unless you want a silly looking micra/punto or somesuch, with alloy wheels, extra fat exhaust, spoilers etc. Except then you'll just have a muck car with extras which make it look plain silly.

and of course the go-fast stripes.... yes they really make the car go faster, as does the grand turismo sticker....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

Peugeot 206 1.4 GLX '00. Firedance, only 14k mls, extras incl alloy wheels, a/c, 6 CD changer, full body kit, must be seen, Price: €10,500 Contact: 087-6385506.

Toyota Yaris '01. Black, 17k mls, full body kit, t/w, alloys, CD, Lexus lights, tax 04/04, Price: €11,000 Contact: 086-2574758.
    Conn and Leinster, Web

Opel Corsa '01. GSi full body kit, 17" alloys, quad light front & back, induction kit, first to see will buy, Price: € Contact: 087-1381157.

Citroen Saxo 1.1 '01. Yellow, full body kit with one off spray job, ring for full spec, Price: €10,000 Contact: 086-3870832.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

I thought of the Leon also but will 10k buy a decent one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I recommend you get the bus for 7 more years, son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Tommy Vercetti
    I recommend you get the bus for 7 more years, son.

Thats mighty cheeky for a newbie! :D

Buy an old Spitfire and learn auto-repairs as you go along! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Originally posted by Discovering
    I thought of the Leon also but will 10k buy a decent one?

I have a budget of €17k and I cant find a decent Leon!
    very scarce second hand! oh well another 15years and i'll be able to get insured in a Cupra R, Cant wait!

anyway a small 1litre - 1.3litre car is your best bet unless ya have 6grand plus to spend on insurance!

Fiesta
    Micra
    Saxo
    Clio
    Corsa

personally i think the saxo is the nicest especially the vtr versions,
    but dont put a bodykit on any car, they all look diabolical.

Originally posted by mike65
    Thats mighty cheeky for a newbie! :D

Sorry :( Don't blame me, blame the insurance companies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

How about something different to all the megane and punto crap on the roads?

You could get yourself a 1994/95 Rover 214SEi mint for about €1500 or less. It's got a 1.4 multipoint injection Rover k-series 16v engine with 105PS (103BHP). That's not quite sports car power, but it'll get you from 0 to 60 in a shade under 10 seconds. That's something many 1.6 or 1.8 litre cars won't do - many of which actually claim to be sports cars.

You also get plenty of extras like electric windows, sunroof, central locking, alloy wheels and more. You'll have plenty left out of that 10 grand for insurance too.

washed2.jpg
    lower1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

OMG - take those pictures away from me :eek:

Rovers make Micras seem good ffs. Go to hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 leavingcert2003

full forward

have you a pic of those cars mentioned in your second post

especially yaris

cheers

*nearly chokes* your actually interested in buying a yaris with a bodykit!?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I feel sick having read and seen some of the posts on this thread!

When ever was a yaris, micra, fiesta, saxo, clio, punto, corsa or a fecking rover ever sporty?

They are all maybe said to be sporty by their makers to sell them but they definitley are not.

Their all old women cars. I've seen them all at shows with kits of all sorts, shapes, descriptions and sizes on and their still little granny run arounds underneath.

The megane is the best car mentioned in this thread that i can see, the 206 1.4 is also a good car, bit on the small side though. The Leon is excellent but your not likely to get one on that budget.

Does the 10k have to cover the insurance and tax as well as the car?

btw some 1.4 litres are just as expensive to insure as 1.6 litres

Are you going to insure the car in your own name?

Running a car while being a student is a very expensive task...i've been driving a 1.6 litre nissan twin cam for the past few years while going to college and it just eats through your funds.

Answer these q's and i'll think of some cars

Farlz

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by ColinM
    You could get yourself a 1994/95 Rover 214SEi mint for about €1500 or less. It's got a 1.4 multipoint injection Rover k-series 16v engine with 105PS (103BHP).
    You sure about that? I know the 1.4 K-Series in my MG-ZR (dearly departed) threw out 103ps but as far as I was aware that was due to the recent addition of different throttle bodies. Hence the "normal" 1.4 K-Series in the Rover 25 1.4 put out something like 83 ps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You were fooled by the marketing Robbo. Don't worry, it happens to many people. The MG-ZR's are nothing special, well apart from the price, which is pretty special.

yaris, micra, fiesta, saxo, clio, punto, corsa

never said any of them were sporty just said they are the only cars he should be really lookin at due to his circumstances, insurance is even brutal on them cars these days!

Megane and Leon are nice but insurance is expensive, I've tried to get decent quotes on both!

The 206 is a womens car

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

When ever was a yaris, micra, fiesta, saxo, clio, punto, corsa or a fecking rover ever sporty?

They are all maybe said to be sporty by their makers to sell them but they definitley are not.

Their all old women cars. I've seen them all at shows with kits of all sorts, shapes, descriptions and sizes on and their still little granny run arounds underneath.

The megane is the best car mentioned in this thread that i can see, the 206 1.4 is also a good car, bit on the small side though. The Leon is excellent but your not likely to get one on that budget.

So the Leon is excellent and the rest are old women cars? LOL. The Seat Leon 1.4 produces 75 bhp and is a dog slow car. In comparsion the Rover 200 with the same size engine produces 103 bhp in a lighter car. The Leon is also beaten by the Corolla, Astra, Megane and others in terms of power output. Even the 1.6 Leon isn't much cop compared to its class rivals. It's a good car but sporty - no. Likewise the 206 is no more sporty than a similar engined Clio, Fiesta or Yaris. None of these cars are sporty anyway. The best of the bunch is probably the Rover - not the one that ColinM posted the pic of, but the post 1995 200 which is a farily nice looking car and nice to drive. The OP could get one for around 2-3 grand easily. assuming he has a budget of 10k that would leave plenty for insurance (if he can get a quote) and plenty left for the inevitable blown head gaskets that the Rover K-Series engine is notorious for.

BrianD3

• Advertisement

Originally posted by leavingcert2003
    full forward

have you a pic of those cars mentioned in your second post

especially yaris

cheers

Sorry leavingcert2003, Buy and sell dont do pics. These are private adds taken from www.buyandsell.ie

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by MojoMaker
    You were fooled by the marketing Robbo. Don't worry, it happens to many people. The MG-ZR's are nothing special, well apart from the price, which is pretty special.
    Well I was quite fond of mine, until a truck intervened...

Originally posted by BrianD3
    So the Leon is excellent and the rest are old women cars? LOL. The Seat Leon 1.4 produces 75 bhp and is a dog slow car. In comparsion the Rover 200 with the same size engine produces 103 bhp in a lighter car. The Leon is also beaten by the Corolla, Astra, Megane and others in terms of power output. Even the 1.6 Leon isn't much cop compared to its class rivals. It's a good car but sporty - no. Likewise the 206 is no more sporty than a similar engined Clio, Fiesta or Yaris. None of these cars are sporty anyway. The best of the bunch is probably the Rover - not the one that ColinM posted the pic of, but the post 1995 200 which is a farily nice looking car and nice to drive. The OP could get one for around 2-3 grand easily. assuming he has a budget of 10k that would leave plenty for insurance (if he can get a quote) and plenty left for the inevitable blown head gaskets that the Rover K-Series engine is notorious for.

BrianD3

True true, but an 18 y/o student probably won't fancy shelling out on the inevitable repair bills that tend to follow Rovers like a bad smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Originally posted by Robbo
    You sure about that? I know the 1.4 K-Series in my MG-ZR (dearly departed) threw out 103ps but as far as I was aware that was due to the recent addition of different throttle bodies. Hence the "normal" 1.4 K-Series in the Rover 25 1.4 put out something like 83 ps.
    No, I'm pretty sure it is 105PS (metric BHP), which is 103 imperial BHP.
    The 1.4 K 16v MPi in the ZR 105 is the same as was in the SEi as far as I know. There were some differences in the engine management system in the ZR though, and the ignition system was different.

There are 8 valve K-series in use in some "bubble-shape" 200s / 25s with a BHP of something like 83BHP alright, and I think there's also a 16v one that is eletronically limited too as far as I remember.

Advertisement