Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink going up again

• 09-01-2004 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if there was an increase in the budget but price of pints seems to be going up everywhere.
    Was at Hogans last night. Pint of Heineken was €4.20, now €4.25. Stell was €4.50, now €4.70.
    I heard that 4 Dame Lane has pints of lager for €5.40 during late drinking hours.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

E5.40 for a pint of beer you've got to be ****ing joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Try €5.60 for a 330ml bottle of Corona in Cafe en Seine if you want a real laugh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

jesus, thats a disgrace :eek: :eek: :eek:. why do people go into these places? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

does that cafe en saine actually do god business it must do if they can charge prices like that.

your best hope is the off licence and take the boose home with you

1. You can drink till 5am at home where as in pubs you have to finnish when they close
    2. You will be able to smoke at home after the smoking ban comes into effect in pubs
    3 You dont have to worry about some scumbag you dont know picking a fight with you at home
    4 The drink is way cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 daveydub

Yeah the city has gone mad for the price of drink... I was charged €4.50 for a Guinness??? And places like Cafe en Seine which has to be said there is nice decor but I wouldn't pay those prices to be surrounded by a load of pretentious gits :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by daveydub
    ....pay those prices to be surrounded by a load of pretentious gits :rolleyes:

...and we have our reason why people go there and pay those prices *clap* clap* clap* :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by fcddunne
    1. You can drink till 5am at home where as in pubs you have to finnish when they close
    Why stop at 5am? :D

</offtopic>

The only drawback with drinking at home is that you have neighbours who mightn't appreciate the sounds of craic till into the wee small hours. It's also tough to get *all* of your mates out to someones house every weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Originally posted by fcddunne
    3 You dont have to worry about some scumbag you dont know picking a fight with you at home

And why fight strangers when you can fight friends and family at home :D

To stay on topic, I had a few great pints of Guinness at JJs in Aungier St for €3.65 each. OK, its not exactly Cafe en Seine, but its got much better music.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

the likes of Cafe en Seine and Zanzibar cater for a different crowd than the usual Pub and if they are stupid enough to pay those rediculous prices then they deserve to be ripped off. I was in Cafe en Seine once a few years back and have neved graced their doors again because of the rediculous prices and rude staff. When the normal pub (ie. not the 'trendy' bars) start charging €5 for a pint things will have gone completley nuts. As it is it's bad enough. Remember, keep sending your prices to drinkfeckgirls.com!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

http://www.drinkfeckgirls.com/fam.htm

Some very dodgy statements in the above link.

Is there any body that controls the price levels in pubs such as Comreg for Boardband?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I was in Liverpool at the weekend and paid £1.50 (€2.16) for a pint of Carlsberg in a city centre pub! Man,did enjoy that cheap pint!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Paid €3.90 for pint of guinness in Crowes in Ballsbridge on saturday afternoon, found myself very surprised at that, had a fiver in my hand and was waiting to see if it cost a few cents more than that before handing it to the nice barman.

And wtf is €2.60 about for a glass of coke?? You get less than you would in a can and every pub I've been into recently has charged the same :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah, I'm cutting back on the drink because it's so ****ing expensive. Can't afford to get drunk, so might as well not try. But when I go for something non-alchoholic it's a rip-off as well. Got charged €2.70 for this tiny bottle of pineapple juice the other night. Just barely filled a small glass that was half-full of ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    But when I go for something non-alchoholic it's a rip-off as well
    iced-waters all round!

Originally posted by lafortezza
    iced-waters all round!

There's an idea. How difficult would it be for a group of people, say 20 to go to a Pub that is blatantly ripping us off and everyone just order tap water???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I have to say more and more people i know, are staying home, or going to a friends for drinks.

At christmas, i didint go to the pub once!

There is a point where higher prices will rusult in lower turnover, when enough people stop paying those bar prices.

Only then will the publican's have to reconsider their whole pricing cartel.
    I wouldnt mind seeing the government reducing VAT either, but I can t see that happening in the current climate.

X

Originally posted by LFCFan
    There's an idea. How difficult would it be for a group of people, say 20 to go to a Pub that is blatantly ripping us off and everyone just order tap water???

You'd probably be kicked out. They usually don't let parties in unless they're going to buy drink.

Can't afford to get drunk, so might as well not try.

Do you only drink to get drunk? Seek help :(

Sorry Mam.

Why the hell else would you drink an intoxicating substance?

"Mmmm, beer, the alchohol is just a bonus that we don't care about".

"I don't smoke weed to get stoned, I do it for the taste of it".

You'd probably be kicked out. They usually don't let parties in unless they're going to buy drink.

they wouldn't have to go in together or even be known to be together once inside. A constant flow of people ordering tap water

• Advertisement

Sorry Mam.

Why the hell else would you drink an intoxicating substance?

"Mmmm, beer, the alchohol is just a bonus that we don't care about".

"I don't smoke weed to get stoned, I do it for the taste of it".

And the only way to enjoy alcohol is to take it to excess? Wow, if you mean what you say I think thats very sad.

I've checked your profile. I note you're only 21 and on work experience. In that case I hope you grow out of it before you do any real harm.

I won't say any more on the subject because this is way off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Originally posted by PWEI
    I was in Liverpool at the weekend and paid £1.50 (€2.16) for a pint of Carlsberg in a city centre pub! Man,did enjoy that cheap pint!!!

Ah the greatness of the 'pool !
    That would be about right for carlsberg (my tipple of choice :D ) although you will get places selling fosters or stella @~1.25 Better still, bottles of glorious carlsberg export @1.25
    Then the all you can eat chineses starting from stg3.95 to anywhere around stg10 !! :D:D

Can't wait for the Seacat to start up again in Feb, so I can resume my trips every few weeks.
    /me don't fly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by LFCFan
    When the normal pub (ie. not the 'trendy' bars) start charging €5 for a pint things will have gone completley nuts.

They already have IMO. The late bars used to charge less than a normal pub at the cheapest place now.
    I remember paying £3.10 (€3.90) for a pint of lager, prior to March 2002, in a late bar and thinking that I'm being ripped off. Now the cheapest pint you can get in the city is €4. And every pub I went to jacked up prices as soon as the dual price display was lifted (end of Feb 2002 IIRC). No cartel my a$$!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Originally posted by Thorbar
    http://www.drinkfeckgirls.com/fam.htm

Some very dodgy statements in the above link.

Is there any body that controls the price levels in pubs such as Comreg for Boardband?

These have been researched and credited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

No there is not, afaik the gov't had the regulation lifted two or so years ago, so pubs can charge what they want.

Advertisement