Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL installations

• 09-01-2004 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I have head that eircom kick up a fuss when you want the splitter box installed away from the main line into the house.

Is it possible to 1. Get an electritian to run a normal phone line to where you want the PC and eircom will be able to use that wire and install the splitter at the end of it.

2. For self installs... will the splitter work on any point in the house, if not what requirements are tehre for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by STaN
    I have head that eircom kick up a fuss when you want the splitter box installed away from the main line into the house.

Is it possible to 1. Get an electritian to run a normal phone line to where you want the PC and eircom will be able to use that wire and install the splitter at the end of it.

2. For self installs... will the splitter work on any point in the house, if not what requirements are tehre for it.
    It's not a "splitter".

DSL uses frequencies above the range required for ordinary analogue phone traffic. By installing a filter, you can ensure that there isn't any spillover from the analog traffic into the frequencies used for DSL. For self install, you just install the provided filters in each phone socket, and then you can plug your DSL hardware into whichever socket is most convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

hmm, so any electrician can put a dsl point in anywhere once the house is enabled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by STaN
    hmm, so any electrician can put a dsl point in anywhere once the house is enabled?
    A 4 year old can put a dsl point in anywhere once the house is enabled. I'm sure an electrician would be more than happy to take you money to do it too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Ripwave
    A 4 year old can put a dsl point in anywhere once the house is enabled. I'm sure an electrician would be more than happy to take you money to do it too.

Not if they use ****e quality cable they can't :D
    also you may not want to go crazy and use for example a 50M coil of cable from your main point into the house
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Once your line is DSL enabled, just Plug & Play... Unless there is any complication like alarm, etc... :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement