Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VCD burning software

• 09-01-2004 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this should go here...

Anyone know where I can get free software that burns to VCD format??

cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

i got a demo of nero 6 that works till the end of january and that burns vcds perfectly.

dw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Not free but apparently VCDEasy is the biz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You can buy nero6 off komplett for Euro6 or 7 I think.
    Saw it really cheap somewhere recently enough anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

When you create your VCD mpg/mpeg file, use any program to just burn a standard data cd, and you can then play the files back on your standalone player.

The one disadvantage with this is that the max you can burn on a disc is 700mb as compared to 800mb if you burn an "(s)vcd" cd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    When you create your VCD mpg/mpeg file, use any program to just burn a standard data cd, and you can then play the files back on your standalone player.

I don't think that is correct - there is a specific layout the standard requires and the mpeg file has to be called avseq01.dat.

There are directories on the disc called Cdi, Mpegav, VCD and one or two more.

• Advertisement

I don't think that is correct

When you burn an (s)VCD, it makes those folders you mentioned, but they are usually only used for extra stuff, like menus etc. The item thats played is the mpg file.

I know for a fact that if i burn just mpg files onto a cd-r as normal data, my DVD will play them back perfectly (as long as they were encoded to the (S)VCD standard.) But as i said, technically it isn;t an (S)VCD. You will lose out on the 100mb of space allowed by the (S)VCD burning standard, and also you can;t have menus etc.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have noticed that some DVD players won't play MPG files, but will play them if written as a VCD.

I have noticed that some DVD players won't play MPG files, but will play them if written as a VCD.

Thats something i didn't know. I must be one of the lucky ones then, because my player plays .mpg's as VCD's, or burnt as normal data cd's. I'll keep that in mind though in future.

Advertisement