Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Upload/Download question

• 09-01-2004 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Dumb question coming up!

Does the 8gb cap apply to upload/download or just downloads?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by markyboy
    Dumb question coming up!

Does the 8gb cap apply to upload/download or just downloads?
    Yes!

(insert emoticon of choice here)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Thank you!

I suppose that's the end of my "goodwill to all mankind" phase ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Nobody's 100% sure, not even the "Customer support" team at IOL. Assume it is upload/download, as that would provide the least value, which is generally the rule in this country (also, IIRC they now phrase it as a data transfer limit rather than the original download limit phrase, they wouldn't have changed the phrase if they meant it was just a download limit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

It is 8 gig up or 8 gig down. It is NOT combined.

iol.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

That would seem to me to be stating that you have 8GB to either upload or download, or a combination of both, not that you have 8GB to upload and 8GB to download. This would also seem to be confirmed in the FAQ:
    Q. Is there going to be a data transfer limit?
    A. From the 1st October you will be entitled to free transfer of up to 8 Gigabytes of data in any given month.
    Notice it refers to a data transfer limit, not a download limit. It used to refer to a download limit, so I would imagine that they changed it to data transfer because it was not purely a download limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

It is upload or download. Here's more proof if you want it. This picture taken by someone else show's a warning saying "at yor current level you will go over the download limit in 2 days". If it was upload/download combined the user would already be over the limit because they had a combined usage of 8.44 gigs.

haha forgot the pic, here we go take 2.

boards.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Do we have to have this thread every week? This issue was done to death last week.

Advertisement