Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To all people with a radeon 9800 pro or any other card that needs own power....

• 09-01-2004 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

I have a chieftec Dragon full tower case in silver(the ones on komplett.ie). It has its own 350(or is it 360watt) power supply. I have a few spare power cables but they wont be able to reach the graphics card when i get it..

So how did you people get around this? Or did you not even have this problem...im contemplating getting rid of my old 20gig hard drive i use for downloads and freeing up the power cable(cos thats the only one that will reach by the looks of it...:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

the graphics card will come with its own power cables. other than that, try linking up the cables? as in plugging them into eachother until they reach the graphics card (or port or whichever).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Are you sure it comes with its own power cable? I thought you plugges a molex connector into it?

If it does though, where does it plug into? the motherboard?

well by power cable i assumed you meant the red, yellow and some other color (black i think) wire? the one the plugs into the psu (which should have a bunch of them sticking out). if you're talking about the little thin wire, that plugs into the motherboard yes. the power cables can link into eachother....other than that either you'be mistaken words for other ones or i'm just horribly confused (probably the latter). but either way, the card comes with its own wires (or at least it should if it's boxed). out of curiosity, which card are you getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Are you sure it comes with its own power cable? I thought you plugges a molex connector into it?

If it does though, where does it plug into? the motherboard?

The GFX card (usually) comes with a female to male molex adapter cable, to extend\add another molex to your existing ones. The motherboard doesnt supply power in molex form (?!), all your power needs are met by the PSU. If they wont reach and you have no Female-Male adapters, goto Peats\Maplins and buy one.

The idea of the extra molex connection is to get extra power direct, without going the motherboard.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

On the upper right hand side of the card, if you are looking at it from the front of the cooler, is the four pin molex connector needed to power the card.

sm_card.jpg

thats what i was going on about. I more than likely mixed up my wording...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    The GFX card (usually) comes with a female to male molex adapter cable, to extend\add another molex to your existing ones. The motherboard doesnt supply power in molex form (?!), all your power needs are met by the PSU. If they wont reach and you have no Female-Male adapters, goto Peats\Maplins and buy one.

The idea of the extra molex connection is to get extra power direct, without going the motherboard.

Matt

uhh...yeah thats exactly what i was trying to say! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

you should be fine with cable length.

I have a chieftech dragon case (360w psu) had no real troubles hooking up my 9800.

Just arse around with your cable setup a bit till you get it right.
    I had to mess around and reorganise a bit but you should definately have enough cables, the psu has a bucket load of em and you should not have any real problems
    :-)

If that doesn't work out for you get a y splitter(or three) from PC world or where ever and chain link em till you reach the card.

Would recommend you put the card on it's own seperate power cable from the psu and not link in any other device onto it. Card sucks up a lot of juice and i had one or two problems when i had the card and another device on the same cable. Left the card alone on it's own cable and works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by uberpixie

Would recommend you put the card on it's own seperate power cable from the psu and not link in any other device onto it. Card sucks up a lot of juice and i had one or two problems when i had the card and another device on the same cable. Left the card alone on it's own cable and works fine.

Aha , now this is where I jump in with my question . Is there any set way to connect up ? , without opening my case now I think I have 3 power leads comming from my psu for HD's CD/dvd drives video.... In my case I have 2 HD's , 2 cd/dvd drives , a floppy drive and a 9800 pro , is there any set way I should divide out the power ?

John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

don't worry my 9800pro came with a cable that connects into an molex from the power supply and then on the end of it, it has two molex connectors.

this allows one to go to the gfx card and one to go to say like a hard drive or something to that effect i didn't need the cable i'm using a Coolermaster atc200 case

Advertisement