Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

voodoo cards

Options
  • 04-03-2000 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I've got a p166, 32mb system, and i is wonderin which is the best voodoo card for this spec.

Voodoo2, Voodoo 3 2000/3000/3500, and while considerin which cards are better, remember to say how much they cost aswell smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

The one that will give YOU the best performance per pound ratio for those specs is a voodoo 2. The V3 would be wasted really, and so would your money. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 delly_monster

erm not V3000, because no AGP in 166 (most prob.) V2000 is PCI and cheaper and faster than your 2D card plus a Voodoo 2.

My advice though is to save for a bit longer, buy a cheap supersocket7 board slap in a cheap k6-400Mhz, then a few more weeks saving and then buy a GEFORCE.

Or fuk all that and wait for playstation 2, which is on paper at least twice as fast as your most ninja current PC with a GEFORCE DDR, if not three times faster, oh yeah and DVD. Then plug it into your monitor and your away!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

you should be able to pick up a 2nd hand v2 for about 25 quid id imagine.
    with that system the card wont be the bottleneck, so no point in shelling out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

I can't find any voodoo2 cards anywhere and especially for £25, so does anyone know of anyone selling them, or could someone get me one?

Looks like i might get voodoo3 2000 for £70 sterling

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 04-03-2000).]

• Advertisement

Emm that's a bit expensive, anyone selling V2/3 or can get me one?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

go into dixons and ghet a v3 2000 pci for 70 quid. save your sterling for something else.
    at leas if you do decide to upgrade your pc by building one (only way to go really) then at least you wont have to fork out for a decent card.

Ta, Do dixons in the square sell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Im waiting for the v5 600 to come out.
    128 mb ram and it needs its own power pack smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

power suply at lans is tuff allready smile.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    Ps 0wns U

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

You can get a V3 2000 or 3000 in PCI format
    Go to the likes of www.Dabs.com and order online
    good prices and fast delivery times
    hope this helps
    Coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Venom, what would you do with a ninja graphics card? It's not like you play or anything..... smile.gif

And John, how would you know about power supplies to LANs? Ure generally fast asleep at the things. smile.gif

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

God, Venom... Wow, that's amazing. People still going for crappy 3DFX cards... Astounding.

I notice their market share is down AGAIN this quarter. Hmmm, 8% share... You gotta laugh at them telling reporters that NVIDIA weren't at Comdex because they were "scared of 3DFX".... Ooh, would that be NVIDIA "52% of the graphics market" NVIDIA? Hmm.

The V5 will already be out of date by the time it comes out. NVIDIA have been showing off NV11 and NV15 silicon behind closed doors (the GeFORCE 256 is NV10), and they're looking at reducing the power level required (no more silly cooling) and increasing the speed massively. MMMMMmmmm. And as for the NV20.... drooooool.

3DFX are out of this race. That's what you get for having substandard silicon; and, worse again, for supporting nonstandard APIs. Silly, very silly; 3DFX's mucking with GLIDE about has meant that it's NVIDIA who now have free reign to set the Direct3D and OpenGL standards.

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oi,
    i have a voodoo 3 and im happy with it.
    hmm, but then again im not on eof these people who go about sticking their pcs in liquid nitrogen to get an extra 3 fps
    it works. i get good frame rates and it lets me open word. what bloody more do i want?
    when i actually own my own company and make a profit of 20 billion quid a year, then i can afford the gforce 5million xtc with titanium lamination and go faster stripes.
    i really dont understand the whole, my graphics card is better than yours type posts.
    even worse is the 'the graphics acrd i dont have is better than yours.
    some people are happy with their little graphics card.
    at least they are compatible with just about everything including the toaster.
    have a look back over the past few months and see how many gforce posts there are complaining about their card not working with this or that or whatever.
    bah...i dont care anyway. im just board with the boards.
    there is never any entertainment here anymore. its all so homogonised

Advertisement