Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Strange (electrical?) problem

Options
  • 09-01-2004 9:02pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've a 1998 Rover 400 1.6 with a personality all it's own.

Lately, it developed a charming new habit of cutting out when I drove through puddles (Fiat Ritmo, anyone?) Waiting about ten minutes would usually allow it to start again.

It got worse - more recently, it decided it wouldn't start on rainy mornings. It would turn over and over without a sign of ignition, except for an occasional cough when I stopped cranking. Again, sometimes leaving it for a while and trying later worked.

A few days ago, when it wouldn't start, I lifted the bonnet - again. Nothing looked wet, although it all looked mildly damp - the way everything does in the humidity of a wet morning. I couldn't see any obvious problem with the coil or distributor, so I decided to check if there was water near the plugs. I removed the cover from the head, and unplugged the leads one at a time. All four looked clean and dry, so I reconnected them. When I tried again, it started instantly, and it hasn't given a problem since.

I mean, WTF? It's not like one of the leads wasn't connected, surely - it ran very smoothly once it did decide to run. Is it possible that one of the leads was almost not connected, and it took a cold morning for it to become a problem?

I'd love to hear some informed opinion on this. It's not like I can be certain it's fixed, so I'm not sure how much I can trust it. Having said that, her indoors tells me she's driven through several puddles since, without a problem.

On a probably unrelated note, there's a lot of whitish cruft around the positive terminal of the battery. It has a pale blue tinge that to my untrained eye suggests copper sulphate - does this mean that leaking sulphuric acid from the battery is corroding the copper battery lead connector? How big a problem is this likely to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sounds like the water was shorting something and/or something was slightly loose.

How old is the battery? Get a clean (no grease dirt etc) and clean all the contacts, then use a wire brush on the corroded one until you can see clean metal and no corrosion. Corrosion tends to feed on corrosion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Had the same problem with a rover 620, even driving behind a truck in rainy weather would cause it to cut out.

If you are stuck some rainy morning take the leads and distributor cap out and pop them in the oven / get a hairdryer to them for a while.....

Or else buy a new distributor cap and leads and it should sort you.

I remember all the wet rainy days getting out my extension lead and Peter Mark hair dryer... unplugging all the leads and drying each spark plug one by one.

Rovers=sheite unless its a 75.

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I had a similar problem with an old scooter a few years ago. The spark plug (it only had 1 :)) was loose, making it very hard to start and very easy to stall at traffic lights etc. Cleaning and properly installing the plug fixed the problem.

Edit: Oo! 6000 posts. I truely have no life.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Update on this:

Seems it's a problem with the coil. If the cover gets cracked or damaged, moisture can get into the coil, shorting it and causing ignition failure - apparently not an unusual problem with Rovers.

Due to get it looked at in Galway tomorrow - I'll be dosing it with Damp Start and avoiding puddles. If y'all see a green Rover weaving around damp patches on the N17 tomorrow, gissa wave! ;)

Advertisement