Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does your Dlink pull stunts like this?

• 10-01-2004 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

i don't know what's the problem!

i have Dlink 604+

i'm working

the ADSL like led in on, after day or two(the periods differ but it's usually 1.5 days) it turns off! everything else is on and ok! i can't access the internet, i can't access the other computers on the network, i have to take the power plug out, and then insert it back in, and then it connects to the internet and continues to work like it used to till it turns off again after some time - ususally 1-2 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭markpb

Our DSL-504 has been doing similar things recently. Every few nights the router seems to hang for a few minutes and all the network connections time out. It could be rebooting, I've never bothered to check.

More puzzling is that when MSN Messenger 6 on one of the machines tries to receive a file, all outbound network activity on the router dies but internal network connections continue to work okay. Even if the router is powered off and back on, the problem remains. Rebooting the offending machine fixes the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

personally don't like dlink modems, have had 1 too many problems with the one in work, the main one being, it works one day then the next NOTHING! none of the configurations have being changed, it's set perfectly, windows detects it, it works to the extent that it knows the connection speed and won't connect for anything! :P other modems work fine and all it's settings are perfect, even tried a second model of the same card, exact same problem. Anywho, uses a usb noname modem now, works grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Is the modem sitting on a switch or other equipment, or is it near a radiator - i.e. could it be overheating? Is it possible it's being DoS'd? Have you checked if it's using the latest firmware/OS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

We've a 504 Rev B here too.
    Piece of shite.
    Hasn't hung in a while after we moved it, but the cheap plastic casing with damn all ventilation is a poor design.
    Afaik the switch chip is seperate from the DSP so if that hung the internal net would still run fine.
    How long have you had it?
    Might consider getting an old socket7 heatsink and gluing it on with Arctic Silver thermal adhesive?
    If there's enough space could even have a small fan ontop.
    I'm considering it with our one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've a dlink 504 also, and noticed the msn thing to. surest way to kill it is to have someone try to send something on msn..it completely locks it up..only solved by disconnecting power and reconnecting.

As to heat, i've got mine sitting on top of a teacup of all things..seems to allow good air circulation!, as long as ppl dont send me files on msn its all fine.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

found the solution!

http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/drivers/files/routers/DSL-xxx_Disabling_Proxy_DNS.pdf

also upgrade to the latest firmware!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

to solve the msn messenger issue on the DLINK 504 rev b...

u need to upgrade to the 14uk firmware.

link:

ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-504_rev_b/dsl-504_fw_v22100206b14uk.zip

I was on 12uk when I upgraded. (If you're not, i suggest ringing 1800 552 730 and asking them, there tech support were brilliant)

If you are on firmware 12uk, just login to the router control panel, go to maintenance, upgrade firmware, browse to the 14uk xDSL file and press ok. Wait a few mins for it to reboot and then ur problems with msn will be gone.

Hope this helps, but don't blame me if doing the above fries ur router. I recommend ringing the guys, I went through this with them, couldn't have been more helpful.

Advertisement